Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2010, 09:44 AM   #16
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
One thing you can just about count on with scooters and motorcycles. 1.if it has a fuel gauge, it will noot be accurate. And 2.the speedometer will read between 5% and 20% high.My Sportster runs just a couple of mph high.My wife's SYM HD200 reads more like 5mph high.

And by the way, I use every possible excuse to ride my wife's SYM! Sometime I have to get creative. How can I justify riding her HD200 (with a top box/trunk) to the grocery store when a car was available? But I do it ball the time. I may have to one pound of coffee instead of five- but it's worth it. And it gets 75+ mpg.My Toyota Tacoma pickup gets maybe about 22 mpg. The 1992 Ford Explorer that was given to me when my Mother passed away gets like 12!!

Oh well. Any excuse will do.

jon
I have seen other threads where people discussed whether or not the money saved on gas outweighs the cost of the scooter. In my case, the money spent on scooters/motorcycles far outweighs the cost of therapy and anti-depressant drugs I would need if I didn't ride

klaviator screwed with this post 12-31-2010 at 06:02 PM
klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:04 AM   #17
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I have seen other threads where people discussed whether or not the money saved on gas outweighs the cost of the scooter. In my case, the money spent on nscooters/motorcycles far outweighs the cost of therapy and anti-depressant drugs I would need if I didn't ride
My friend, you have nailed it there!! I have said for may years, that riding my motorcycle (or scooter) releaves the daily stress better than (almost) anthing else. After a rough day at work, I look forward to the ride home. To me a car is just a device to get from point A to point B.

jon
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:49 AM   #18
osbo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
HSV and Riding in the 70s

Hello from another X-HSV resident and rider. My experiences are dated..
Living in SE HSV, behind Grissom High. Back in the 70s. This area had tons of trails. We would ride East from the Double Tree neighborhood. Smoke Rise didn't go much further North than Willow Brook, and the trails went from there. You could ride on top of the mountain further South/East than I ever explored I would get far south as Green Mountain, make a few laps around that like lake-park and head home, worring about gas.
Small motorcycles were all over. Kids rode Honda Mini Trails to Whitesburg Jr. High, as you could get a permit @ 14yoa for under a certain CCs.
There was a cool Motorcycle Shop on South Parkway. East side, near the location of a McDonalds today. They carried Hodaka and few similar makes. It disappeared maybe in the late 70s. KC's was the big dealer in town. They were on Govenor's Drive , just East of the Mall ( Home Depo I think is there today). They had Honda and Suzuki back then. Mid 70s another Honda Dealer popped up just off South Parkway,much further North then where KC's ended up before being bought out. They didn't last long.
Thanks for the photos...keep them coming!
Old 12-31-2010, 10:50 AM   #19
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,269
Quote:
I have seen other threads where people discussed whether or not the money saved on gas outweighs the cost of the scooter. In my case, the money spent on nscooters/motorcycles far outweighs the cost of therapy and anti-depressant drugs I would need if I didn't ride
As my riding buddy told me many years ago, you will never see a motorcycle in the parking lot of a psychiatrist's office (unless it belongs to the doctor!)
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:57 PM   #20
Spartandude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Adventure is to be had. We just need to look for it.

Thanks for taking us with.
Spartandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:19 PM   #21
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave View Post
Park that scooter in downtown Huntsville Win, and show us some hidden gems .

That looks like a great scoot!

Thanks for taking us along.

Dave
I have always tended to avoid the city and head out of town. I will try to fight that urge and explore the city itself. Thats one reason I got the scooter. It really is more practical and fun around town.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:21 PM   #22
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartandude View Post
Adventure is to be had. We just need to look for it.

Thanks for taking us with.
I'm trying to take a page from iDave's playbook and do just that.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:28 PM   #23
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by osbo View Post
Hello from another X-HSV resident and rider. My experiences are dated..
Living in SE HSV, behind Grissom High. Back in the 70s. This area had tons of trails. We would ride East from the Double Tree neighborhood. Smoke Rise didn't go much further North than Willow Brook, and the trails went from there. You could ride on top of the mountain further South/East than I ever explored I would get far south as Green Mountain, make a few laps around that like lake-park and head home, worring about gas.
Small motorcycles were all over. Kids rode Honda Mini Trails to Whitesburg Jr. High, as you could get a permit @ 14yoa for under a certain CCs.
There was a cool Motorcycle Shop on South Parkway. East side, near the location of a McDonalds today. They carried Hodaka and few similar makes. It disappeared maybe in the late 70s. KC's was the big dealer in town. They were on Govenor's Drive , just East of the Mall ( Home Depo I think is there today). They had Honda and Suzuki back then. Mid 70s another Honda Dealer popped up just off South Parkway,much further North then where KC's ended up before being bought out. They didn't last long.
Thanks for the photos...keep them coming!
Anything or place in particular you would like me to get a picture of ?

Old 12-31-2010, 05:31 PM   #24
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
My friend, you have nailed it there!! I have said for may years, that riding my motorcycle (or scooter) releaves the daily stress better than (almost) anthing else. After a rough day at work, I look forward to the ride home. To me a car is just a device to get from point A to point B.

jon
You are absolutely right. It is something however, that non-riders will never understand.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:33 PM   #25
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soboy View Post
As my riding buddy told me many years ago, you will never see a motorcycle in the parking lot of a psychiatrist's office (unless it belongs to the doctor!)
Soboy, we need to get together sometime when it's warmer and run the scoots through the twisties around Suches....purely in the interest of our mental health of course.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:01 AM   #26
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,269
Quote:
Soboy, we need to get together sometime when it's warmer and run the scoots through the twisties around Suches....purely in the interest of our mental health of course.
That sounds like a great idea, klaviator!
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:21 AM   #27
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,736
Quote:
Since I love riding fast on curvy roads - the tighter the curves the better, ----.

So far I really like the way the Super 8 handles. It has fairly wide 14" tires and it feels like a small sport bike. .
This should become a VERY interesting thread----.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:41 AM   #28
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
A recent job transfer has changed my home away from home from Columbus, Ga to the Rocket City.
I worked for a couple of weeks in Decatur last summer and HIGHLY suggest the museum. It's pretty much corporate sponsored, but some of the things you see in there will blow the tech savvy guy away! Where else can you see a full size Saturn V horizontal with the stages exposed? Or walk up to a SR-71, or look at a Saturn Gyroscope?

Anyway, the BBQ was a big draw for me. We must have tried every joint within 30 miles of Decatur. I highly suggest 'the Chuckwagon' and 'the Greenbriar' if the rule of 'small, dumpy, and non-chain' are the the keys to good BBQ.

The cycle shop near Decatur looked pretty good, but I never got a chance to step in there. I would also suggest 'Bama gun and pawn' if you want to see where all the stolen tools end up in your area...and a scary group of individuals.

I enjoyed the time I spent down there and will be doing more work in Decatur sometime around June-July.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #29
DudeClone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 959
Congrats on the S8!

i remember your thread in the Battle Scooters forum about your choices and buying experience. you seemed a bit on the fence about a few things scooter related, but as it turns out....well....you seem really happy with the scooter and your choice!

its nice when things work out like that, and even nicer when a long time motorcyclist discovers the joys and practicality of scootering

oh, and the awesomeness of a good deal on a good Kymco scoot
Old 01-02-2011, 02:53 PM   #30
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesesso View Post
This should become a VERY interesting thread----.
I'll do my best to make it interesting. Here is a link to an interesting article in Cycle World on the Super 8: http://www.cycleworld.com/motorcycle...0_-_first_ride