Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2010, 12:50 PM   #76
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
Guys, DID makes tubeless rims, they are called 'easy tubeless' and they work really well. In 17" size they do come in 3.5 and 5.0, maybe 5.5 too.

I am running the 5.0 on my SE and does not leak any air for the last month.
They don't make a 21" front though.

There's no way I'd go down in size in the front.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:55 PM   #77
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
They don't make a 21" front though.

There's no way I'd go down in size in the front.
So, what? Out of the 10 times in my 300,000 kms of biking experience I had a flat, not one time it was on the front and I bet that similar statistics apply to most of us.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:20 PM   #78
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
So, what? Out of the 10 times in my 300,000 kms of biking experience I had a flat, not one time it was on the front and I bet that similar statistics apply to most of us.
Flat tires have nothing to do with it. Where did that come from?

BMW put the 21" front wheel there for a reason. The larger 21" front wheel rolls over uneven terrain much easier and smoother than a 19" or 17". I like to ride my F8 on gravel, fire roads, and trails. The 21 incher is essential.

Put it this way: That smaller the wheel, the harder time it has rolling over things.

The Griz screwed with this post 12-28-2010 at 04:59 PM
Old 12-28-2010, 04:46 PM   #79
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
I had a front flat on a dirtbike once. I wasn't done for the day yet so I went out for another loop at the OHV before loading up for the night.

Come to think of it...I had another front flat on that bike too...couldn't get the bead to seat, so I just hit the trail and the bumps and ruts sorted that right out!
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:01 PM   #80
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Flat tires have nothing to do with it. Where did that come from?

BMW put the 21" front wheel there for a reason. The larger 21" front wheel rolls over uneven terrain much easier and smoother than a 19" or 17". I like to ride my F8 on gravel, fire roads, and trails. The 21 incher is essential.

Put it this way: That smaller the wheel, the harder time it has rolling over things.
This is obvious Griz, but my point is that you need more a tubeless on the back than on the front. And for your bikes, you have to choose between a 3.5-17 and a 5.0-17.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:23 AM   #81
bxr140
Flame Bait

Quote:
my point is that you need more a tubeless on the back than on the front.
Yeah, that's a really good point that I never considered. It's significantly easier to swap a front tube on the trail for a big ADV bike, and it takes significantly less space to carry the spare...

Quote:
And for your bikes, you have to choose between a 3.5-17 and a 5.0-17.
I'd like to point out how stupid I think the 17/21 c
Old 12-29-2010, 05:33 AM   #82
bxr140
Flame Bait

Quote:
my point is that you need more a tubeless on the back than on the front.
Yeah, that's a really good point that I never considered. It's significantly easier to swap a front tube on the trail for a big ADV bike, and it takes significantly less space to carry the spare...

Quote:
And for your bikes, you have to choose between a 3.5-17 and a 5.0-17.
I'd like to point out how stupid I think the 17/21 combo is. Early on I convinced myself that it was a good compromise, but in reality, it's the mullet of wheel sizes. (Technically a reverse mullet I suppose, but I digress). With the meaty 17 out back, it really should have a 19" front. Few, if any people would really notice the ~3/4" smaller radius front tire off road (especially with proper suspension), and the bike would be SOOO much better on the tarmac. Or, with the skinny 21" up front, a narrow 18" in the upskirt would bring much more balance to the force on both surfaces, while really only significantly impacting the on road performance for a couple percentile of riders.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:49 PM   #83
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,461
I spent the summer riding on a tubeless rear 17" and a tubed front 21" that Woody's made up for me. (I have no issues swapping out a front tube, it was always the back that ticked me off.) I had 3 rear flats and one front flat. Man, when you blow that front out at 50+ mph, it's a hell of a ride I tell you... I think the biggest plus of a front tubeless would be the slower deflation, so you can have a bit of a buffer to get yourself slowed down. I'm trying out duct tape for a rim band to see if it helps in the future. (Always help up fine on the dirtbikes.) I'd be happy to never have a front flat at speed again though, knock on wood!
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:59 AM   #84
The Griz
North Forest Rider

I personally love the 21" front, and would never downsize it. The 17" in the rear is a bit weird with a 21" front though. IMO BMW should have used an 18" in the rear like every other enduro bike.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:07 PM   #85
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,319
Quote:
I personally love the 21" front, and would never downsize it. The 17" in the rear is a bit weird with a 21" front though. IMO BMW should have used an 18" in the rear like every other enduro bike.
well Griz,,,you can correct BMW's mistake,,,,,it's an easy swap,,,2.5x18 is the most common set-up because you can run a pair of rim-locks and air down a bit ,,,some folks like the 3.5x18 for lower profile 140/70 x18s

i'd still be swapping the gummi-bear and IMHO too wide 2.15 Behr front for a 1.85 x21 for all around or even a1.6x21 for aggressive dirt activity

then ya can have your cake n eat it too

happy new year
w
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:41 PM   #86
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The F800GS IS NOT an enduro bike
Old 12-30-2010, 03:55 PM   #87
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140 View Post

I'd like to point out how stupid I think the 17/21 combo is. Early on I convinced myself that it was a good compromise, but in reality, it's the mullet of wheel sizes. (Technically a reverse mullet I suppose, but I digress). With the meaty 17 out back, it really should have a 19" front. Few, if any people would really notice the ~3/4" smaller radius front tire off road (especially with proper suspension), and the bike would be SOOO much better on the tarmac. Or, with the skinny 21" up front, a narrow 18" in the upskirt would bring much more balance to the force on both surfaces, while really only significantly impacting the on road performance for a couple percentile of riders.
Well, it depends on the view point. The big adventure bikes, cannot put their power down with anything less than 3.5 rear. For me, 17 or 18 is only a matter of tyre choice. If you are happy with with what you can find for your intended use in 18, then there is no reason to change. Otherwise the handling characteristics are not night and day. The front is a different story.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:24 PM   #88
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
The F800GS IS NOT an enduro bike
Wow. I can't believe no one has ripped into this guy yet with a statement like that!

Regardless of whether or not you consider the F800GS and "enduro" bike or not, it is still better suited with an 18" in the rear.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:54 PM   #89
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,710
Who cares what anyone thinks... Enduro, Adventure, Dual Sport etc etc, does it really matter?
EnderTheX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:10 PM   #90
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Wow. I can't believe no one has ripped into this guy yet with a statement like that!

Regardless of whether or not you consider the F800GS and "enduro" bike or not, it is still better suited with an 18" in the rear.
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote