Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2010, 11:04 AM   #316
RFlagg42
One hoopy frood....

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrophobe
Oh, and do you have a ride report for that Labrador trip?
Nice to meet you as well--it was a great weekend, even if I did fall over in the "slowest rider" competition...

Didn't do a formal ride report, but posted detailed updates in the SMIB thread. Link is in my signature block and the updates are scattered between pages 161-169.

Eric

2015 LD Rally Season: Iron Butt Rally (29 Jun - 10 Jul)

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. - Unknown
"As a dog returns to its vomit, so a fool repeats his folly." - Proverbs 26:11
RFlagg42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:34 PM   #317
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhicks
I have been using the DS3 for a few weeks and am really enjoying the screen. I was pleased to see that the Touratech logo in front was not as white as I thought. In some pictures it really stands out but in reality it's more of a grey and less in-your-face as I thought it might be. I'm 6'2 34 inseam and using the stock high saddle. Every setting I have tried has been an improvement over the stock screen. I have finally settled on the high/back setting for highway. There is considerable more noise but the wind is a lot more pleasant and doesn't make me feel as if I have to fight to keep my head straight with the Hornet DS helmet. Since I wear plugs for highway speeds or long trips the extra noise isn't going to be an issue. I do want to mention the excellent packaging job they did. Very well done. I've seen some vendors ship with lazy packaging and I was worried about the D3 getting damaged during shipping. Not here… plenty of peanuts and bubble wrap. I was very happy with the shipping and packaging. Here is my take on the rest…

What I like:

Damn nice looking screen. I haven't seen anything for the 800 that matches it in the looks department

Functional - for me the screen works and works very well

Adjustable - I love the high/low and the back/forward capability. Just change the screen settings as you need. Nice!

Removable top windscreen if you don't need it.

What I don't like:

Price!

Instructions suck. Trying to follow the english instructions was a nightmare for me. Even the PDF download with color pictures really didn't help that much. For me, putting the instructions with small black and white pictures aside and just looking at what I had to work with the install was a breeze. Some of you might understand what I am talking about. With printed documentation I can understand but being a visual person I would expect better from a free download in PDF format. Larger pictures please.

Missing part - missing one plastic washer

Mis-sized parts - four lock nuts were a size larger than the screws

For those of you who have not seen the screen there light that is reflected from the headlight into the lower section of the fairing. That is the reason they sell the "cockpit shield" as an add-on and mention it in the installation instructions. It doesn't bother me but for some of you it might. No way the cockpit shield is worth another $80 on top of the $800 the D3 cost.

Overall I am happy with the product. Is it worth what they charge? Hell No. Take three bills off and I would be a lot happier. I feel for the price they charge it should also come with the cockpit shield included.

In the case of the D3, this was the only screen that I liked enough (the BMW touring was 2nd, Wunderlich Vario 3rd) to purchase.

Cheers,
Robert
I just wonder what on earth they were thinking putting the tip of the fairing in front of the headlight.....Almost like the went.....uuuuuups.....Nahhhhh.....they`l still buy it. Rookie mistake..... From a design standpoint.....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:34 AM   #318
SmileyO
Sorta n00b

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
I wan`t to snag a few of you people who thinks this is too expensive...( including myself..) I am gathering materials for a Carbon fiber version. Should cost around $100-150 in materials. When I start I`l post it as a how to in the 8gs forum....... Within the next week or so.......

Erling
I just sent you a PM. I agree, the $800 D3 better come with someone who not only comes to your house to install the thing, but should include a house cleaning and someone to do my lawn work for the year. Mind you the wife just laughed when I even mentioned I was thinking about buying it. And I am not talking the laugh of humor, more like "I dare ya".

I thought a slick and must less costly idea would be make a new fairing, use the stock F800gs windscreen on top with some adjustable brackets (maybe Madstad robobrackets).
SmileyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:48 AM   #319
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyO View Post
I just sent you a PM. I agree, the $800 D3 better come with someone who not only comes to your house to install the thing, but should include a house cleaning and someone to do my lawn work for the year. Mind you the wife just laughed when I even mentioned I was thinking about buying it. And I am not talking the laugh of humor, more like "I dare ya".

I thought a slick and must less costly idea would be make a new fairing, use the stock F800gs windscreen on top with some adjustable brackets (maybe Madstad robobrackets).
I did finish mine....... One of the things I knew I had to do when buying the 8gs.....was to try to make most of the acc`s myself...... I just simply think it`s silly that the aftermarket manufactures think they should charge more......just because it`s for a BMW. Unfortunately they do....and people are buying...... Ohhhh...well... I thought it would be a fun project...... Here it is.....
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615213

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:49 PM   #320
cemcon
Steady Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Thumb Desierto 3

Worked very well for me. Also made great mounting location for GPS. Very simple. No vibration. Road from SF Ca. to Deadhorse AK. in May 2010. Nice air bubble over helmet and out to shouders.

Expensive but worth it!!!
cemcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:17 AM   #321
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,243
Whats that strap on your leg for?
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #322
AKTroy OP
BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyanarchisto View Post
Whats that strap on your leg for?
Im thinking controller for heated gear.
AKTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #323
DakarBlues
One-everythinged man

Oddometer: 1,280
Tourmaster suicide-bomber heated jacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTroy View Post
Tourmaster heated jacket, makes you look like a gunslinger.
Some other times it makes you look like a suicide bomber, one day i went to see my lawyer, he almost jumped out the window (maybe he doesn't have a very clear conscience)

Pedibus Cum Jambus 1200 S
IBA # 38875
DakarBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:24 PM   #324
DakarBlues
One-everythinged man

Oddometer: 1,280
Tourmaster suicide-bomber heated jacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemcon View Post

Originally Posted by AKTroy

Some other times it makes you look like a suicide bomber, one day i went to see my lawyer, when he saw the wires sticking out, he almost jumped out the window (maybe he doesn't have a very clear conscience)

Pedibus Cum Jambus 1200 S
IBA # 38875
DakarBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:37 PM   #325
Lord-Humongous
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
hog holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarBlues View Post
Some other times it makes you look like a suicide bomber, one day i went to see my lawyer, when he saw the wires sticking out, he almost jumped out the window (maybe he doesn't have a very clear conscience)
Old 12-10-2010, 06:50 PM   #326
cemcon
Steady Adventurer

Balance

I thought it was for corrective balance to keep from falling over again.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:57 PM   #327
cemcon
Steady Adventurer

Desierto 3

OK lets get back to how great or not great the Fairing is.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:41 PM   #328
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
I thought it was for corrective balance to keep from falling over again.
5 posts and this was the best you could do?
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:57 AM   #329
Sohere
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Worked very well for me. Also made great mounting location for GPS. Very simple. No vibration. Road from SF Ca. to Deadhorse AK. in May 2010. Nice air bubble over helmet and out to shouders.

I know, off topic, but what fog lights are those?
Sohere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:56 AM   #330
cemcon
Steady Adventurer

The Real Story

OK, Thats Lord-Humoungus in the picture. He was riding the 1200GS, we are about 100 miles north of Atigun Pass. The strap is heated vest control, and I'm the one taking the picture. Heated Vest very nice in 36 degree riding. Made it to deadhorse that night about 10:30 pm.
The lights on the 800 are PIAA. Removed the white paint off the letters.