Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2010, 05:52 PM   #91
bumbee800
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
166 miles of riding between 50 and 60 mph (59 miles on national highways; two lane roads with roundabouts and a 90 kph/56 mph speed limit, a short city visit and 107 miles on an autoroute - read Interstate - into a stiff headwind) used 11.85 litres or 3.13 US gallons giving 53 mpg and a 224 mile tank range.

How does that compare to "standard" fuel consumption?
That is very comparable with what I am getting with the stock setup. I get about 170 miles just before my fuel light comes on and usually requires 13.5 liters. If I run very close to empty I can get about 210 miles of slow off road riding.
bumbee800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #92
Karel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
question - RK 525 XSO X'Ring Sealed Chain

Do you think that this is a good chain for 800gs?
http://www.sprocketcenter.com/p/1038...led-chain.html
Old 07-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #93
ecce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
On a recent trip my brothers 8gs with 15t was having a noticeable lower consumption than mine running the stock 16t gear. I would say approximately 7% on a full tank.

Attributed to different driving styles, even though we were driving the same speeds, as well as his bike having traveled faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more kilometers than mine.

We both have the laaaaaaaaaaatest software mapping from bmw.

So I am hoping the 15t on my bike wont make that much of a fuel difference as I and my bike are gradually getting more mature..
Old 07-02-2010, 09:53 AM   #94
Trout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Got my 15t yesterday - changed it out last night - soooo easy! Could probably be done at the trailhead if one were so inclined.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:40 PM   #95
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Oddometer: 625
Anyone else notice the 15t sprocket from TT being rough cut? I haven't installed it yet to try out but it looks rough around the tooth edges or is that normal and will wear off in a few miles?

2008 R1200GSA
WOLVERINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #96
Trout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERINE
Anyone else notice the 15t sprocket from TT being rough cut? I haven't installed it yet to try out but it looks rough around the tooth edges or is that normal and will wear off in a few miles?
Which version did you get? The 048-0481 I ordered/received was finished nicely. I was kinda surprised considering how inexpensive it was.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #97
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,613
Quote:
I noticed that on mine too. Other than a ride check I haven't run it. I didn't know they made 2 versions until I ordered a 17 tooth. That one was nicely finished and much better quality. I think they only shipped it to me because they were out of the cheap ones.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:00 AM   #98
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout
Which version did you get? The 048-0481 I ordered/received was finished nicely. I was kinda surprised considering how inexpensive it was.
I ordered the 048-0480. I guess I'll spend the 8$+ next time to get the better quality!

2008 R1200GSA
Old 07-05-2010, 08:15 AM   #99
GSThor
Down & Dirty

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout
Got my 15t yesterday - changed it out last night - soooo easy! Could probably be done at the trailhead if one were so inclined.
Do you need to break the chain to install it?
Marin County, Northern California, USA
GSThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:13 PM   #100
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSThor
Do you need to break the chain to install it?
Nope! Just loosen the chain adjuster to create slack and Voila!

2008 R1200GSA
Old 07-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #101
GSThor
Down & Dirty

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Nope! Just loosen the chain adjuster to create slack and Voila!
Great - my TT 15t is in the mail.
Marin County, Northern California, USA
GSThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #102
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
F800GS Clutch

Bought my 2009 with 1100 miles on it the end of May. I've put about 2500 miles on it in the past 2 months since I got it. The previous owner probably had a 28-29" inseam and balanced on the balls of his feet when on the bike. He rode trails a lot and I'm thinking slipped the clutch a bunch. The clutch catches way at the end of the release and I've let all the tension off. Transmission shifts smoothly but in 4th on up I can goose it and you can hear the clutch slip a bit. Probably need one in the near future. Any suggestions on a vendor with a better than OEM clutch? Anybody actually changed one of these out? I'm fairly handy mechanically and have a buddy whose a frickin mechanical genuis. I'm thinking he could take two washing machines, a 500 gallon propane tank, twelve luminous watch dials, a trolling motor and 2 dozen lead pencils and build a one man nuclear powered submersible.
Looking forward to hearing from the gallery on this.
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:17 AM   #103
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast1320
Bought my 2009 with 1100 miles on it the end of May. I've put about 2500 miles on it in the past 2 months since I got it. The previous owner probably had a 28-29" inseam and balanced on the balls of his feet when on the bike. He rode trails a lot and I'm thinking slipped the clutch a bunch. The clutch catches way at the end of the release and I've let all the tension off. Transmission shifts smoothly but in 4th on up I can goose it and you can hear the clutch slip a bit. Probably need one in the near future. Any suggestions on a vendor with a better than OEM clutch? Anybody actually changed one of these out? I'm fairly handy mechanically and have a buddy whose a frickin mechanical genuis. I'm thinking he could take two washing machines, a 500 gallon propane tank, twelve luminous watch dials, a trolling motor and 2 dozen lead pencils and build a one man nuclear powered submersible.
Looking forward to hearing from the gallery on this.
Clutch discussion here or here please.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:26 AM   #104
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
I put on the 15 to abate throttle jerk. It did a pretty good job at this but I noticed the highway difference in performance. Including a mileage difference. Got the chain recall and had them reinstall the new stock "freebee". I was glad to have it back. Solved the throttle jerk with the Booster Plug.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:50 PM   #105
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,680
I put a 15cs on this past weekend. Very nice improvement.

But, still needs lower gearing yet....for my preference in the woods & creeks. And, I kind of like the original gearing on the street. Since the counter sprocket swap is so quick & easy on this bike, I think I'll setup for a better combo for rapid swapping.

I'm going from:

Stock gearing: 42/16 combo = 2.63 ratio
With CS change: 42/15 combo = 2.80 ratio

To this combination:

Street: 45/17 = 2.65 ratio
Woods: 45/15 = 3.00 ratio

That will let me make the "long haul" at gearing very similar to stock, and give me a much better creek crawler when I make it to base camp. Again, the swap is simply a breeze on this bike....easiest I've ever done. I like the results Wildman is getting on his 45 combo. I think its a great idea, and I'm just taking it a step farther for more versatility.

BUT....what chain length will be needed? Wildman says 116 links works for 45/15 combo. But what about 45/17 combo? I'm wondering if I need a longer chain....say 117 or 118 links?

Wildman, what position is your adjuster sitting in the axle slot with the 116 link on 45/15 combo?

HF

p.s. What about a "Case Saver" on this bike? Sure seems it needs one. I posted this in my "Stupid Questions" thread also...
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote