Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2010, 06:21 AM   #16
Motorfiets OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWS View Post
Looking good.
Are there any crash bars that fit with that tank?
not yet... going to custom weld and bend some up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane View Post
I like the colour scheme ... even the frame, although it is a little bit "KTMish"

CRAP!!!! I was thinking ducati!

I was wondering how the Brittanica Composites fairing and the handlebar risers work together. No intereference ?

So far good fit on the fairing! Mounts just like the TT one. With the scotts alone it hit the fairing just slighty... but when I added the block risers it moved them outta the way so no more hitting.

Also have you tried out the fairing? I was thinking of getting a similar setup when funds permit.

Love the fairing so far! slide up for 100mph+ no buffeting... just more noise... and screaming from the passenger!

I also wondered what you were doing to the suspension?
Ohlins rear is on the horizon thus far and still doing research on the front... just not many companies out there for the forks yet...
Old 12-20-2010, 08:41 AM   #17
Trout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Paint the frame! As you have it laid out in the picture bike looks fantastic! Awesome work - enjoying watching your build.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:53 AM   #18
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,892
Way to go Ben! Keep it up and keep us posted.

YamahaRZ350
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:05 AM   #19
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,604

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:54 PM   #20
Motorfiets OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
GPS mounting.... Ok folks need some help!

going to mount the GPS right above the instrument cluster like this picture shows.

here is what I have currently....

now should I just bolt this ^ straight up or should I get one of these or similar?

Old 12-22-2010, 10:51 AM   #21
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,307
Get the locking mount. It won't deter a really determined thief, but it keeps the casual sticky fingers away. Plus it damps the vibrations which can't be a bad thing.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:56 AM   #22
kildala2000
The GS Store.

Oddometer: 2,040
Thumb Cool

Hey Ben,
Thanks for the plug on my items and I can't wait to follow your trip on ADVrider. Keep us posted.
Rick
kildala2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:06 AM   #23
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Oddometer: 1,006
I thought pelican cases are the RTW panniers of choice, since they are so tough.

Anyways, it's great to see this progressing.
inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:09 PM   #24
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Dent View Post
Like most bike outfitting stuff, it seems to be an eclectic mix without a clear "favorite" for long distance traveling. Wilder examples include RTW Doug who uses/ed a military sea bag, the RTW guy on a moped used a milk crate, I think. I prefer metal to plastic or cloth. Unless sticking to pavement, whether metal, cloth/canvas/cordura, plastic, they will incur some damage at some point. I prefer metal/welding repair solutions as they seem to be resources readily available almost anywhere. If pelican cases are the best thing to have, I'd be happy to start my trip over using them .

indeed there is an eclectic mix i had not realized. this rtw guy likes pelican cases (linky). good point about readily available repair solutions.
well, back to the show
inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:46 PM   #25
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG_WTF View Post
indeed there is an eclectic mix i had not realized. this rtw guy likes pelican cases (linky). good point about readily available repair solutions.
well, back to the show
One more vote for the pelicans. Although they don't look as good as some the others, they are tough as nails and remain truly water proof even after several full blown crashes. Tough to beat the lifetime warranty too.

I also agree with the Double Take Mirrors. They have been great so far. If you do go that route, I'd suggest carrying a spare ball mount (the one that bolts to the original mount location) as we've already broke a couple. They don't seem to be up to the usual Ram quality.

Cory

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:41 AM   #26
BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
[QUOTE=A Dent;14759315

The [B]doubletake mirrors[/B] virtually eliminate the impact to this important shared bracket, and of course to the mirrors themselves (buy 2 doubletake mirrors and 3 mounts so you've one for spare.). Cheap swap outs that provide significant benefits.

Sorry if a stupid question, but what are doubletake mirrors?
Gotta a link or pic? Sounds interesting.
Thanks! Keith
BMW_BIKER_KEITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:51 AM   #27
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_BIKER_KEITH View Post
Sorry if a stupid question, but what are doubletake mirrors?
Gotta a link or pic? Sounds interesting.
Thanks! Keith
The first link that comes up on Google is often the answer to stupid questions.

http://www.doubletakemirror.com/
Old 12-23-2010, 01:35 PM   #28
BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Wow... those are cool. And reasonably priced!
Thanks for the link!
BMW_BIKER_KEITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:47 PM   #29
sijohnston
LiverpoolFC

Oddometer: 70
my recommendation would be...

1. lose the hard panniers. wolfman expeditions or giant loop are a better option and all of those on tour with me in Mongolia this summer, without exception, are now moving to softs.
2. lose the TT tool kit on the TT bashplate. anyone i know with it has cursed it as with water crossings, all the tools get wet and corrode to high heaven.
3. upgrade the rims if possible. if you can't don't worry, just expect them to be pretty dinged up on your return. the lighter and stronger excels would be a much better option.
4. don't worry about colour schemes and how it looks...just get out and ride the thing!
5. keep it light, light, light. After my summer with 40k miles on it now, if i don't scale down to a single cylinder japanese bike (easier to get parts in Siberia), I'll be stripping out everything that's not essential. ie., losing HID's as ballasts are heavy, losing engine bars, autocom, weighty mirrors and many other weight saving ideas.
Hope this helps...
Old 12-25-2010, 04:10 PM   #30
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Some of things you're recommending dropping might be a slight annoyance through Mongolia, yes. They could also, however, prove very nice and useful for the rest of the world! Prepping for the world is a balancing act. Some things that are annoying in certain countries could prove comfy/helpful/very useful in others. The balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sijohnston View Post
1. lose the hard panniers. wolfman expeditions or giant loop are a better option and all of those on tour with me in Mongolia this summer, without exception, are now moving to softs.
I myself would stick with the hard bags. Again, they might be a tad of a pest in harder countries (which are fewer than the easier countries btw), but could prove very comfortable and useful in the other 90% of the trip. Just sayin'.

Quote:
2. lose the TT tool kit on the TT bashplate. anyone i know with it has cursed it as with water crossings, all the tools get wet and corrode to high heaven.
I'd have to agree with this one.

Quote:
3. upgrade the rims if possible. if you can't don't worry, just expect them to be pretty dinged up on your return. the lighter and stronger excels would be a much better option.
I agree with this one as well.

Quote:
4. don't worry about colour schemes and how it looks...just get out and ride the thing!
If I myself am riding my motorcycle around the world and am going to be on it for months and/or years, I'd want to like how it looks upon leaving too! Besides, it's fun!

Quote:
5. keep it light, light, light. After my summer with 40k miles on it now, if i don't scale down to a single cylinder japanese bike (easier to get parts in Siberia), I'll be stripping out everything that's not essential. ie., losing HID's as ballasts are heavy, losing engine bars, autocom, weighty mirrors and many other weight saving ideas.
Hope this helps...

IMO light is good, yes. But you're actually going to want to make it around the world! Protective items like crash bars and skid plates and headlight guards are essential. The HID's? I agree. Ditch 'em. Autocom? I agree. Another trinket to break down. Mirrors? Maybe in Mongolia where there's no traffic, but they're going to come in very useful in the other 90% of the countries with traffic! I say remove 'em and pack 'em away when they present a problem, pull 'em out and use 'em the rest of the time!
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote