User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
ride on joe OP
More Gas, More Beer

Oddometer: 119
Commute to Work? ATGATT

After working from home for almost two years, I will be working in an office starting Monday. I would like to live by ATGATT, but have a few questions:

If you ATGATT:
Do you change at work and keep all your gear at your desk / locker?
Do you have your work cloths under your ridding gear and keep all your ridding gear on you bike?

If you do not ATGATT, Do you slim down and only wear helmet and jacket?

I have TT side cases and Jesse top case, so I think I can just do a change in the parking lot, but a bit nervous about keeping my all of my gear on the bike. It all can be locked but...

The commute will be 32 miles a day and will be nice to keep the miles moving up.

Thanx,

joe

2000 1150 gs
1998 dr350
1993 dr350
2006 CRF50
ride on joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,283
It's nice to wear a generously over-sized Aerostich RoadCrafter 1 piece ($$$) over all your "work" clothes, and then just strip it off like Superman when you get to the office. Chicks love it, men will tremble, etc....Suit up for the trip home. Not so great in the Summer...
Old 12-04-2010, 10:56 AM   #3
frank_t
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I put my clothes, shoes, laptop, etc. in my top- and sidecases and change at work. I don't like to ride with my work clothes under my riding gear.

frank
frank_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:01 AM   #4
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride on joe View Post
After working from home for almost two years, I will be working in an office starting Monday. I would like to live by ATGATT, but have a few questions:

If you ATGATT:
Do you change at work and keep all your gear at your desk / locker?
Do you have your work cloths under your ridding gear and keep all your ridding gear on you bike?
I used a one piece riding suit and wore it over the clothes (but I work in jeans / shirt). And I keep it in the office.

In the summer, I sometimes just wear jeans. This is the summer outfit:

- Jeans with Motocross knee protectors (velcro)
- Riding Jacket
- Helmet
- Gloves
- high hiking boots instead of riding boots (I have dual sport boots that are high and warm)

I generally like the MX stuff as you can convert pretty much everything to have decent protection. Road rash might still be a problem though if you are too adventurous.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
GSDonovan
There and back again

Oddometer: 856
I commute daily on my GSA....I pack my work clothes (biz casual) loosely in a plastic bag to minimize wrinkles and put that into an empty pannier. I leave dress shoes and a belt at work....I change into my work clothes in a nearby empty high wall cube. I then stick my head under the sink in the bathroom to wash out my helmet hair. Sounds like a hassle, but I have it down really well. I have a 30 min ride to work, so its worth it for me. If my ride was 5 or 10 min, I probably wouldn't bother with riding.
GSDonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:17 AM   #6
NachoRoto
Meet you there. OK?

Oddometer: 5,693
I am so glad I wear scrubs at work. Short hair and scrubs make life easy. You can wear anything over them.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:24 AM   #7
ddreger
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I have a 45 mile commute. ATGATT for me. I pack my work closes in a plastic bag in a side case and change at work. It is important to do this as in the summer sweat will ruin your work cloths, and in the winter the crotch-leak in the 1-piece roadcrafter suit will force embarrassing conversations about "accidents."
ddreger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:28 PM   #8
(none)
poser

Oddometer: 2,601
I have about a 20-30 minute commute. I work in a factory, dress is business casual. I just wear my stuff over my clothes, usually leave my steel toe boots at my desk. Throw all my gear in an empty chair, change boots and i am good to go.
LC80
JK Rubi
(none) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:12 PM   #9
nuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
This is what is so great about my Suzuki Burgman 650. It has HUGE storage under the seat. I commute to work in my normal work clothes (casual to business casual) with a leather jacket and textile overpants on, boots, etc. I keep my day shoes in my gym bag, which when full of my gym shoes and usual work out gear and day shoes, fits in the trunk of the Burgman. Get to work, stuff the helmet and gloves under the seat, carry in the gym bag, strip off the over pants and jacket and put on my day shoes.

I haven't quite got it down on the GSA yet, but that stuff will fit in the side boxes. I might get a large tail bag. It is kind of a bummer that there is no built in storage on the GSA.
nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:20 PM   #10
JurgenB
daily rider

Oddometer: 389
ATGATT. There is no excuse for not riding ATGATT.

I take a pair of dress pants with me, and I keep a pair of dress shoes at the office. If I need to wear a suit & tie, that's no problem either. I've been doing it for years.
2004 R1150GS ADV parked in Heidelberg
JurgenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:10 PM   #11
sdpc2
Just another Rally Rat

Oddometer: 1,104
My office is business casual

and my riding gear goes over my clothes, whether two piece or one piece riding suit. except in the summer when i only wear the jacket... mesh.

It's a big joke in my office that i scare away little kids with all of my gear on. But they have gotten used to seeing me come in and taking all of the riding gear like superman and then start working. of course, the Helmet head is another story.

I lower my passenger pegs for those riders that have gone before me
sdpc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:23 PM   #12
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,660
Moved to the Riding forum.. GSpot is about the bike.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:44 PM   #13
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
Ride to work ATGATT

ATGATT - no question
Business casual pants folded up with shoes/belt in the empty Vario box. Wear a casual shirt under my riding gear. I have a fresh white shirt, tie and jacket hanging in a closet at work for any unplanned senior meetings.

If I know I have to do the dreaded jacket/tie thing FOR SURE, I usually don't ride that day. I haven't figured out a good way to take a dress jacket on the bike.

I may suggest Ford Motor Company adopt scrubs: "medical casual" sounds great to me!
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:59 PM   #14
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,913
I have only a 4-5 minute commute 3 days a week, telecommuting from home the other 2.

I got in bad habit of only wearing jacket, gloves, and helmet and didn't bother wearing my armored pants or boots.

After having a fairly low-speed (40 MPH) low-side while riding the twisties back in July and seeing how much damage my pants and elbow armor took, leaving me with only a thumb-sized patch of road rash on my knee I come to the conclusion that it just wasn't worth it to risk riding in jeans or casual work clothes. At the same time it is too short a commute to make hassling with the extra gear worthwhile.

I take the cage to work now. ATGATT for me all the time now, or the bike stays at home. If I had a longer commute I would opt for a one-piece over my work clothes that I could take off when I get to the office and suit back up before heading home, but just too much of a hassle for 5 minutes.
mb90535im is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:11 PM   #15
Tor
Native Viking

Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_t View Post
I put my clothes, shoes, laptop, etc. in my top- and sidecases and change at work. I don't like to ride with my work clothes under my riding gear.

frank
Same here. I keep my work clothes in a bag in top box (I keep my casual work shoes at work,,,less to pack), and ride in wearing a Darien Suit. Then lock the office door, and change to work clothes. Riding gear hung up behind office door. Reverse for the ride home, shedding a layer as necessary. Rain, shine, summer, winter. I use the F8GS most of the time, and use the ST13 only when the temp drops below "no fairing" level.

2005 Honda ST1300 / 2010 BMW F800 Gelände-Straße
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote