User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2005, 03:15 AM   #1
mac964 OP
one armed bandit

Oddometer: 75
Idiot questions from a Brit looking to be in Anchorage/ BC in July

Looking to airfreight my bike from the UK to Anchorage before riding to Calgary for the beginning of July and have some "newbie" questions having never been up there before

Will be on my modified 1200 Gs - modified as I only have one arm and leg - Long John Silver eat your heart out!

1) Roads - Am currently running the bike on on stock alloys and Tourances - as I am not looking to do any serious off roading - the trip should be a big enough adventure - do I need to swap to more off road tires/ wheels - I have no idea of whether the roads are pavement on the whole of gravel

2) Any must sees - was planning on going up to Fairbanks and then down towards Yukon - Denali sounds nice ( although the crowds sound like shit!) or should I do the cost and Valdez etc ...

3) Same goes for BC - I've read a few books but nothing beats local knowledge - any pointers apreciated.

If any of you are in Anchorage or along the route - let me know and I'll bring additional beer funds!

Cheers

Mac
mac964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 04:39 AM   #2
mitch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,318
Mac,try and get a copy of the Milepost or go to www.themilepost.com
as they say the bible of north country travel.
Good luck and enjoy, I only wish I was going with you
06 GSA . SE. will try to stay away from pickups.
Well it was a car this time #L/tib & fib in the same place as the previous F wit crushed it
Ducati making mechanics out of riders for 50 years
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:47 AM   #3
legion
Wait Til Friday

Oddometer: 12,533
The Milepost is the tool for you, Mac. The roads are paved except where there's road construction and in the summer there's quite a bit of pavement that's being repaired or needs it.

Don't plan on being able to get fuel in the more remote parts of the Alcan at night. Places like Destruction Bay lock up tighter than a drum around 10:00p. Canucks can't cook for shit so best to keep a lowered expectation when you pull into a restaurant. You being from England though that part might not apply.
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:52 AM   #4
RDJEff
Lost in Alaska

Oddometer: 995
Although Denali Park might be a bit congested with tourists, you might want to try the Denali Highway. It used to be the only access to the Park, and is 130 miles of decent gravel road, and is the best kept secret in Alaska. Best of luck to you!
RDJEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:27 AM   #5
friar mike
IronButtGruver

Oddometer: 4,909
Thumb fly and ride to Alaska

Hi Mac

Where in England are you? I lived there in the south for 6 months just out side of newbury thats about 20 miles from Swindon. had a old K bike I rode over there. check out my web site www.abbeyauto.com I live about 50 north of Anchorage in Wasilla Theres a map on my web side on how to get here drop by for a pint I have camping space if you need it and shop service if needed.Tourances are a great choice sould be all you need if you go to Valdez and want to take the farriy to Whittier its very costly and you need tickits in advance. what time do you plan this trip? if the timing is right you could meet a big group of riders in Dawson Yukon on June 17th for some big fun

:pui
Good-Bad-Iam the guy with the gun "evil dead"
God's speed Rommel run free my dog

friar mike screwed with this post 05-09-2005 at 02:47 PM
friar mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:45 AM   #6
akrider
mild adventurer

Oddometer: 1,720
Alaska and the Alcan

What they said>

People drive anything and everything up and down the Alcan. The adventure stories are 20 years old or created by people that did something very stupid.
Almost anywhere you need to go is paved and the only gravel will be, as legion mentioned, road repair. When you get to construction go to the head of the line, they let motorcycles go first following the pilot car. Just take it easy. A GS, even without knobbies is all that is needed. Guys on sport bikes and Harleys go everywhere in Alaska so with the 1200 your not going to have any trouble.

Depending on the time you have going south out of Anchorage to Seward, Kenai, and Homer is a great trip. Heading North out of Anchorage will take you to Denali and its worth the stop. Continue North to Fairbanks and onto the Alcan. It's all good highway.

Keep in touch and let us locals know when you hit Anchorage. We're always looking for a reason to ride.....And Legion will buy the first round!

Ignoranus-def: someone who is stupid and an asshole.
akrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 01:25 PM   #7
mac964 OP
one armed bandit

Thanks guys,

Ordered a copy of Milepost this afternoon.

still need to finalise my dates at work - for a 5 month sabbatical! But beginning of July is the aim.

Overall plan is Anchorage to NY via BC / Montana / Wyoming/ Bad lands etc

Still a shit load of planning to do...!!

Mac
Old 05-09-2005, 01:32 PM   #8
mac964 OP
one armed bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar mike
Hi Mac

Where in England are you? I lived there in the south for 6 months just out side of newberry thats about 20 miles from Swindon. had a old K bike I rode over there. check out my web site www.abbeyauto.com I live about 50 north of Anchorage in Wasilla Theres a map on my web side on how to get here drop by for a pint I have camping space if you need it and shop service if needed.Tourances are a great choice sould be all you need if you go to Valdez and want to take the farriy to Whittier its very costly and you need tickits in advance. what time do you plan this trip? if the timing is right you could meet a big group of riders in Dawson Yukon on June 17th for some big fun

:pui
I'm in London - the big smoke - but grew up in oxfordshire - just a bit further west of Newbury.

Nice Web site

wasilla looks like a good way to access the Denali Highway - may well take you up on the camping space offer - !
Old 05-09-2005, 04:35 PM   #9
redseca2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac964
Thanks guys,

Ordered a copy of Milepost this afternoon.

Mac
You will find that the Milepost has the binding and heft of a large city phone book. Although I do not like to see harm come to books, this is a situation where a motorcyclist needs to take a razor knife, straightedge and cutting board and do a little editing....
redseca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:18 PM   #10
AKBMW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 713
Right the MP might be sweet if it was in a PDF (or on a disk) format then just print waht you need. ??

09 R1200 ADV :)

2013 Prudhoe to Key West T2T (tip2tail)
AKBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 10:58 PM   #11
KL5A
Bugs are the new black

Oddometer: 4,479
The only stupid question is the one you ask after you get into trouble....so ask away. We're friendly to the point of stalking here in Alaska.

This website is a good one to consult when making your plans-all the road construction/closure/driving conditions here in one easy spot. Go to the webcams and see regularly refreshed images and weather info. Go here http://511.alaska.gov/ and check it out.

The Denali highway is a must see if you go to all the trouble of coming here. Don't confuse the Denali Highway with Denali Park or the park road, they are seperate roads. The Denali Highway is 135 miles of some of the wildest road anywhere, depending on your pace you can do it in 2 hours (claimed by a writer for Cycle World IIRC, I kind of doubt he really did it in 2 hours) or 2 days. It is the Alaska you're coming here to see, so you might as well go for it.

And ditto on the edit of the milepost. The format of the book is not bike friendly. Definitely keep the map, cut out the pages you think you want. If you need a refresher on where you are going just pop into a bookstore and look one over. You can dump the ads and stuff, noone needs that.
HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

Only dead fish go with the flow.
KL5A is offline   Reply With Quote