Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2010, 09:55 PM   #91
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Oddometer: 307
November 27th to December 11th! Here in the Mountain Side of Maryland we celebrate the time honored tradition of "White Tail Deer" hunting season. For two weeks the men (and just like motorcycling ) and women take to the woods with various caliber rifles depending on your individual preference. But before the big day you need to go to "The Range"!
Fort Hill Rifle and Pistol Club is one of numerous ranges around the Cumberland area. They are very nice ranges that accommodate everything from pistols and small arms with one range that includes 100yd range, and a variety of shorter ranges for small arms and pistols. Another range several miles outside the city with a rifle range only and the 300 yd range for the truly high powered rifle. These pics don't do them justice, but for your viewing pleasure...!!

This day we where on the range just outside of town this gentleman had I believe it was a special .22 cal match competition rifle with a bull barrel

This about 100yds out from the targets on the 300yd range. There are pop up targets from behind the mound identical to a military range set up.

Same range a little farther back about 175 yds

I was just at the near town range the other day with one of my rifles and my pistols sighting them in. Now if I could combine riding, shooting firearms, and photography..... !

Riff screwed with this post 12-10-2010 at 10:14 PM
Riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:44 AM   #92
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,055
You can, guess you have never been dual sporting in WV
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:07 AM   #93
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,407
Your pic of the M 14 really brings back memories. Last weapon I carried in the Corps , besides my trusty 1911A1. ;-)

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:10 AM   #94
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

You can, guess you have never been dual sporting in WV

Hey WVH I thought we lost you to the northern tundra for the winter? Glad to see ya. Here in the "Peoples Republic of Maryland" I am lucky to have firearms. That is one of many reasons I am very proud of and enjoy living here in the Western Maryland mountains. All the NORMAL people live up here and know how to enjoy the finer things in life. Seriously Western Maryland seems to be one of the best kept secrets in Maryland, and that is ok with me. More for me!

Your pic of the M 14 really brings back memories. Last weapon I carried in the Corps , besides my trusty 1911A1. ;-)

We where on the range that day and this great young man whom I could tell was still serving (regulation haircut) had all his gear here and was playing around at about 100 yds at that first mound of targets. You notice of course there is not scope on that rifle, and he was laying in some good groupings. Glad he is one of our boys! We have a lot of retired, and current military here in the Cumberland area. It seems like this is the Cumberland version of Pensacola for retirees from the military up here. They don't retire they just stay active though, and enjoy the deserved fruits of there labors. Some of the folks around here have firearm collections that would rival a Cabelas museum room.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:42 PM   #95
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,391
Good looking range
Old 12-15-2010, 03:39 PM   #96
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

I'm still in NYC Riff, driving thru Cumberland every weekend just about.
Was pretty foggy Sunday
Old 12-20-2010, 10:04 PM   #97
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Hey Signal - Those pics of the two Ranges don't do it justice! The Range on the edge of town has a military / Law Enforcement Competition Pistol ranges, and the 300 yd Range out of town has a section set aside for silhouette .22 cal competition range. It really makes the sport even more exciting, and making enhancing our proficiency at it more fun [if that where possible].

Hey There WVH coming through this weekend could prove interesting. it will be more than fog around Keyser's Ridge. Meteorologists are saying the "pineapple Express" hassling the west coast right now could be on us this weekend, and that would mean the white stuff for us, with the potential for significant accumulation! The Wisp, and Canaan Valley would love that. And to be honest I wouldn't mind a "White Christmas". Still looking for some knobbies for Kira to run her in the snow. Almost went out today, it was only 28. It felt kind of balmy compared to last week.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:04 AM   #98
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

I'm used to the snowy commute, at least this new company truck is 4x4.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:56 AM   #99
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
I'm used to the snowy commute, at least this new company truck is 4x4.

Let me guess 3/4 dual wheeled super duty, and then to make it go faster you get out and push! Us Mountain Men are a hardy bunch. Yeah like you I grew up in a community where it weren't normal less we had a little snow lying around in March.

By the way I like the new "Avatar" you have.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #100
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

New truck looks like this.

Old truck was a 2wd F250. With good tires it was only sorta scary.
Main flaw of this truck is the fuel cut off at 87 mph.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:39 AM   #101
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

WVhillbilly New truck looks like this.
Old truck was a 2wd F250. With good tires it was only sorta scary.
Main flaw of this truck is the fuel cut off at 87 mph.[/QUOTE]

Some how knowing from your Bikes and reports you would have this much Truck. A real Mountaineer's truck not one of those sissy trucks. It is a nice looking ride..... I might know some Mechanic that might be able to -- uhummm -- help adjust the 87 mph barrier ! Merry Christmas WVH.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #102
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

klrmike;Nice RR. I've ridden alot of the same roads thru the years. Now I find myself riding North into Maryland and Pa. and further

Great meetings and thanks klrmike. I hear ya, and BTW if you have any pics and stories feel free to put some up. On a side note I have a good friend from Frostburg who was raised in the south migrated north to here. He had and rode r100 beemer for quite a while, sold it and went to a Honda st1100, turned around bought another r100, sold both the beemer and the st1100, and bought a brand new "GoldWing". He only rides north. He'll take off in the morning for a little ride and could wind up calling me from the finger lakes of upstate NY. One of the rides I am looking forward to is the grand canyon of the east coast up northern Pa. Just thought of a funny image of you on your KLR, WVH on His KTM and me on the BMW K12R. That would make a real eclectic cycle image. Merry Christmas hope it is a good one!
Old 12-24-2010, 12:26 PM   #103
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

a Very Merry Christmas to all on this fantastic site, and a great big expression and thanks to Baldy and all the support staff for their arduous labors of love in making "ADVrider.com" the best site on the internet.
Can I get a witness?

Old 12-24-2010, 01:00 PM   #104
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Roads were not bad in your area Riff, pretty slippery in mine tho.
Would love to go on a ride with a few of you guys.
Right now the KTMs are sitting in the cold garage

Is it spring yet?
Old 12-24-2010, 02:11 PM   #105
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riff View Post
You notice of course there is not scope on that rifle, and he was laying in some good groupings. Glad he is one of our boys!
I'm not sure what qualification is now for the Marines. Back then (62-65) we had to do 200 , 300 and 500 yards. All peep site. I started with the M1 then next it was the M14 my last 2 years. I plumb forgot what it was with the pistol. Just been too long ago.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote