Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2010, 04:09 AM   #1
iSAW OP
Whats this lever do?

Oddometer: 156
2 weeks, 2 buddies and 2000km In the PHILIPPINES!

Earlier this year my friend Darcy started pestering me about a holiday.

We had met in Thailand in 2008 and pretty much hit it off after a day of riding scooters on Koh Phangang before a full moon party. We decided, after watching each other travel overseas to different countries at different times, that we should meet up and have a holiday, the question was where? The only place left in SE Asia was the Philippines. So we started planning, the decision to ride around the north of Luzon was made. Pretty much for 2-3 weeks we'd ride and see where the wind took us.

We met in Angeles, and a night out was on the cards before Darcy arrived, so it was off to the meat market to party for the night.

We grabbed our Bikes from a little internet cafe place across the road from Nice-Bike (they gave us a better deal of 500p/day) and then took off!

We planned to ride north up to Baguio city. A few days before I left a Philippino local here on the forums named Hercules messaged me about my trip, and started sharing what ended up being the best advise for our whole trip. The highway led us up Kennon road, along with some spectacular scenery.

We stayed the night in the Red Lion Inn, a local expat place thats owned by a keen biker, Tony
We partied with the locals for the night at the bar,

and got a hot tip that there was a surf festival on in La Union. So we changed plans. Surf festival it was. How ever we had to get down the mountain, and out run the storm first...

We ended up with a bunglao on the beach each for 2000p ea a night, we felt like living the high life after the night before.

That night we headed into poropoint as advised by our mysterious guide back in Manila, and yet again the advice was good

on our 3rd day we made it to the surf festival up the road, a whole 15km. It appeared there was a party going to happen, and we are not ones to miss a party!!!.
The carried on for 3 days, with some highlights inbetween.

After La Union we headed for Veigan, (but were slowed down by my fan clubs...). lonely planet said it was worth alook, and our thriller from Manila agreed!

We partied pretty hard over haloween,

But the next day it was time to head to Pugidpud on the north west coast (Highlights along the way here). At this point we started riding into monsoon season. So far it had just been afternoon showers, which while wet, were not that bad.
But we made it to the beach, and just picked a place to stay the night

Again drinking and hilarity ensued.

We took one of the chefs out for a day trip,
a ship wreck

A light House,

the Bangui power windmills

and made the rocky ride up to a water fall.

The plan form here was to head to Tuguegarao City, and the onto Sagada to meet our Philippino Host!

iSAW screwed with this post 12-11-2010 at 04:14 AM
iSAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:04 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,242
Living la vida loca!

Old 12-11-2010, 08:19 AM   #3
High Side
Squidventurer

Oddometer: 179
Sweeeeeeet !!!!

Now this is my kind of ride report !!!!
All good dudes, all good !!!

Ride Report - SQUIDVENTURE Costa Rica

Ride Report - SQUIDVENTURE Climbs Mt. Washington
High Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:21 PM   #4
OGFP
Vicksburrican

Oddometer: 7
Mabuhay Pilipinas!

OGFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:26 PM   #5
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,955
Wow, I never would have made it out of Angeles. I'm impressed. I've rented from Nice Bikes before. Never knew that a place across the street rented bikes as well, maybe its new.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:01 AM   #6
Turborob
Minimalist.

Oddometer: 577
Looks good!

Can I confirm that the XR250s are only about 11 Aud per day to hire????

All RRs
Turborob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:17 AM   #7
Jrmobb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Great write up so far, Im game
Old 12-12-2010, 05:31 PM   #8
iSAW OP
Whats this lever do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turborob View Post
Looks good!

Can I confirm that the XR250s are only about 11 Aud per day to hire????
They are xr200's, and yes about $11AUD a day :) They top out at 100km/h (107 if you have a tailwind, and are going down hill).
Old 12-12-2010, 05:32 PM   #9
school
school

Oddometer: 14
picture?

where the picture?
school is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:51 PM   #10
iSAW OP
Whats this lever do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by school View Post
where the picture?
Picture of what!?

