Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2010, 04:07 PM   #31
Roarin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Hmmm. I'm going the opposite way on my 625 SXC. Got to be a few kilo's less to lug around less the battery and starter motor.
Roarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:23 PM   #32
supamanaint
when in doubt - power out

Oddometer: 180
I have been using my TTR600 for ADV riding for years now, only problem i`ve ever had was finding a place for my walking stick (no shit, stuffed legs).
Even rode it for a month with a broken de-comp cable (that`ll man you up real quick).
supamanaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:24 PM   #33
CJ Burns Esq
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
My girlfriend rides a Kicksart only KLR250 and loves it.
She's done the TTT and the loop from Broken Hill/White Cliffs/Tib etc.
I think she mostly liked it for the street cred of a chick kickstarting a bike at rally's etc :)

Due to every one bagging me at Milparinka about buying her a Kickstart only 'cause I am a tightarse, I have just lashed out and bought her a 2005 XR250L with both k/start and an electric leg.
It was too good a bike to pass up, 8,000k, 6 months rego and like new for $4000.

Freelance trouble maker
CJ Burns Esq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:51 PM   #34
JCat OP

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by supamanaint View Post
I have been using my TTR600 for ADV riding for years now, only problem i`ve ever had was finding a place for my walking stick (no shit, stuffed legs).
Even rode it for a month with a broken de-comp cable (that`ll man you up real quick).
Haha, i just replaced the decomp cable on mine.
After a while thinking" am i just getting older and weeker? Or is there another reason this thing is getting harder to start"
New decomp cable, prob fixed.
80 CX500 Brat
JCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:00 PM   #35
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

Oddometer: 2,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijb View Post
Batteries die without warning and I know no adventure riders that carry jumper leads.

I do not have electric start but would in a heartbeat. I would like both.

We carry jumper leads, of a sort- about a metre of thick wire with a male plug on both ends , to fit into the bmw type plugs we've installed just for jump starting the bike. Works a treat , except wen your 2 yo is helping in the shed and decides to put a screwdriver into the plug.....

See the OCR link below- mates BRAND NEW battery died on day 3, it was another 4 days before we could get to a town with a replacement. He could kick start his 640 during the day but no way was it going to kick start in the mornings. Similar story with a mates 660 rallye, although they don't have back up kick starters. He passed on the idea of the plugs just before we left on the ocr trip

ps- I've seen a ktm 300 kcickstart shaft snap, plenty of kickstarters strip the shaft / snap the kicker, and more snapped ankles from kickstarting than I want to remember. I've also had to kick start an it 200 after I broke my left knee... that's a memory I could do without.....Santa is buying the kids an electric start TTR 50 rather than a kick start CRF50
Dr AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:38 PM   #36
trailcutter

Oddometer: 213
h

top dead centre,,,,,,,,, is your friend!
Old 12-24-2010, 01:09 AM   #37
JCat OP

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailcutter View Post
top dead centre,,,,,,,,, is your friend!
No doubt, especially with no decomp otherwise its a no go..
80 CX500 Brat
JCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:15 AM   #38
supamanaint
when in doubt - power out

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCat View Post
No doubt, especially with no decomp otherwise its a no go..

Sturdy boots and a proper kick.

Hehe my mate tried with joggers once , never seen or heard a bloke swear, hop and almost cry all at the same time.
supamanaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:00 AM   #39
jardine
the purple

Oddometer: 450
jas pm sent
jardine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:05 AM   #40
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,590
Cool2

I still ride an XR600R kick-start only bike. Hang on, I'll qualify that, I own and have ridden one, but not riding currently. As some have said, an electric start would be nice for those occasions when it stops halfway up a nasty incline, or in a creek, or when riding with the "stop every 5 minutes" crowd (jeez, doncha hate them wankers?). Otherwise I have been happy to live with it, kick starting is fine by me. The only time it has been a problem was recently when due to injury I couldn't kick start it and had to ride home, and it stalled. Luckily I had PomInOz with me and he managed it for me.
My 640 is the best of both worlds, button and kick starter, and it has come in handy when I accidentally drained the battery.
My GS is electric-only, and it has always bothered me that there is no backup for the button. It's not an easy bike to push at the best of times.

I'll step out on a limb here and state that bikes without kick starters are just plain gay, for pansies, ladyboys, and suchlike. Anyone who rides a bike without a kick starter deserves to be called both Charlie AND Ewen, for being a softcock. Furthermore, they should have to ride at the back, not speak until spoken too, and set everyone else's tents up, then cook and wash up afterwards, before sitting up all night guarding the real men's bikes.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:22 AM   #41
woopwoop
will think for food

Oddometer: 5,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
I still ride an XR600R kick-start only bike. Hang on, I'll qualify that, I own and have ridden one, but not riding currently. As some have said, an electric start would be nice for those occasions when it stops halfway up a nasty incline, or in a creek, or when riding with the "stop every 5 minutes" crowd (jeez, doncha hate them wankers?). Otherwise I have been happy to live with it, kick starting is fine by me. The only time it has been a problem was recently when due to injury I couldn't kick start it and had to ride home, and it stalled. Luckily I had PomInOz with me and he managed it for me.
My 640 is the best of both worlds, button and kick starter, and it has come in handy when I accidentally drained the battery.
My GS is electric-only, and it has always bothered me that there is no backup for the button. It's not an easy bike to push at the best of times.

I'll step out on a limb here and state that bikes without kick starters are just plain gay, for pansies, ladyboys, and suchlike. Anyone who rides a bike without a kick starter deserves to be called both Charlie AND Ewen, for being a softcock. Furthermore, they should have to ride at the back, not speak until spoken too, and set everyone else's tents up, then cook and wash up afterwards, before sitting up all night guarding the real men's bikes.

real men casually mis-spell Ewan?

but that EWEn is a Freudian slip if I ever saw one
woopwoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:37 AM   #42
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by woopwoop View Post
real men casually mis-spell Ewan?

but that EWEn is a Freudian slip if I ever saw one
Real men can't spel for shit.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:42 AM   #43
woopwoop
will think for food

Oddometer: 5,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
Real men can't spel for shit.

tooshay
woopwoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:09 AM   #44
womboin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Who,s old enough to remember the peep hole on the camshaft of xt500,s to show you top dead centre? One kick if you followed the routine.
womboin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:06 PM   #45
Just Dan
Bugger, Burnt toast

Oddometer: 1,873
I have a kick start only Tenere. Needs a bit of polish and she'll be right
Old bikers don't get old by accident.
Just Dan is offline   Reply With Quote