Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2010, 05:54 AM   #76
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubars View Post
Excellent photos. Question for all you 570 owners. Do you run a map switch on your bikes? Curious to know how much it changes the powerband. Does the lowest setting turn it down to the output of maybe a 400? I'm guessing the highest is full power, correct?
I have map switches on both my 390 and my 570. I never change the mapping on eaither bike. I tested it on my 570. The map swtich doesn't seem to affect the lowend at all. It does change the midrange. The bike bogs more when you roll the throttle on in the midrange. It gives you a second to think about what you just did.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:35 AM   #77
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
I have map switches on both my 390 and my 570. I never change the mapping on eaither bike. I tested it on my 570. The map swtich doesn't seem to affect the lowend at all. It does change the midrange. The bike bogs more when you roll the throttle on in the midrange. It gives you a second to think about what you just did.
I have the switch on my 570 and I honestly can't see much difference when riding around here at 1k to 4k feet elevation. HOWEVER, the first day I was riding in Colorado at about 9-13k feet, I could feel the motor bog down when climbing hills. I moved the switch from the soft setting to the most aggressive, and the bike immediately woke back up. It then felt very similar to how it does here at home. So, it DOES make a difference, but it's hard to notice at lower elevations. Maybe the difference is more obvious on the 390 or 450?
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:13 AM   #78
PABiker
Anywhere but here

Oddometer: 3,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
Maybe the difference is more obvious on the 390 or 450?
I feel there is. When riding my buddy Donnie's 390 or my 450 there is a noticable difference between the 3 different settings.

I know Donnie runs his 390 in the agressive setting all the time. I tend to keep my 450 in the middle position for the tight stuff around home, but ran it in agressive the whole time we were in CO this year.
PABiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:11 AM   #79
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
The map swtich doesn't seem to affect the lowend at all. It does change the midrange.
Probably handy for riding in singletrack? I ask since there's no way I can afford both a 390 AND a 570....
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #80
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Probably handy for riding in singletrack? I ask since there's no way I can afford both a 390 AND a 570....
The perception of the different maps varies per rider. I feal it only effects the bottom end and slightly the mid-range. One of my friends rode my 570 and thought it effected the whole rpm range. I ride from 5k to 12k el. As OhioPT says, it is very big difference at 11K. I leave it on aggressive most of the time. One ride I switched it to the soft mode in some tight, rocky single track as I was getting too tired to keep on top of the snap. I forgot to switch it back until I tried climbing a hill at about 11,500+. Incredible difference at that elevation. One thing for sure is you get better mpg on aggr. You can build your own pretty cheap.

tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:10 PM   #81
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,350
Quote:
Excellent photos. Question for all you 570 owners. Do you run a map switch on your bikes? Curious to know how much it changes the powerband. Does the lowest setting turn it down to the output of maybe a 400? I'm guessing the highest is full power, correct?
I run the map switch and use 'soft' on the trails and 'aggressive' on the pavement. The difference in power level is noticeable but not huge, it is rather how fast and immediate the power is delivered. For example, I once tried 'aggressive' on the trail and went to lift the front wheel over a tree across the trail - instead of the 2 foot wheelie I expected I got a four foot wheelie. You can still get the power you want in 'soft' mode, it just isn't as 'immediate'. Peak power is a little less - but there is so much power with the 570 I don't need all of the power it can deliver off-road. On the pavement is a different matter - all the traction you need and no obstacles, so I put it on 'aggressive'. Also, you get better fuel mileage on 'aggressive'.

What the map switch does is mostly change the timing curve, so it is 'retarded' on 'soft'. This may also help you when you are someplace where you have poor gas.

As for where the switch affects the power, I think it is mostly in the mid to upper ranges, but like I said it also makes the power more immediate down low - kind of like a different throttle cam. The way to know for sure would be to do a dyno run with each switch setting and compare them - if you don't measure you don't know, and a seat of the pants dyno can fool you.

If you want a lot more power, the new 70 deg. bikes respond well to freeing up the intake and exhaust. One of the things you can do towards that end is to cut a hole in the seat above the intake:

That was an experiment I did on a stock seat (I have a Guts tall seat) I bought to do the experiment. The hole made a significant difference in both power and intake noise. If you think the stock intake is loud, try the hole in the seat - you will need ear plugs. SM riders do this mod (with more sophistication). My intention is to have a local seat builder take this seat, put some air filter foam in the hole, cover the hole with porous material (both under and over) and recover the seat to look nice and build it to be wider like some SM seats. That seat is what would use on the street when running SM wheels or in the snow with the snowbike kit (snowbikes need a lot more power).

Others drill around the edges of where the seat meets the tank shrouds, but it seems to me that the seat mode would make a much bigger difference and let less crap into the airbox. Add a more free flowing exhaust and you get yet more power. Personally, I intend to keep the stock exhaust, I like how quiet it is.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:15 PM   #82
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by PABiker View Post
Still on the fence about the tank. Might just toss an MSR bottle or 2 in the Wolfman saddlebags like BoomBoom did. Either way I'll have enough for both of us.
http://www.70degreeracing.com/services.html
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:15 PM   #83
PABiker
Anywhere but here

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
Thanks, I know all about the 70 Degree guys. I have their map switch on my bike and helped my buddy Al install one of their tanks on his FE450.

I haven't decided which tank option is best for me at this point, if any at all.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:05 PM   #84
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by PABiker View Post
There is some good information about adjusting the valves here:

http://www.husaberg.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11632
Thanks
Old 12-05-2010, 03:09 PM   #85
PABiker
Anywhere but here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possu View Post
Thanks

Old 12-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #86
PABiker
Anywhere but here

Quote:
Originally Posted by toro618 View Post
As per what a dealer in NJ said last week, the MSO says Offroad Only.
PM sent.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:33 AM   #87
KayaKTM OP
Day trippin'

Oddometer: 405
titled in NC!

my NC MSO did NOT say "Off-road only" on it.

i just did the title work on my FE390 this week here in NC. the only hitch i had was that the dealer (Genuine Dirt Racer Prod.) forgot to have the MSO notorized. i had to mail it back for the notary sig./stamp. after i got the notorized MSO back the Tag Office didn't bat an eye.

now that it's titled i just need to get it to an inspection station (after i mount the horn) and i'm good to go! they wouldn't do the Tag until it is inspected, but that won't be an issue.

Religions change; beer and wine remain. Harvey Allen
KayaKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #88
Ink
Slave to the Needle

Oddometer: 125
Finally picked up a 2010 FE570, and yep, thats a temp tag!

Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #89
TLtrials
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayaKTM View Post
my NC MSO did NOT say "Off-road only" on it.

i just did the title work on my FE390 this week here in NC. the only hitch i had was that the dealer (Genuine Dirt Racer Prod.) forgot to have the MSO notorized. i had to mail it back for the notary sig./stamp. after i got the notorized MSO back the Tag Office didn't bat an eye.
Glad to hear that Ben and Bart got you squared away!
TLtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:04 AM   #90
PABiker
Anywhere but here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink View Post
Finally picked up a 2010 FE570, and yep, thats a temp tag!

Congrats.