Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2010, 07:59 PM   #91
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Hey guys, was wondering if I could get some help regarding the new Bergs.
Next year, I'm looking at doing either the Baja 1000, or a Rally in a far off land. I owned an 09 FE570 last year and rode it on the ice for the season but it felt really cramped to me, so I sold it (regret it now actually). I guess I should have given the 570 a bit more time and maybe some ergo treatments before getting rid of it.

I'm 6-3 and 240#'s and I have really long legs and arms. I currently own a 400 EXC, a 550 Berg and a Super Enduro. Of the three, I feel the most comfortable on the Super Enduro and tend to do all my D/S riding on it.

So the big question is, will the new Berg hold up to a good hard beating and still perform over the long haul? I'm far from an expert rider, but I do enjoy a spirited ride and I ride the local MX tracks a lot. Any other tall folks out there with good riding experience that can offer some real world advice. Opinion is nice, but nothing beats real world experience.

The local Berg dealer has a few left over 2010's and he's willing to consider my 07 400 as a trade in.

Thank you in advance!
Old 12-12-2010, 04:04 AM   #92
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,380
Aaron,

Check out Safariberg's post in the Australia and Racing forums as he and his team are the most knowledgeable group around on making the FE's last under rally/Safari conditions. Seems that once you get the filtering for the FI system sorted they can take a beating and hold up. Heard the same from a Portuguese rental business that has been running them for a few years now.

Of course the newer XC4's (530 etc) ain't bad either...

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:32 AM   #93
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Aaron,

Check out Safariberg's post in the Australia and Racing forums as he and his team are the most knowledgeable group around on making the FE's last under rally/Safari conditions. Seems that once you get the filtering for the FI system sorted they can take a beating and hold up. Heard the same from a Portuguese rental business that has been running them for a few years now.

Hey Lucas, Thanks for the tip!
Old 12-12-2010, 11:12 AM   #94
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Aaron,

There is an ozzie company that makes filter socks to go over the pump pickup and an tank inlet filter to catch crap as you fillup. Multiple tiers of defense help.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:00 PM   #95
twotyred
Practising Recedivist

Oddometer: 1,985
http://www.profill-australia.com/ and they are quite willing to ship Internationally.

I have fitted both to my 'Berg and I am very happy with them. I am about to fit a Safari tank and I doubt the filler will fit. Plan on making a holder so that when I pour fuel into the tank from a jerry can the fuel will still be filtered.

More enthusiasm than ability!!
twotyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:03 PM   #96
JKL
Rider

Oddometer: 742
A bunch of local guys just finished the Baja 1000 on a Husaberg570 (308X).
The bike worked great with the usual modifications - bigger tank, suspension, lights, fan and guards.
JKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:29 PM   #97
Grape_Ape
It Feels Good

Oddometer: 464
2010 FE570 Plated

There's more than a few 'bergs in this montage:

RCR Colorado 2010 Montage from

Grape Ape on Vimeo.
Grape_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:35 AM   #98
PABiker
Anywhere but here

Oddometer: 3,778
I never get tired of watching that video.

Can't wait for our return trip next year.
PABiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:02 AM   #99
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
I'm 6-3 and 240#'s and I have really long legs and arms. I currently own a 400 EXC, a 550 Berg and a Super Enduro. Of the three, I feel the most comfortable on the Super Enduro and tend to do all my D/S riding on it.

So the big question is, will the new Berg hold up to a good hard beating and still perform over the long haul? I'm far from an expert rider, but I do enjoy a spirited ride and I ride the local MX tracks a lot. Any other tall folks out there with good riding experience that can offer some real world advice. Opinion is nice, but nothing beats real world experience.
I'm 6'3", 220 lbs and have a 34" inseem. In general, I like KTM's (had a 450exc and 950A, and I still have a 250exc) because of their tall-guy ergos. My 570 has the tallest Hard Parts handlebar risers and the bars are in the most forward position. With just that modification, the ergos feel good to me.

Regarding how the bike holds up, I have 112 hrs on mine and it doesn't use an once of oil between changes (ranging from 15-22 hours). The valves haven't needed any adjustment yet. I've ridden it in some pretty rough terrain: some of the hardest trails around here and in Colorado. It's a great bike!
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:00 AM   #100
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
I'm 6'3", 220 lbs and have a 34" inseem. In general, I like KTM's (had a 450exc and 950A, and I still have a 250exc) because of their tall-guy ergos. My 570 has the tallest Hard Parts handlebar risers and the bars are in the most forward position. With just that modification, the ergos feel good to me.

Regarding how the bike holds up, I have 112 hrs on mine and it doesn't use an once of oil between changes (ranging from 15-22 hours). The valves haven't needed any adjustment yet. I've ridden it in some pretty rough terrain: some of the hardest trails around here and in Colorado. It's a great bike!
Thanks for the response. I was in Colorado/Moab this fall and did a bunch of riding. Great place, its almost limitless when it comes to all the riding. Try MOAB, its off the hook

I've got a line on a brand new 570, I just need to sell my 07 400 EXC to make up the difference.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:05 AM   #101
toro618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
video

don't know if this vid has already been posted, but here is one

http://vimeo.com/8099905
toro618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:37 PM   #102
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,716
Quote:
Thanks for the response. I was in Colorado/Moab this fall and did a bunch of riding. Great place, its almost limitless when it comes to all the riding. Try MOAB, its off the hook

I've got a line on a brand new 570, I just need to sell my 07 400 EXC to make up the difference.
6'3" here.....hi bend bars...pivot pegs in the "low" position ...fits like a glove

140 hours.....
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:28 PM   #103
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
6'3" here.....hi bend bars...pivot pegs in the "low" position ...fits like a glove

140 hours.....
I've got a choice between the 2011 and a left over 2010. The 2010 is a great deal but the thought of not having to dick around with getting it plated is a bonus almost worth paying for I think. The new forks are an added bonus also

I haven't actually seen the bikes, I've been talking with a trusted Berg dealer about them. What did the 2010's come with for controls? What extra's did you need for the wiring to make it street legal?

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2010, 08:19 PM   #104
Ink
Slave to the Needle

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
I've got a choice between the 2011 and a left over 2010. The 2010 is a great deal but the thought of not having to dick around with getting it plated is a bonus almost worth paying for I think. The new forks are an added bonus also

I haven't actually seen the bikes, I've been talking with a trusted Berg dealer about them. What did the 2010's come with for controls? What extra's did you need for the wiring to make it street legal?

Thanks!
Start switch, head light/kill switch, thats it for stock controls on the 2010. Depending where you are, and your state requirements, you'll need a turn signal switch, which has high/low beam control, horn switch, and a horn, turn signals, and mirror, draw backs are new switch gear does not have a kill switch. What I have on mine is the high/low, horn, turn signal switch, which has the horn wired as the kill switch. What I've found was that just buying the turn signals and switch doesn't get you everything, you'll still need a wiring harness to connect the signals to the switch and power. You will not have a key, no big deal, but just thought you'd like to know. Here in Kentucky things are much easier, since you don't even need turn signals, I put them on because I wanted them, also, buying a KTM/Husaberg makes it even easier since the MSO looks like like what you'd see on any other street bike, mine did NOT say off road only. If you want to make things easy, buy the 2011. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:37 PM   #105
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink View Post
Start switch, head light/kill switch, thats it for stock controls on the 2010. Depending where you are, and your state requirements, you'll need a turn signal switch, which has high/low beam control, horn switch, and a horn, turn signals, and mirror, draw backs are new switch gear does not have a kill switch. What I have on mine is the high/low, horn, turn signal switch, which has the horn wired as the kill switch. What I've found was that just buying the turn signals and switch doesn't get you everything, you'll still need a wiring harness to connect the signals to the switch and power. You will not have a key, no big deal, but just thought you'd like to know. Here in Kentucky things are much easier, since you don't even need turn signals, I put them on because I wanted them, also, buying a KTM/Husaberg makes it even easier since the MSO looks like like what you'd see on any other street bike, mine did NOT say off road only. If you want to make things easy, buy the 2011. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Thanks Ink! According to the dealer, the 2010 title reads "off road" , which makes it a bit more of a pain. We don't need turn signals in VT but I'll need them for Rallymoto events. Do you have a picture of the 2010 controls? Is it the good old European CEV Switch?