Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Even with the discount?
www.JustGasTanks.com 5% discount to ADVrider inmates, coupon code: Advrider
yep, but not by much.

JGT price is $199.62 less 5% is a buck and change more than the Clarke website price. Not worth fiddling with, I've bought many tanks from JGT.

The bike I was looking at is in exceptional condition, but it's also 1200 miles away and I'd prefer to find something either a bit closer, or exactly what I want (clean carb'd TE610)
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:41 PM   #62
Huskyfatman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
yep, but not by much.

JGT price is $199.62 less 5% is a buck and change more than the Clarke website price. Not worth fiddling with, I've bought many tanks from JGT.

The bike I was looking at is in exceptional condition, but it's also 1200 miles away and I'd prefer to find something either a bit closer, or exactly what I want (clean carb'd TE610)
Not to sound pushy, but Rick Bozarth is responsible for getting Clark to produce the oversized tank by placing the required large initial order. He might charge a few bucks more, but deservs Husaberg owners support for promoting the brand before the new models were so well accepted IMO.
http://www.offroadboss.com/

If you're looking for a TE610, I think a hard edge Berg might disapoint you for street duty. I choose to ride my old '97 ATK over my Berg if there's going to be much highway travel. Just sayin'!

"So I think the WR250R is a primo dual sport, especially for trout bums"-Jäger

Huskyfatman screwed with this post 12-08-2010 at 11:34 AM
Huskyfatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:45 AM   #63
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Take a look at the LEDs in my sig

I'm gonna put a couple of the 10 watts on my 98 400FE
I have an LED helmet light that works great but nothing compares to that 8" round HID at 100 mph (yet).
Old 12-08-2010, 07:18 AM   #64
wallache
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
A couple more questions about the '06 FE550E...

* Oil capacity - don't see it listed in official specs, only mentioned in the occasional oil thread at ~ 1 liter.
Is it like the KTM RFS and all in one place, or like the newer motors and in separate transmission and crankcase volumes?

* The one, large radiator - easy to put a fan kit on? Does it tend to run hot in slow technical stuff, or does that radiator do a good job?

* Battery - Is there a common upgrade similar to the KTM RFS, like swapping the Yuasa YTZ7S or YTX5L-BS battery in place of the weaker YTX4LBS. (and is there room for a bigger battery). Important if running a fan...
It takes about 700 mL without a filter change, and right at 1 liter with filter change.

Appearently a Yuasa CTZ7S is a direct drop in with about 50% more CCA.
wallache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:40 AM   #65
Huskyfatman
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
The rad has holes in it for a fan. Seems to run cooler than my 525 ever did. Just like the RFS bikes in the oil dept. I just upgraded to one of those new style lightweight lithium batteries.
Which battery did you use and how do you like it? My original is still working fine in my '05 believe it or not.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:31 PM   #66
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskyfatman View Post
Not to sound pushy, but Rick Bozarth is responsible for getting Clark to produce the oversized tank by placing the required large initial order. He might charge a few bucks more, but deservs Husaberg owners support for promoting the brand before the new models were so well accepted IMO.
http://www.offroadboss.com/

If you're looking for a TE610, I think a hard edge Berg might disapoint you for street duty. I choose to ride my old '97 ATK over my Berg if there's going to be much highway travel. Just sayin'!
I think there is one main point that often gets over looked. Is how dealers really supported the Husaberg line. I can think of three of them whom I have had the pleasure of dealing with. Rick is one of the three. The other two are Fritz in Gunnison and Dan in Northern Cal. All three of these guys have gone above and beyond for me more than once. And who could forget Rick's big ride on that 650 a few years back. Berg dealers live and breath the brand.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:53 PM   #67
Huskyfatman
Studly Adventurer

My local dealer is great for KTM's, but didn't know much about my leftover "Euro" model 650 when I bought it. I called Dan at Motoxotica and he knew all about my wierd 650 and sent me the proper jets for my carb and treated me like I had bought the bike from him. Too bad he's not a Berg dealer anymore. I'll still buy all my Husky and ATK parts from him and get my Berg stuff from Rick.

Hey Hair, weren't you the guinea pig for the Trail Tech KTM stators use in Husabergs? Did you float the ground?

Old 12-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #68
brucifer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,231
Went for a little ride today. It was wet and sloppy and slimy. It was around 55-60 degrees with a gentle southern breeze and no rain. Awesome.
Here's the big, bad 650 with my buddy Brian and his Husky WR 2-fiddy.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:58 PM   #69
yellowbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
I'm going to throw in what I know about these bikes just to increase the knowledge base a little.

For all years of Husaberg from 1989 to 2008, they used only 2 different styles of engine mounting. The more common style was for the pre 2001 non-electric start bikes. This motor mounting style was the same as all of the 2001 to 2008 engines. This means that any '01 to '08 engine will bolt into any frame unless it's an e-start frame prior to 2001. This also means that the early non-e-start engines will bolt into the newer frames.

Then there is the second style of engine mounting - the early e-start bikes. They had the starter on the front of the engine down by the front engine mount which necessitated a different design.

How do I know this?

I had a 2000 FX600E and got in a head-on collision with it. The frame was bent at the steering head so I purchased a 2003 frame off of ebay. The engine wouldn't fit because of the e-starter so I sold the engine. I also had a '95 FE501 non-e-start bike and it looked like the engine would bolt right in. It did and I was rewarded with a great handling and super lightweight 500 cc thumper.

Then, the transmission locked up on the 501 and I found what I think is a '97 vintage FC600 engine on craigslist. That engine also bolted right in and I now have a bike that's just as light but even faster! I'm currently setting up a Keihin FCR 40 for it and am super encouraged by the results.

Also, having owned several KTMs during all this time, I must mention that the rear wheels of all husabergs from 2000 to 2008 (not sure about the early bikes or the 70 degree bikes) will swap with KTM's of the same years. This is nice because the 'Bergs had the chain on the opposite side compared to the KTM's and if you're blessed enough to have one of each, you can swap wheels between the two bikes to maximize the tire life. Run a tire on the 'Berg for a while until it starts to wear, flip it around, and run it on the KTM with fresh edges.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:33 AM   #70
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,224
cool i'd like a frankenberg. the ktm rear wheels are the same from 1993 until now.

how does a husaberg 6 speed spread compare to a rfs or husky te tranny?
dentvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:31 AM   #71
makazica
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Not sure if posted before, but here you have a wealth of information:

http://www.husaberg.org/

M.
makazica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:47 AM   #72
wallache
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
Same spread as a 530 EXC. From here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=238
wallache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:35 AM   #73
yellowbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
cool i'd like a frankenberg. the ktm rear wheels are the same from 1993 until now.

There were at least 2 different gear sets and maybe even 3.

My 501 engine is an FE with the wide ratio tranny and it's definitely got a super low first and a screaming fast 6th. Personally, I find it to be a bit gappy but I'm used to a KTM 250SXF 6-speed which needs a ton of clutch in technical riding because of the tall first and only tops out at 70 to 75 with my current gearing (13/48).

The 600 engine is from an FC which is the motocross bike. It's got the close ratio 6 speed and, with my current 13/42 gearing, has a really good spread. First is fairly nice for technical riding without being a creeper gear and 6th is probably good for about 90.

In the early bikes, some of the FC motocrossers came with a 4 speed. Needless to say, I was thrilled to find that mine had the 6 speed.

The FX bikes may have had yet another transmission but I'm not interested in doing that research at the moment. If anyone needs actual ratios, I recall seeing them somewhere at the husaberg.org websight.

Tom
Old 12-16-2010, 09:48 AM   #74
Huskyfatman
Studly Adventurer

I think the RFS has three ratios as well (plus the 4spd in the SX), the MXC was closer than the EXC six speeds and the more recent dual sports were/are even wider. The Husky is the widest of all three.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:44 AM   #75
JossaXR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
My Fe650-2008

Bougt it in september with only 27h and 1000km on the odo

006 by Johan Hennerfors, on Flickr

008 by Johan Hennerfors, on Flickr

010 by Johan Hennerfors, on Flickr

011 by Johan Hennerfors, on Flickr