Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2010, 02:17 PM   #16
Tor
Native Viking

Oddometer: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdpc2 View Post
the Helmet head is another story.
Solution: Get someone (your wife) to cut your hair using a #2 guard. Problem solved...

2005 Honda ST1300 / 2010 BMW F800 Gelnde-Strae
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:28 PM   #17
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 886
ATGATT, business casual under tpg overpants and kilimanjaro jacket in winter. Pull on the pant leg cuffs to minimize wrinkles up higher.
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:28 PM   #18
JUNAC
Straight Shooter

Oddometer: 656
ATGATT and some Angels saved my life recently. There were two things that I never forgot from my motorcycle safety course, head checks and ATGATT. If it's too hot for ATGATT, then don't ride. I never rode without it. People at work would laugh when I rode in 95 degree heat, that didn't matter. I used to change when I got to work. If I ever ride again, there is no question what I will be wearing. ATGATT!!! Click the link below to see my story.

KTM 950 ADVENTURE MUSCLE BIKE

XR650L WITH THE ARMY BOXES...R.I.P.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=640254

JUNAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:47 PM   #19
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
I've got a 30-mile commute. Work dress is casual, so no problems for me wearing something under my gear, but sometimes when it's hot I just wear MX-style knee/shin guards under my firehose jeans. One trick for me is to keep a spare pair of pants, a belt, and a comfy pair of shoes at work. That saves me forgetting to bring pants if I'm wearing mesh pants in the summer, or forgetting shoes. Also, the pants come in handy if I get soaked for some reason on my ride (sudden thunderstorm).
Old 12-04-2010, 05:14 PM   #20
quackPOT
Grand Master Fu

Oddometer: 112
I currently have a 3 mile commute to work and usually ride my motorcycle. Thankfully the dress code for me is polo shirt and jeans.

During the nice weather months of Phx, I wear my Firstgear jacket/pants over my work clothes. I usually wear my Sidi boots and keep a pair of sneakers in one of my desk drawers.

If the summer heat is real bad, I will usually pack my pants to work and change into them at work.
quackPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:49 PM   #21
Robert_C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,703
Olympia Phantom riding suit over business clothing. For shoes I wear a pair of Joe Rocket boots that work pretty well as business looking shoes, black leather with no really weird stuff on them. I have to wear boots anyways as doing something stupid a few years in the past permanently messed up my ankles; as such, wearing boots is not even arguable as a "reasonable accommodation."

I roll up the coat and put in a plastic bag in the side-case. It comes out looking okay. If it isn't raining I change out of the riding suit in t he parking lot. Otherwise I walk in and change out of it in the break room.
As a nation we still continue to enjoy a literally unprecedented prosperity; and it is probable that only reckless speculation and disregard of legitimate business methods on the part of the business world can materially mar this prosperity. -- Theodore Roosevelt, Sixth Annual Message, December 3, 1906
Robert_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:52 PM   #22
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
I used to ride about 10 minutes of city traffic to work, and I would wear office-acceptible boots (I picked some some presentable hiking boots, they're only slightly bigger than joggers, but have excellent support), good jeans, light/high airflow padded jacket (it's hot where I live), light motocross gloves, full face helmet. I kept my helmet/jacket/gloves under my desk, and wore the rest all day.

I came off once with that gear, it had been raining lightly, no traffic, and I was on auto-pilot braking into the U-turn I did every day to get to work. I grabbed too much front brake, and low-sided it at ~10kph. Walk away from that with a slight rash on the outside of my leg (not even bleeding, and no bruises).

Now I've moved to another town, but still work at the same office a few times a week. It's now ~20 min city riding (I try to get to work before peak hour, and leave work before peak hour), ~20 min twisties (250 corners!), and ~40 min of highway. Now I wear full motocross boots, the same jeans, the same jacket, heavy duty gloves, and the same helmet. I also ride more carefully than I usually would, especially in the twisties (it's sooo tempting to scream through at warp speed) and in the city (traffic can get bad). I'm still able to keep everything under the desk, and I have a pair of shoes at work ready to put on when I arrive.

I've come off twice with that gear, once was in a section of dirt trail I take from time to time on the way home, if I'm bored by the 1+ hour trip. Left me with a hole in my jeans but no injuries (low speed crash, leg pinned under bike and knee hit a rock). The second time I hit some gravel in an intersection and high sided/was thrown over the handlebars... face-planted on the road, but was slow enough not to slide. I had an extremely painful foot for 2 days (could barely stand up, needed crutches) and some minor grazes on my legs above the knees, and a few pulled muscles all over my body.

