Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2010, 09:07 PM   #76
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Oddometer: 307
Lost River: A restored barn houses a Museum, Antiques, and local crafts display and sales.

Potato Grader

That's right the proverbial "Pot Belly Stove"!

This next item in it's original form barely recognized today! Not an original Hoover!

Whaaaa ?

Break Time for an "Artsy" Pic!

Get out the Green and Yellow hats one of the Original "John Deere" farm equipment!

Rolling right along!

Something Old, and something new!

Riff screwed with this post 01-05-2011 at 08:59 PM
Riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:35 PM   #77
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Remember this is a "Day Trip". From Cumberland to Paw Paw to Mathias it is only 88 miles one way. I've only come about 83.4 miles to this point. Here is the rest of the trip to Mathias.

Around the corner from "Lost River" I had stopped to take some pictures, and a local resident pulled up beside me and said "Drop around the turn and take the first left on "Lower Cove Road" in "Lost City" it'll take you up on the mountain side and you will see all over the valley and see more than down here!" I think he had an alternative motive! The view was spectacular as he had said, but I found something else as well.

The good town and views of Lost City WV

Riff screwed with this post 12-03-2010 at 10:11 PM
Old 11-24-2010, 10:10 PM   #78
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Finally I reach Mathias and find:

for it's day and age at their stage of technology it was strong and lasting structures.

The people themselves would become the names of legend.

and the rustic charm make the place heart warming.

As I had said in the beginning the "Weatherman" got it right and the day was good.

And the sign tell the story of season! Deer Hunting! [ Starts this coming Saturday in Maryland - can't wait! ]

The old adage goes something like "the lessons of history that we fail to remember are the ones we are doomed to repeat". May we never forget our history, forget where we came from and who they where that got us to where we are today. It is not a perfect world that we live in today and it will never be one. Historic revisionists can not rewrite truth with out lying, nor can they in their lies obliterate the truth. All that is necessary is for us to forget our past and let it fade into non existence. That would be the greatest tragedy of our day!

Well at 4:30 pm this time of year sun light is fading quickly.

The light is dimming and it is time to get back up the road.

To Cumberland

Riff screwed with this post 11-24-2010 at 10:16 PM
Old 11-25-2010, 03:14 AM   #79
volgunner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Greetings from Southern Appalachia!

Just came across your thread this morning when I was up early to start the Thanksgiving ritual of seemingly endless cooking. I'm struck by the similarities between the "Northern" and "Southern" parts of Appalachia-both stunningly beautiful and loaded with historical interest.

I'm thinking that our traditional way of dividing the country between North and South is artificial and rooted in political disputes that tend to obscure the similarities. Your thread has me thinking I should get up in that direction for a look around.

Oh, and no need to apologize for the "Eastern Mountains": they're as beautiful as those in the West, but in a completely different way.

Keep up the good work, and let's see some more pics.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Russell
volgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:53 PM   #80
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Just came across your thread this morning when I was up early to start the Thanksgiving ritual of seemingly endless cooking. I'm struck by the similarities between the "Northern" and "Southern" parts of Appalachia-both stunningly beautiful and loaded with historical interest.

I'm thinking that our traditional way of dividing the country between North and South is artificial and rooted in political disputes that tend to obscure the similarities. Your thread has me thinking I should get up in that direction for a look around.

Oh, and no need to apologize for the "Eastern Mountains": they're as beautiful as those in the West, but in a completely different way.

Keep up the good work, and let's see some more pics.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Russell

Hey Russell Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well.

Thank you. You are right. I love our mountains. It has been my hope to let the whole world know in my thread how great and beautiful it is be from and live here. We do have it good, all season riding [depending on your geographic location N & S pun intended ], and as you said we have a different beauty from the mountains of the west. The Mountains of the East are no less majestic. You hit a major nail on the head. The political issues that once divided these mountains between North and South no longer exist in reality, except in the imagination of uninformed, or deceived. That was one of the things I was struck with as I read the placard of the "Mathias Homestead" monument is that we are "One Nation under God.... " no longer a divided people Ideologically, or politically. Come North my friend you are more than welcome, and I am so looking forward to coming down your way this summer, and ride the roads of the Carolina's, Tennessee .... ect. Cherhola Skyway, Moonshiners Run, Telico Planes ... Can't wait. There is a section of Northern PA I also want to ride this summer referred to at the Grand Canyon of the East.
Same invite to you I gave KiteSurfer when you come North message me and I will hook you up with some the best riding routes that your bike will stop and thank You !

Hope Today Was A Good One
Gene
Old 11-27-2010, 04:10 AM   #81
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
Hey Riff, when you ride the lower mountains give me a shout. I've ridden most if not all the good roads between Atlanta and Meadows of Dan, va--probably not all but alot of them :)
Old 11-29-2010, 06:01 PM   #82
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Hey Riff, when you ride the lower mountains give me a shout. I've ridden most if not all the good roads between Atlanta and Meadows of Dan, va--probably not all but alot of them :)

If not soon probably in the Spring, AAwwww who am I kidding, Probably in the Spring
Old 12-02-2010, 08:29 AM   #83
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riff View Post
The "Love - Hate" relationship is better explained visually than to attempt to describe it verbally! [Yeah I know ladies men are visual, and women are better! Right?] I love living here in the Appalachia's, but there are times when the weather prevents you from doing some things you enjoy the most. .... Well check this out!

See what I mean? You can't argue with this kind of beauty, but.....

Like I said; I love living here, but there is a price to pay! Oh Yeah I'm feeling it!
No need to let a little snow keep you from riding

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:51 PM   #84
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

[QUOTE=klaviator;14610501]No need to let a little snow keep you from riding

Yeah I don't think I can find the right size knobbly tires for Kira, and then there is the issue with her gearing I don't think would be conducive for this kind of riding . On the other hand this clearly shows I need to increase and enlarge my stable! Right? .
Can't believe this weather. The assembled climatologists are all saying this is January weather and temps a month early. What ever happened to Global Warming? Hey Al Gore "Where's The Heat?".
Old 12-03-2010, 04:44 AM   #85
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,351
[QUOTE=Riff;14614830

Yeah I don't think I can find the right size knobbly tires for Kira, and then there is the issue with her gearing I don't think would be conducive for this kind of riding . On the other hand this clearly shows I need to increase and enlarge my stable! Right? .
[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you are developing a case of MBS.........Multiple Bike Syndrome. The only known cure is to go out and add bikes to your stable

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:50 PM   #86
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Sounds like you are developing a case of MBS.........Multiple Bike Syndrome. The only known cure is to go out and add bikes to your stable

I Love the way people think on this web site! They all are Genius! I know I don't have to tell you about Motosyndrome addiction. It's worse [or gooder] than "CRACK"! The more you enjoy it, the more you have to have! Now If I can just get the "Fox" to see the necessity of it! I'll be swimming in rides!
Old 12-03-2010, 06:30 PM   #87
cleanair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
enjoyed the pic's from a part of my state that i have never visited.
cleanair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:43 PM   #88
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanair View Post
enjoyed the pic's from a part of my state that i have never visited.

You owe it to yourself to visit the "Mountain Side of Maryland"! That's the slogan from the local visitor's bureau, and quite frankly ...Air it's one of the best kept secrets in Maryland. Drop a message when you come this way and I'll give you the inside skinny on this side of the state! Like "Klaviator" shows us with the right machine even snow is possible on two wheels.

Must Increase the Stable!
Old 12-04-2010, 08:26 PM   #89
Mastros2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Thumb

Thanks for sharing the photos. You have a great eye!
Mastros2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:47 PM   #90
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastros2 View Post
Thanks for sharing the photos. You have a great eye!

Thanks Mastros
Still learning, and enjoy combing it with the ride!