User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #1
California OP
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 2,902
856 miles between 20* & 40*

It started out as a way to save money. I bought a 2010 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE out of Louisville, KY and it would cost about $450 to ship it to the Dallas area. So I started checking into airfares and stumbled upon a flight for only $113! Wow, what a deal! it's only 856 miles home, and at 40 plus miles to the gallon, that's only about $65.00 in gas. Add a night in a motel, because the flight didn't arrive in Louisville until almost 3:00pm and I should be home for about $250! Deal, right?

Well maybe.....

In the 10 days until the bargain flight, the weather changed! Instead of 30's at night and 50's during the day, the forecast is for teens at night, and maybe 30 during the day, and occassional snow flurries. Well, I've made my bed, now it's time to lie in it!

Dawn on Tuesday, on the way to the airport,

The bargain airfare included a change of planes in Charlotte, NC...

Wow, was I surprised, what a nice little airport, they even have rocking chairs for you to wait between flights, and a nice airy terminal.

Since it was about 1:00 in the afternoon, I was a little hungry, and decided on a meatball/parmesan cheese pocket sandwich wrapped in pizza dough.

You can be certain you're in the south, and they're proud of their NASCAR heritage, justifyibly, by the decor in the airport, the NASCAR store, the NASCAR cafe, blah, blah, blah, but I thought this picture was cool.....'

So when I arrived at Louisville airport, the temp was 29* and there was snow in all the fields. I quickly did the neccessary papers and headed for a gas station. You can see the snow in the background.

I rode to Nashville, found a motel and had a waffle with bacon at the Waffle House for dinner and crashed for the night. Tomorrow was going to be a cold one, and I needed my beauty sleep...

I woke up around 7:30am and switched on the TV, the weather girl said it was currently 15*, WHAT? 15, I didn't want to ride in 15 degrees, I thought, you know, maybe just around freezing would be ok, but 15*? Hmmmm, wonder how the bike fared? So I geared up and headed out to start the ride, well, I thought that's what I was going to do. The bike was frozen, and the battery had only a couple of clicks in her. DAMN! I should have brought her inside with me! DAMN!

For years, I have thought that motels had big wide doors to the rooms so that people in wheelchairs could have access too. What I didn't know was the real reason was so that riders could get their bikes inside for a number of reasons, anti-theft, etc. But the anti-freeze didn't occur to me. Well, I know better now! I pulled her inside, figureing that a little time in a warm environment would help the battery get going and I'd get on the road, later than planned, but still on the road.

I was wrong, 2 hours later, still only a few clicks was the best the battery could do. I knew the bike had been sitting for a while, but it started right up for me yesterday..........

OK, time for breakfast, let her sit a little while longer, have some hashbrowns with eggs, up, and crispy bacon, ahhhhhhhh! I'm ready to roll, I wonder if Tiger is ready?

NO! So I pushed her over to the gas station across the street and started asking the customers for battery cables. It wasn't long before a hippie looking dude, who was clearly living in his mid 80's GMC Jimmy came along, and the bike started on the first try! So finally, we're off. I went back to the room, loaded my crap, and took a picture of the TV.......

Finally, on the road for home. I had my FirstGear HT over pants with the liners in. My FirstGear Kilimanjaro, and two pairs of socks, boots, glove liners and winter gloves. Between the socks I put one of those disposable hand warmers, on top of my toes, and my feet were toasty warm for about 200 miles. I did the same between the gloves, on the back of my knuckles, and that along with heated grips, was enough to keep my hands good. I stopped twice at Starbucks for Grande Hot Brewed Tea and to just get my core temperature back up towards normal. By the time I reached Texarkana, the temp was all the way up to 39*. It was already 7:30pm, and I figured I didn't want to press on into the night for another 3 hours, so I got a Motel 6 garage/room

Not gonna make the same mistake two nights in a row!

The final 200 miles was a piece of cake, shoot, it was nearly summer like conditions with the starting temp at 35* and shooting all the way up to about 60* by the time I got home. Here's the screen shot from the GPS,

So the moral of the story? Well, first, don't leave your baby out in the cold, if the door is wide enough for her to fit through, bring in with you. Secondly, if you're geared up correctly, temps below freezing aren't all that cold......

Oh, what did it cost? $290.38! Gas, airfare, motels! so I still saved about a buck and a half, plus, I had an adventure! Cool!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference

California screwed with this post 12-11-2010 at 10:35 AM
California is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #2
this wont hurt much
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Nice looking bike! Hope you have a lot of good adventures with your new bike.
this wont hurt much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
otoko
Tustom User Citle

Oddometer: 60
The things we do for bikes. Good luck!
otoko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
TwoShots
Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,450
Nice!
TwoShots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:52 PM   #5
1994klr250
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by California View Post

So the moral of the story? Well, first, don't leave you baby out in the cold if the door is wide enough for her to fit through, and secondly, if you're geared up correctly freezing isn't all that cold......

I thought I was the only one that put my bike in the room for the night. Glad to see I'm not the only one that has done it.

1994 KLR250, 2009 F800GS, 2006 KLX351
1994klr250 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
trizzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Yep, we have had odd weather here in Louisville this year. It got much colder much earlier than normal, and hasnt let up. Its been snowing all day today.... Be glad you made it out when you did!

Did you buy that tiger from a private individual or a dealer? Whereabouts in the city were they?

Congrats on the new bike!
trizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:53 PM   #7
KeithTurk
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
I'm the idiot that just did the same thing from El Paso to Enterprise Alabama.... I get it totally....

Honestly I've been thinking that buying bikes far enough away at the right price might make for an interesting way to spend a summer....

Enjoyed the trip....

K
KeithTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:27 AM   #8
Stewart5533
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Cool little story, and cool bike.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:07 AM   #9
Ron In Buffalo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Good story sounds like your Adventure has already begun. Ron
Old 12-13-2010, 09:33 AM   #10
nunzo
nunzo

Oddometer: 280
Nice Tiger... This could become the bikes in motel room thread....

nunzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:57 AM   #11
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
Glad it worked out. But buy a new battery - the "moving the bike indoors" solution to cold weather starting is treating the symptom rather than the cause. If I were in your situation that first morning, my first stop would have been the local Sears or Walmart for a new battery.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:07 PM   #12
California OP
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 2,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Glad it worked out. But buy a new battery - the "moving the bike indoors" solution to cold weather starting is treating the symptom rather than the cause. If I were in your situation that first morning, my first stop would have been the local Sears or Walmart for a new battery.

- Mark

I thought about it, but I figured once I got it running, I was originally planning to ride straight through to DFW, but the late start and the cold slowed my progress down. The second night in Texarkana was a wimp out on my part. I just decided I din't want to ride any longer, just wanted to be warm!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference
California is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:38 PM   #13
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
Quote:
The second night in Texarkana was a wimp out on my part. I just decided I din't want to ride any longer, just wanted to be warm!
No doubt a great decision... continuing riding into a cold night after you've been on the road all day is a recipe for disaster.

I'd still replace the battery. Weak batteries are hard on the entire electrical system.

Cool adventure.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:41 AM   #14
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,387
Congrats!! Fly and ride... a great way to get acquainted with your new ride
Old 12-14-2010, 03:42 AM   #15
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,387
Quote:
The second night in Texarkana was a wimp out on my part. I just decided I din't want to ride any longer, just wanted to be warm!
Don't even think that. When on tour, I stop when ever my head or body tells me to. Too cold, too hot , tired of riding in rain after a few days of it. Just call it smart riding.

A '00 KLR 650 38,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote