User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2010, 11:07 AM   #31
Long Gone
Objectivist

Oddometer: 242
Bluhduh '09 gsa @11,000

My nine month old GSA has just had it's first one replaced. At least it had better be replaced. I haven't picked it up from the dealer yet. The dealer said to write my congressman about the fuel formulation as that's what's causing the problem. I doubt that will change much until we kill the ethanol subsidy.

“One travels more usefully when alone, because he reflects more” Thomas Jefferson
Long Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #32
Mr Bowler Hat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
3 month old GSA broken down twice now running out of fuel....strip replaced under warranty. Strangely enough the service staff couldnt look me in the eye when I asked if this was a common problem

I no longer have any faith in the readouts and utilise the sat nav....

48 states in 28 days http://blog-adventure-usa.blogspot.com/
Mr Bowler Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:57 PM   #33
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
Per the service guy I spoke to last week...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSQuester View Post

Huh? Which 2010's have a fuel float? The only ones to have the float are the ones without an on board computer. All others with the computer (as pretty much all come this way unless ordered) still have a fuel strip. I started this thread because my 2010 GSA has a bad fuel strip...

Anyway, coming full circle on my dilemma, the dealer ended up recalibrating it even though they would have preferred just replacing it since those are the standing orders from BMW on warranty work - recalibrate first, and if it still is faulty, then replace.

I didn't end up riding much after the recalibration was done, with the onset of snow in these parts, so too soon to tell how long the recalibration will 'hold'. Guess I'll see in the spring...
SCflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:04 AM   #34
redredred
n00b Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCflyer View Post
Per the service guy I spoke to last week...
my bad, i was just repeating what i heard at the dealer. i didn't realize that only some, not all, of '010s were modified.
redredred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #35
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
redredred,
Hope I didn't seem like I was knocking your reply. I was doing the same thing (repeating what I heard at the dealer). Just advising of something I hadn't heard before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redredred View Post
my bad, i was just repeating what i heard at the dealer. i didn't realize that only some, not all, of '010s were modified.
SCflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #36
GSQuester OP
not-quite-a-n00b

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCflyer View Post
redredred,
Hope I didn't seem like I was knocking your reply.
Ditto. More just wanted some clarification, and am glad for the follow up replies so I understand what the deal is. I bought my 2010 with the on board computer, but obviously got more than I bargained for since that meant getting a fuel strip instead of a float.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:24 AM   #37
onesaintsfan
BigJohnHart

Oddometer: 1,209
Thumbs down Well, Ok Two Thoughts

As in a previous post, I will be taking mine in next month to have a third fuel strip put in ( Original +2) on my GSA-ADV ( 18.8K miles).

1- If BMW keeps on having to install fuel strips in bikes, paying both parts and labor, you would think they are working on a different part to replace these or another system of measuring how much fuel is in the tank. They have got to be loosing money on these repairs and they will either one day have to just tell us to get lost, or come up with an improved strip

2-I would like a concrete answer as to what can be done to either disable the fuel sensor and turn off that damn golden triangle and flashing fuel warning or if an older float system can be used and just forget about looking at the fuel level indicator. ( Mine has the OBC so I may just be out of luck.)

BTW........This fuel strip has lasted about 8K miles and all that talk about using Chevron with Techtron, Non-Ethanol fuels, etc. is BS. I used techtron fuels almost exclusively on the last strip and even treated every 3-4 tanks with techtron additive and it still failed. And you know what? This bike is supposed to be an ADVENTURE BIKE ! I mean come on, if you ride this thing the way it is designed to be ridden you are not always going to be where you can get high-grade fuels.

Other than this issue, I love my GS and have had no other problems. Love the bike more every time I ride it. I just will not accept that one day I will have to put black tape over the golden triange and the top of the fuel level indicator on the expensive a motorcycle that is supposed to be a premium marqee ! ! ! !

And Finally ( maybe slightly off topic but ) I am sweating that new K1600GTL for me and the wife..........But if its got the same damn fuel strip........maybe not

2009 Triumph Speed Triple "the mistress"
2008 BMW R1200GSA-" the wife"
2005 Chaparral 210ssi " Native Sun II "

" Damn a motorcycle, if somone would buy this thing I would take the bus home "

onesaintsfan screwed with this post 12-19-2010 at 12:39 AM
onesaintsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #38
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Bump

My wife's '09 GS12 is ready for its 3rd strip apparently. Fuel gauge reads empty and D&%#!! yellow triangle blinking with 4 1/2 gallons of fuel in tank. If it was me, I'd just disable the fuel gauge (don't know what to do to stop the yellow B!$%#@), but my wife isn't that forgiving and actually wants the fuel gauge (and everything else) on her $15,000 bike to work. Damn narrow view I say.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:20 PM   #39
stockracer
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Well, you can add mine to the list...
Riding my '09 GSA today, about 3/4 tank was indicated. A few minutes later, I looked down to see zero fuel, and then the dreaded yellow light and low fuel warning. It appears to be permanently in low fuel warning mode.
Topped of my fuel and zeroed the trip meter. Guess I'll be heading to the shop...

Anyone know if they've come out with an improved fuel strip yet?
stockracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:03 AM   #40
juvander
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
I just replaced today my fuel strip on my '09 GSA. I did this by just replacing the old with new. No need to do any calibration, it started showing correct amount right after riding few hundred meters.

In my case GS-911 was showing error '41705 Fuel Level Indicator'.
juvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:02 PM   #41
dede
Lefty

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockracer View Post
Well, you can add mine to the list...
Riding my '09 GSA today, about 3/4 tank was indicated. A few minutes later, I looked down to see zero fuel, and then the dreaded yellow light and low fuel warning. It appears to be permanently in low fuel warning mode.
Topped of my fuel and zeroed the trip meter. Guess I'll be heading to the shop...

Anyone know if they've come out with an improved fuel strip yet?
Can't answer your question but I have the same bike, same problem, it goes to the dealer next week to be fixed under warentee. In my case I am leaving for AK on 6/10. My question is "If it goes out again and I am forced to live with the flashing low fuel warning and the yellow triangle for the 3 week, 10.000 mile ride will the constant error code make the computer do something stupid?
Old 08-29-2011, 01:05 PM   #42
fawudd
Traveler

Oddometer: 100
Dede,

Not sure if you got a response, but I just saw the dreaded low fuel and Triangle today. I filled up and no difference. I am going to try the reset process, but it looks like the dealership is in my future. Bike has been flawless prior to this at 9800 miles. I have the same question as you, will it tell the computer to do something silly ? Thankfully, the trip meter works, so it is back to old school....at new school prices

fawudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #43
dede
Lefty

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawudd View Post
Dede,

Not sure if you got a response, but I just saw the dreaded low fuel and Triangle today. I filled up and no difference. I am going to try the reset process, but it looks like the dealership is in my future. Bike has been flawless prior to this at 9800 miles. I have the same question as you, will it tell the computer to do something silly ? Thankfully, the trip meter works, so it is back to old school....at new school prices

I was able to get mine repaired before leaving and no issues on the trip or since.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:49 PM   #44
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,385
I read about the fuel strip over and over.

I see that the non-computer bikes have a float. Is this true and will the float be able to be fitted in the tank of a computer equipped bike.

How much is the float

What is the output of the current fuel strip, capacitive, or resistance or what. It should be possible for someone to make an electronic converter that would change the output of the float sensor to the output the computer will accept. This wold provide a solution for riders after the BMW warranty expires. For a price of course.

Rod
ragtoplvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #45
Preston
livin4it

Oddometer: 216
OK OK, I know it's old stuff, but I am on my second fuel gage fix in 3 months. Wish the warranty covered the three days out of my life, the 600 miles if travel to dealer and the PITA it is for crap like this to go on!
So it's USA crappy fuel! Well BMW, find a f---ing gage that works with crappy fuel then..
I would join anyone in a class action suit just to make the point. Yeah, I like my BMW just like most of us do, but there comes a time when you have to admit crap is crap!

KLR650
R1200GS
Preston is offline   Reply With Quote