Oddometer: 14
don't be afraid

If you ever come to Costa Rica, you will see what a peacefull country we are
Old 11-27-2010, 12:19 PM   #153
PlasticSun
Long Live The Supertanker

Oddometer: 331
We're in Mexico and we want to leave

Well not really, but we're down near San Christobal de las Casas right now but next month my grandmother turns 90. Being a good grandchild and tempted by the allure of christmas presents we're thinking about catching a flight from Mexico city to LAX spend a couple of weeks there and then head back.

Here's the hitch, are we going to run into any trouble because our bike is here in the country when we return back to the states? We'd only be gone for a couple of weeks and we'd still be well inside both our toursit visa (still 2.5 months left) and our vehicle permit/insurance (the same amount of time left).

Also do we have to re-pay to get a tourist visa again or can we exit and reenter with our current one? I know it's not expensive but it'd be nice to avoid the fee since we haven't used up our current visa yet.
PlasticSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:33 PM   #154
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticSun View Post

Well not really, but we're down near San Christobal de las Casas right now but next month my grandmother turns 90. Being a good grandchild and tempted by the allure of christmas presents we're thinking about catching a flight from Mexico city to LAX spend a couple of weeks there and then head back.

Here's the hitch, are we going to run into any trouble because our bike is here in the country when we return back to the states? We'd only be gone for a couple of weeks and we'd still be well inside both our toursit visa (still 2.5 months left) and our vehicle permit/insurance (the same amount of time left).

Also do we have to re-pay to get a tourist visa again or can we exit and reenter with our current one? I know it's not expensive but it'd be nice to avoid the fee since we haven't used up our current visa yet.

i could be totaly wrong,
but i think only a fm3 allows multiple exit & reentry.
a fmt requires turning in/canceling and getting a new one when back for the time left on your 180 days.
if you went into say guat. and back on land you could fake it, but the flying is much more controlled.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:31 AM   #155
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticSun View Post

You don't have to surrender the tourist "green card" nor your vehicle permits. I kept mine for 6 months some time ago as I drove back and forth across the border repeatedly.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:42 PM   #156
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,206
^ I normally would agree with all that except there might be more fussyness with the FMT and an airport exit. With a land exit, you can literally cross the bridge with just a toll and face U.S. customs, with your TVIP and tourist card tucked away. At a Mexican airport for international travel, it may be the process to examine, and possibly stamp, the passport as you turn in your tourist card. Wouldn't be surprised if surrending the tourist card is part of the deal exiting Mexico via airplane. Could be wrong...
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:12 PM   #157
RexBuck
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
^ I normally would agree with all that except there might be more fussyness with the FMT and an airport exit. With a land exit, you can literally cross the bridge with just a toll and face U.S. customs, with your TVIP and tourist card tucked away. At a Mexican airport for international travel, it may be the process to examine, and possibly stamp, the passport as you turn in your tourist card. Wouldn't be surprised if surrending the tourist card is part of the deal exiting Mexico via airplane. Could be wrong...
Flown out of Mexico many times and have had to always surrender the tourist card as they check you in.
RexBuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:20 PM   #158
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexBuck View Post
Flown out of Mexico many times and have had to always surrender the tourist card as they check you in.
That's what I thought. A Negra Modelo for Rex, please.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #159
RexBuck
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
That's what I thought. A Negra Modelo for Rex, please.
Good call . . . my favorite.
RexBuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:06 PM   #160
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Good call . . . my favorite.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:22 PM   #161
GSABest
El Adventurero

Oddometer: 320
You should be able to fly out of Mexico no problem, while leaving the bike in San Cristobal de las casas.

I did the very same in Dec 2008 on my tourist visa. Left my bike in Metepec and flew back to Canada. Then flew back 4 months later and continued my trip in Mexico.

Just make sure you take the bike out of Mexico by the original 6 month permit date...

Marc

Past Rides: 1990 VFR 750 (2007 - sold to my son), 2000 RC51 (2000 - 2003), 1990 VFR 750 (1996 - 1999), 1989 Yamaha TDR250 (1998 - 1999), 1989 NT650 Hawk GT x 2 (1998 - 1999), 1982 Honda Interstate (1982 - 1983), 1981 Honda CB900F (1981 - 1982), 1980 Honda CB900 Custom (1980 - 1981), 1978 Kawasaki KZ650 C2 Custom (1978), 1974 Kawasaki 400 Triple, 1976 Honda XL 250
GSABest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:34 PM   #162
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
If you have a Mexican visa for business purposes then you are required to surrender it every time that you leave, although as a practical matter they probably don't have any way to check.

A tourist green card doesn't seem to have that requirement. As Trice said, no one asks when you exit via vehicle and since I live on the border I have kept mine and traveled back and forth in the past.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #163
Phlyn' Phil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Not sure if this has been brought up or how widespread it is, but I went to my local Mexican Consulate in Denver today to get my TVIP, well since 1/3/11 they are no longer issueing TVIP's at my consulate, only at the border the guy tells me. Im not sure, you may be able to get it online, or atleast apply-Im not sure, Just wanted to let you all know!
Phil
"One should as a rule respect public opinion in so far as is necessary to avoid starvation and to keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyranny, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Phlyn' Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:53 AM   #164
PlasticSun
Long Live The Supertanker

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Yep had to surrender the tourist card, but the cost to leave was covered in my plane ticket interestingly enough. Same with the re-entry. Sabrina needed to go to the bank and pay the tourist visa cost before we left Mexico but I didn't. But the whole procedure was very easy. Thanks to everyone for the information.
PlasticSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:31 AM   #165
Phlyn' Phil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Also, seems they are catching on to spoting my laminated copies of my drivers license. On the last couple trips I have had several cops/military and bank workers ask me for a real ID and making sure I know they know its a copy. (they still work for buying beer in the states though!) Next time down Ill carry some AAA International DL's for the fake wallet, handing to iffy officials etc. Just a heads up...
Phil
"One should as a rule respect public opinion in so far as is necessary to avoid starvation and to keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyranny, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Phlyn' Phil is offline   Reply With Quote