Old 11-10-2010, 12:05 PM   #151
TheDog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg
cool, so Bjorn is back in the rallye saddle on a berg again

both 650's ?
Yes, It´s the same 'ol 650 that run once more in the Tuareg Rally 2011, Morocco.
This time I'll replace the Meca tower and fairing with a standard KTM/Husaberg triple clamp mounted bracket. LESS IS ABSOLUTELY MORE!
TheDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:10 AM   #152
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,198
Rally navigation towers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilbara
I seem to recall talking or hearing Annie talking about it during the Safari a couple of years ago. Don't recall the detail but I seem to remember her commenting to me at a check point or somewhere about how 'she was not used to it' and was said in some negative tone. I am sure SafariBerg will set the record straight here though.

I would see a high amount of steered inertia from all that equipment especially being so far from the turning axis.

Quote: SafariBerg; Yes in 2009 Safari we went with a smallish triple clamp mounted fairing and nav gear set up. While the riders Annie, David Schwarz & Andrew Coaker said it was ok they all felt it made the steering noticeably heavier

For 2010 Safari I asked the riders, Annie & David again as well as Ze Helio for their preferred set up, options being
  1. Dakar style fairing head stem mounted - like Mecasystem ones
  2. 2009 Safari small fairing again
  3. enduro lights with bar mounted nav gear - al la GHR
All 3 said they wanted light simple enduro style set up

This worked well, BUT again at the end of the event all 3 riders commented that they still felt it on the bars compared to the Dakar style stem mounted fairings they had all used a lot before.

So for 2011 Safari it will be a hybrid, reduced Mecasystem fairing mount bracket off the head stem with enduro light & mask plus nav gear = light simple cockpit to KISS and mounted off the frame not the steering

So far we have tried the 2 set ups above and the more traditional Dakar style, this is the Mecasystem nav mounts & fairing from their KTM530 kit which pretty much bolts on.

So I hink the hybrid will be a best of both worlds hopefully

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:12 AM   #153
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

While we're on Husabergs

Hasse J (a Swedish mate of mine) took a few leaves out of SafariBergs playbook, and over the summer built this "rallye lite" FE570 using the MecaSystem fairing/nav' tower concept (from the EXC 530 kit).

Using the standard 8 litre Husa' tank, plus the 4 litre 70 degrees racing rear subframe tank, the bike is as slim and nimble as the original enduro bike... And Hasse reckons with the FI motor, those 12 liters will be good for 140 - 160 km's or there abouts.

With the cockpit mounted off the headtube; the weight is off the bars (it steers and turns lightly) and the fairing shields all the nav gear/electrics nicely. Just a bit stiffer in the springrate and bump up the damping on the forks a tad, to cope with the few extra kilo's up the front... and it's a pleasure to ride!

Having ridden it a few weeks back, the only thing I can say (personally) that is a bit of a drawback is the obscured vision forward in technical terrain... I nicknamed it the Blue Rhino. While you don't notice it so much at speed, in open terrain (looking up ahead), the high screen creates a bit of a "blind spot" when the going gets tight (or cresting dunes for example)... but hey... that pretty normal for a "fairing style" Dakar bike.

The above set-up would probably make for a very light and nimble nav- rally/enduro style race, like Sardinia or the Italian championship events.

For TUAREG 2011 we are going to build two similar FE450's using a small enduro mask/roadbook/ICO set up off the triple clamps and the garden variety Garmin GPS on the bars. By using the standard Husa' tank, and the 70 degree racing rear subfram tank (a' la' above), we have a lean/mean rallye (lite) machine. For the longer stages we have the option of throwing on the Safari/Aqualine rear side tank for the extra 10 liters (if needed), which on the 450 should be ample for up to about 250 km's. For anything more than that there is the possibility of also mounting the front auxilliary Safari/Aqualine tanks (as pictured on Annie/safariBergs bikes at top) which fit over the top of the radiators (where the plastic shrouds normallly go) and these would give ample fuel range on a DAKAR /FIM style rally (250 km minimum refuel distance) plus some safety margin.

Looks like there are going to be afew Husaberg Rally bikes around in the near future.

Quote:

Quote:
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."

troy safari carpente screwed with this post 11-29-2010 at 07:33 AM
Old 12-01-2010, 11:39 AM   #154
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post

SafariBerg, Troy
How have these rear tanks held up in so far as maintaining their shape in the heat/sun? Any issues with them changing shape/growing/becoming difficult to mount again?

It seems to be a quite frequent complaint with various sorts of Aqualine tanks. Just wondering what the experience has been so far with these rear tanks.
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:21 PM   #155
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookymoo View Post
SafariBerg, Troy
How have these rear tanks held up in so far as maintaining their shape in the heat/sun? Any issues with them changing shape/growing/becoming difficult to mount again?

It seems to be a quite frequent complaint with various sorts of Aqualine tanks. Just wondering what the experience has been so far with these rear tanks.
The complaints (I've heard/read about) with regard to Safari/Aqualine tanks changing form/expanding/difficulties with re-mounting etc. have (in my experience) been mostly to do with those two VERY large capacity (44 liter and 30 liter versions) front tanks they produced for the 950/990 Adv and 950 SE respectively...

Not an excuse; but more an explanation for this; could be the extremely large volume of the tanks (in relation to motorcycle application) coupled with the fact that they are mounted above the engine, and many been used in very hot desert climate (air temps of 35 degree C +). The combination of wieght, heat and fuel expansion could account perhaps for the excessive "stretch factor". But to be honest... I've seen similar happen with other brand large capacity aftermarket plastic tanks in desert temperatures as well... as far back as the 80's and 90's.

I believe that some changes to the early production runs was made to address some of theses issues... what the result (improvement) has been I am not sure.

With regards to the REAR tanks you enquire; Safari/Aqualine make rear subframe tanks for the EXC, WRF, CRF and now FE Husa bikes, similar in principle to those pictured above. All are around the 8 to 10 liter mark there abouts and mount away from any direct heat source (an aluminium/carbon slip on sliencer generates nowhere near the heat of an engine). As such there is nowhere near the weight/heat factors placed on these tanks and as yet; I am not aware of any major expansion/fitment problems... but SafariBerg (who has run them on his team bikes at the 2009 and 2010 Australian Safari's) will be able to give some more detail.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 12-01-2010, 10:44 PM   #156
SafariBerg OP
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,927
Thumb

Quote:
SafariBerg, Troy
Quote:
With regards to the REAR tanks you enquire; Safari/Aqualine make rear subframe tanks for the EXC, WRF, CRF and now FE Husa bikes, similar in principle to those pictured above. All are around the 8 to 10 liter mark there abouts and mount away from any direct heat source (an aluminium/carbon slip on sliencer generates nowhere near the heat of an engine). As such there is nowhere near the weight/heat factors placed on these tanks and as yet; I am not aware of any major expansion/fitment problems... but SafariBerg (who has run them on his team bikes at the 2009 and 2010 Australian Safari's) will be able to give some more detail.
yeah as Troy mentions we have now used them since Safari 2009, a bit under 50,000km all up, we have had no issues with any of the tanks changing shape etc front or rear and have swapped them between bikes a number of times. I think given the couple of major crashes that have occured that the tanks are very destructo proof, the mount brackets also are top quality. A couple of the tank sets this year did last year as well so individual tanks now have around 10,000km on them and I would happily use them for the next couple of years
Old 12-02-2010, 12:33 AM   #157
David P.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Some pics of Ronnie Bodingers and Thomas Berglunds lovely Dakar Husabergs. We have helped them out by supplying our navigation brackets and mufflers for these bikes. The fairings are not yet done, but they almost look better like this..

Old 12-02-2010, 01:02 AM   #158
SafariBerg OP
Oz Safari Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P. View Post
Some pics of Ronnie Bodingers and Thomas Berglunds lovely Dakar Husabergs. We have helped them out by supplying our navigation brackets and mufflers for these bikes. The fairings are not yet done, but they almost look better like this..
Looks like the stock radiators ?
is there 2 fans ?

also I can see what appear to be 2 oil coolers ? a 690 style one and a cylinder style behind it ? how much oil does the system now hold ?

is it the stock headlight ?

I can see the bikes are running a 320mm front disc, we ran a 310mm disc off the KTM 690R on Ze Helio's bike and he found it a very worth while upgrade, so the 320mm should do the trick

only the stock rear wheel ? no cush hub ?

stock 22mm offset clamps ?
Old 12-02-2010, 01:19 AM   #159
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Quote:
The complaints (I've heard/read about) with regard to Safari/Aqualine tanks changing form/expanding/difficulties with re-mounting etc. have (in my experience) been mostly to do with those two VERY large capacity (44 liter and 30 liter versions) front tanks they produced for the 950/990 Adv and 950 SE respectively...
Sure. The have been many reports of issues with the big 950/990A tanks.

However, more recently I was reading this : http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=55 and the same subject cropped up.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:43 AM   #160
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
However, more recently I was reading this : http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=55 and the same subject cropped up.
Well there you go... though I notice Jen (still) has the same tank mounted on her WRF in readiness for the 2011 DAKAR?

Quote:

Quote:
Old 12-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #161
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Quote:
Well there you go... though I notice Jen (still) has the same tank mounted on her WRF in readiness for the 2011 DAKAR?
I think its a couple of posts later in that thread - kept it on due to concern about fuel range ...
Old 12-02-2010, 07:07 PM   #162
SafariBerg OP
Oz Safari Addict

Quote:

maybe the way the Berg one attaches is a bit different ? we certainly havent seen any issues re-fitting after having them off the bikes for awhile or swapping them between different bikes
Old 12-03-2010, 04:10 AM   #163
David P.
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg View Post
Looks like the stock radiators ?
is there 2 fans ?

also I can see what appear to be 2 oil coolers ? a 690 style one and a cylinder style behind it ? how much oil does the system now hold ?

is it the stock headlight ?

I can see the bikes are running a 320mm front disc, we ran a 310mm disc off the KTM 690R on Ze Helio's bike and he found it a very worth while upgrade, so the 320mm should do the trick

only the stock rear wheel ? no cush hub ?

stock 22mm offset clamps ?
This is Bodingers bike which uses many stock components, I think Thomas´ bike will differ a bit. It's being built as we speak and will be flown over the pond mid-december.

It's an oil cooler and an extra oil filter underneath the nav bracket which also uses the stock light. Can't tell you how much extra oil I'm afraid.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:26 AM   #164
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,073
Quote:

I think a lot of those cases were where people pulled the tanks off for a fair amount of time and the tanks had a chance to warm up and distort. It could have also been a certain batch of tanks. I've had the tanks off my old adventure for months at a time during the winter and had no realignment issues. But the tanks were resting in such a way as to not be loaded oddly and it was cold and out of the sunlight.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:43 PM   #165
David P.
Gnarly Adventurer

A few pics of the "finished" bike. Wonderfully nimble and purposeful!