I'm fairly happy so far, figure my gear has been adequate each time I've come off. I'm extremely cautious around other cars, and our small city "peak hour" isn't too bad, so am counting on never having an accident involving another vehicle while wearing this gear.

I've decided to go and find some kind of light weight knee protection. The knee guards I have now are overkill and too cumbersome. Haven't work out what I'll go for yet.
abhibeckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:12 PM   #23
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurgenB View Post
There is no excuse for not riding ATGATT.

That would mean I would have to get up earlier.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:44 PM   #24
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,623
20 mile year round commute. Dress is casual and worn under my Joe Rocket Ballistic 2-piece, slighty oversized. I have worn it for the last 4 years and it has been great. I treat it w/ waterproof spray, with close attention to the seams. I wear lace up duty boots, unless rain is in the forecast and then I wear waterproof Sidi boots and change into casual shoes at work.

Storing your gear, on your bike will be problem, if it is wet, particularly when you put it on later. When the temp is around 100F, I slim down to a textile jacket, summer gloves and no over pants.

nlp

If you ATGATT:
Do you change at work and keep all your gear at your desk / locker?
Do you have your work cloths under your ridding gear and keep all your ridding gear on you bike?

If you do not ATGATT, Do you slim down and only wear helmet and jacket?

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:44 PM   #25
Long Gone
Objectivist

Oddometer: 242
ATG over work clothes

My mesh pants are large enough to wear over the chinos or jeans I wear. A polo or long sleeve button-down is fine under the mesh jacket in the summer. A winter jacket with a heated liner and a fleece is usually the only change I have to make for the cold. I take the gear off in my cubicle and hang it there. Wolverine boots polish up well or I wear textile hiking boots. It's a 45 minute commute, mostly on two lane country roads, so ATG is the only way to go. BTW, my wife works at the same company, rides with me, and does the same routine. Her only complaint is that she can't always wear her nice long coats for the walk to her office through the shipyard.

One travels more usefully when alone, because he reflects more Thomas Jefferson
Long Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:02 PM   #26
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurgenB View Post
ATGATT. There is no excuse for not riding ATGATT.

I take a pair of dress pants with me, and I keep a pair of dress shoes at the office. If I need to wear a suit & tie, that's no problem either. I've been doing it for years.
My excuse is I can't have a shower at work, because there is no shower. And if I wear ATGATT, I'd arrive drenched in sweat (even in mid winter). So I go with light protection, and ride accordingly, and put up with the resulting injuries.
abhibeckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #27
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
33 miles each way to work on Los Angeles freeways in the dark (AM) this time of year and heavy traffic coming home. Olympia Phantom one piece, BMW Santiago boots, safermoto yellow hit air vest on top of the Olympia. Lane split (carefully).

Slip on dress shoes in tail bag. Leave my gear in the underground parking lot at work, put on the dress shoes, and take the elevator to my floor.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:45 PM   #28
Giuseppe
Medium-Viz

Oddometer: 469
My commute is about 25 miutes between two suburbs. I wear my FD uniform to and from work, so I just put a jacket and overpants on over that: Mesh in the summer and heavier stuff in the winter. My only compromise on ATGATT is the boots. I wear thick leather steel toe lace-up boots at work so I'm comfortable riding in them. I've got a locker at the station, so I can stash my riding gear in there during my shift. When I have to travel to fill in at another station, I store my riding gear in the panniers.

R1200GS ready for work:

Boots, coat, and pants on the seat. Fire helmet, mask, workout clothes, sneakers, and toiletries in the boxes.

I do love my life!
Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:52 PM   #29
Crash-Resistant

Oddometer: 125
ATGATT.

There's no reason not to. Wear a backpack if your stuff doesn't fit anywhere else. Buy a topcase. Don't make excuses!
Old 12-05-2010, 06:43 AM   #30
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer: 1,744
I wear a suit and tie to work. I use an Olympia Phantom, Olympia Stealth or Teiz Lombard as a one-piece suit. The key is buying them a size or two larger to easily go over the work clothes.
2012 Suzuki DL650A as the current bike
Whole bunch of bikes in the past
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote