Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2010, 05:22 AM   #16
fosters2
It is what it is

Oddometer: 201
Ran out of gas with my brand new 2010 GSA on the first tank. Wanted to see when the low fuel warning would actually come on. Well, it did as I was rolling to a stop with a dead engine, so technically it was correct.

Had the strip replaced and no issues since (fingers crossed). I use tripmeter number II as my "real" fuel gauge.
IBA#42277

SOLD - K1600GTL, S1000RR, R1200GSA, K1300GT, R1100, K75
http://www.scfoster.com
fosters2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:37 AM   #17
DrWez
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 96
I just upgraded to a 2010 GSA and seem to be having the same problem. Just have ~1500 miles on the bike so far. Fuel warning light seems to go off way early after ~5.7 gal consumed @ 200-220 miles. What is the expected mileage per tank? Just so I have a benchmark.
IBA 56882
DrWez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:33 PM   #18
BMW Kurt
Bluesman

Oddometer: 10,534
Wow, you guys actually got a dealer to replace your fuel strips? When I complain about mine all I get is "They're all like that'.
My Travel Blog
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:45 PM   #19
Spoke
semi-feral teen

Oddometer: 780
strip

On my second one on '09 GS with 25,000 miles. It is a PTA but at least Max BMW replaces no questions asked.

It entered my blood in 1970 on a Honda QA50
Spoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:36 AM   #20
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
There has been an ongoing class action lawsuit against Ducati for their plastic fuel tank spreading http://http://www.topclassactions.co...k-class-action

I heard it had been settled. Of course this was a safety issue, and the fuel strip is not.. so that may be why it had good traction.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:01 AM   #21
Scratch33
Fugawi?

Oddometer: 2,296
Just picked up a used '07 GS last weekend - I specifically asked the seller if he'd experienced any problems with the fuel strip and he said no.

On my inaugural 38 mile ride in to work this a.m., though, the fuel gauge mysteriously went from reading full to reading one bar above empty. I stopped to gas up and the tank took all of 3.2 gallons.
Scratch33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:02 PM   #22
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,592
Maybe new info. maybe not but FWIW, I asked the service guy about the fuel strip and new rumored change to a fuel float. He said BMW is supposed to be coming out with a fuel strip to fix the problem which he supported is with the ethonal in our fuel. Likely won't last long if they increase the %ages. Said if it sits, the strip above whatever fuel level is oxidizes at that point and obviously things get messed up.
As far as the float, he said it will only be on bikes that do not have the OBC (on board computer). All others with the computer will still have the strip.

Not trying to argue for or against any points/opinions brought up, just advising of what I don't recall reading about.
SCflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:22 AM   #23
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Just picked up a used '07 GS last weekend - I specifically asked the seller if he'd experienced any problems with the fuel strip and he said no.

On my inaugural 38 mile ride in to work this a.m., though, the fuel gauge mysteriously went from reading full to reading one bar above empty. I stopped to gas up and the tank took all of 3.2 gallons.
The top half of the indicator is a single big bar. I also have a freshly bought 07, I find that the gauge shows full for about 120 miles after a fill-up, than it shows 1/2. Another bar goes out almost immediately, and the rest (2?) last another 50 or so miles until the countdown.
So you gauge may be working as designed.
genka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:07 PM   #24
Nitzo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,888
my 07 had three replaced, now my 09 is doing the same thing, im not messing with it this time...........the trip meter is your friend.
Nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:27 PM   #25
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,269
I wonder....

I know that lots of folks blame the gas. That doesn't quite feel right to me given the gas we use in California and the lack of systematic failures among California BMW riders. At least not if the cause is specifically ethanol in the gas.

Since several folks are on their second or third sensor I wonder if it is the bike and not the gas. Something like, I don't know, an under voltage or over voltage that is within the specified range but not liked by the sensor.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:53 PM   #26
deeve
DumbA$$

Oddometer: 1,131
I know this has been mentioned before, but my dealer and I were BSing with a BMW NA rep who was visiting. I mentioned the fuel strip thing and he told me what I had read here, that is was supposed to be a US only problem and related to the fuel. It just doesn't make sense. BMW is not selling some fuel cleaner process and over the counter additive from Chevron that is *supposed* to clear things up.

Just sounds hokey to me too...The silly strip is just too fragile or something. We have some motors in our fleet that have had two or three. Others that are fine (for now.)
Old 12-09-2010, 10:31 PM   #27
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeve View Post
... BSing with a BMW NA rep who was visiting. I mentioned the fuel strip thing and he told me what I had read here, that is was supposed to be a US only problem and related to the fuel.
Bike owners in Australia, for one, have reported the same issue so I don't know how much I believe that BMW NA rep.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:05 AM   #28
deeve
DumbA$$

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
Bike owners in Australia, for one, have reported the same issue so I don't know how much I believe that BMW NA rep.
The rep actually was smartly silent and knowingly nodded his head a lot....the shop owner said it was a NA issue. I didn't push the fuel strip issue much, I was mostly talking to him about brake fade/release issues and trying to convince BMWNA to make a GSA-P
Old 12-10-2010, 07:51 PM   #29
redredred
n00b Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
43k on my '08 and no problem yet..
43K on my '08 and my fuel strip just went out. you might have just jinxed yourself there buddy. btw, the 2010s went back to fuel-float because of all the problems we have been having. one dealer reported that one RT-P went through 3 fuel strips IN ONE DAY.
redredred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:56 AM   #30
GSQuester OP
not-quite-a-n00b

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by redredred View Post
... btw, the 2010s went back to fuel-float because of all the problems we have been having.

Huh? Which 2010's have a fuel float? I started this thread because my 2010 GSA has a bad fuel strip...

Anyway, coming full circle on my dilemma, the dealer ended up recalibrating it even though they would have preferred just replacing it since those are the standing orders from BMW on warranty work - recalibrate first, and if it still is faulty, then replace.

I didn't end up riding much after the recalibration was done, with the onset of snow in these parts, so too soon to tell how long the recalibration will 'hold'. Guess I'll see in the spring...