And I'll be making the next installment soon, just sorting out pics, and getting somewhat of a map all figured out. There are heaps of pics that are in links, so click away!

My Philippine Adventure!
Old 12-12-2010, 09:09 PM   #11
DocAxeYarYar
RideDualSport.com

Oddometer: 747
2 weeks 2 buddies and 2000KM in the Phillipines

Looking like an awesome trip and report! Ive been to Thailand a couple of times, I think my first ever dual sport trip was in the 1980's when I rented a bike and took off in to the mountains of North Thailand!

Phillipines is shaping up great, thanks for taking us along! Dont bring anything back with you

Old 12-13-2010, 03:06 AM   #12
vagueout
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
I first went to the philippines in 1977 as a 21 yr old, and did another five trips the last being in 84. Being young and impressionable i was very much impressed, and keep meaning to go back, though some philippinos i know tell me to expect big changes from back then, should go i know.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:27 AM   #13
Northstar Beemer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Thumb I'm subscribed -

Great sights!
Northstar Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:43 AM   #14
thomas.tc.young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 842
awesome

this is pretty sick, thanks and keep posting!!
thomas.tc.young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:40 AM   #15
iSAW OP
Whats this lever do?

Ok, time for some more pics!

We headed out of pudidpud in the monsoonal rains, with the intentions to get to Tuggearau city. The rain caused some Major damage , and a locked starter motor slowed us down, but the flooding was the big worry.

After a 1hr massage, facial, pedicure and manicure (to the total sum of ~$15 AUD) we again headed out to party!

We ended up getting pretty loose that night , and walked home in the rain. with no idea where we were going. By pure skill (Hey, i was the navigator for the trip) we walked directly to our hotel, after getting a trike to buck knows where! Next day we heading off along to highway to Bontoc, and were planning to get to sagada that night.
The rain from the past few days was showing, flooded roads and at one point 500m of 1.5ft deep rushing water tried to take us off the road, but we kept going

By, like all good plans. Disaster strikes

This was just a mud slide, we waited till it cleared, and then around the corner....

It became evident at this point we were making it through today, so we turned around and decided to stay the night at Tabuk. Cant say much for the town, was poorly lit and we were advised not to go out. after walking 100m after dark we felt the eeryness of it all, and stayed at the bar for the night

Next day we tried again.. Tried being the keyword

Progress was being made, but not on our time frame! We had people to meet in sagada in a day!
After a quick call to our Mr "Knows everyboby" Hercules he advised a little road (read dirt track) was open from tabuk to bontoc. It passed through paracillis, natonin and barling. so of couse off we went!!

The eagle temple at ~2000m was quite the view, but after 150km+ of dirt we had had enough for the day. I think our average speed here was ~30km/hr, maybe less. It was on this day both darcy and myself had a off, he lost it on the good road after some mud was carried along into a corner, I slipped but managed to keep it upright. However I took the wrong line into a bridge crossing, and ended up facing the other way.

I tell ya after 5 days of rain that wood was slippery.

We made it to Bontoc after dark and really didn't want to scale the mountain in the dark, so we stayed the night. Next day we met up with Hercules, and some of his friends from manila

The master mechanic managed to swap darcys chain (that was now falling off every few Km), and even provided us with BUKO PIE!!

Of course we drank all the san mig light in town that night (even with a 9pm curfew!) and the next day headed south toward the Highest point in the Filo Highway system

A Quick stop at Mt Data for a photo shoot:

and refreshments we were on our way to the highest point!

We rode all the way to Baguio, stopped for a early dinner and then continued on back to angeles. The manila crew headed back further south
At the start of the day, I noticed that my front tire was a little down. I noticed when I nearly crashed on a hairpin, so after visiting about 10 Valcunising shops, and just as many servos I realized I wasn't going to make the last 200km unless I got it fixed. It took me about 150 to admit there was a problem, and as I later found out, not one, but 2 punchers.

If I knew it only cost 40p ($1AUD) to fix i would of had it sorted about 200km back!

Ok, last installment will be in a few days. We pretty much just partied with dantheman on boracay for a week, so check back for some beach action!

My Philippine Adventure!