Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2010, 04:09 AM   #91
longslowdistance
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Thanks for the pics Rocknrog. Glad you had some great weather.
Humble suggestion: with that bike, next time you are down here, head off the parkway onto any random crossing gravel road you encounter. I don't know if there are good gpx files to guide you on these roads, but the national geographic trails illustrated maps are GREAT.
http://www.natgeomaps.com/ti_virginia
I'm a new rider with an F650gs twin, and I have no troubles riding these roads skill-wise. No traffic, great scenery - waterfalls, creeks, vistas, wildlife, campsites, and close to great little restaurants in the valleys.
longslowdistance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:48 PM   #92
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
Thx flrider1..If you finish it post the link, I'd love to read it.
I am thinking about taking the auto train from va to florida in Feb and riding down to key west and basically just enjoy warmer weather for a week. Call it the I Hate Winter Tour. An auto train tips to pass on?
The process for the train was very simple and they are very efficient. I would watch them tie the bike down, kept me from worrying about it. Keep in mind that you will need to haul onto the train everything thats not locked up. We had everything in three bags inside the panniers and top case so it was easy, but the riding gear takes up a lot of room. Locked my helmet in the top case but had to cart hers on the train. Spring for at least the roomette, coach would have sucked I think. It has two seats that face each other then they fold down to into a bunk with a drop down bunk in the overhead. They spoil ya pretty good, each car has an attendant, they turn down the bed and everything for ya. Meals were awesome. It is well worth the money and for the limited time we had it allowed us a lot more time to play up in the mountains. Basically covered overnight what would have taken almost three days to ride. The link below, No planes, 1 Train, 2up, is the start of the RR. Couple of pics from the train are there. Give me a shout, PM or email if you head this way. You can't ride to Key West without being within 3 miles of my house!!! I am 3 miles east of the intersection of Palm Drive and US-1 when you come down off the Florida Turnpike. Its the last stop light before you leave mainland Florida and head into the Keys. We are thinking about an early February trip to Key West ourselves. We go very regularly!!
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:50 PM   #93
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by longslowdistance View Post
Thanks for the pics Rocknrog. Glad you had some great weather.
Humble suggestion: with that bike, next time you are down here, head off the parkway onto any random crossing gravel road you encounter. I don't know if there are good gpx files to guide you on these roads, but the national geographic trails illustrated maps are GREAT.
http://www.natgeomaps.com/ti_virginia
I'm a new rider with an F650gs twin, and I have no troubles riding these roads skill-wise. No traffic, great scenery - waterfalls, creeks, vistas, wildlife, campsites, and close to great little restaurants in the valleys.
+1 on this. Jump off on the fire roads, they are good to ride even two up. Looks of cool things that not everyone gets to see on the standard BRP ride!!
Old 12-24-2010, 08:26 AM   #94
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,759
Happy Holidays

I just wanted to wish all of you a Very Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year!!! Ride safe and ride often.

Roger
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:28 PM   #95
Riff
Legend - In my Mind

Oddometer: 307
Thanks Rog still riding along, and enjoying it. Merry Christmas to you to. Many Happy rides in the upcoming New Year. Riff
Old 12-24-2010, 09:50 PM   #96
10-95
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Awesome pics!

I did that area in '05. Hope to ride it again some day but there's so many places in the US to see!
10-95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:32 PM   #97
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-95 View Post
Awesome pics!

I did that area in '05. Hope to ride it again some day but there's so many places in the US to see!
Yes there are. I would like to make it out West to the see the rockies..Yellowstone etc,,,,What's nice about the BRP is that its close enough that I can do it in a week or less if needed. Given the same weather conditions, I would do it again today if I could. Looking at the trip pics kind of makes me feel homesick.

rockinrog screwed with this post 12-27-2010 at 05:38 PM
Old 12-27-2010, 06:43 PM   #98
littlelionmonster
Rerutnevda ylranG

Oddometer: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reconstructed View Post
This is part of the big ride I am planning. After I get the kids out of college.

Too bad my oldest is four....
I'm in the same boat as you, but I managed to sign myself up for a conference in Charlotte NC next April and plan leaving a little early and riding the whole BRP, maybe hit the Dragon and the Cherola Skyway, then head east.

I might hit some weather in April, but I'll risk it.

I think my better half is getting a little pissed with my trip planning and her not being able to go, but maybe in 17 years we'll do the trip with our matching jetpacks.
littlelionmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:46 PM   #99
Cliff-77
Lost Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,067
Good RR.

Really enjoyed looking at ur pics.i've riden the BRP a few times over the yrs.but took very few pics.The mill pic.is my favorite.I hope to be in that area again soon.
IBA#54495 Patriotism is supporting your country all the time,and your government when it deserves it.Mark Twain.
Cliff-77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:18 AM   #100
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff-77 View Post
Really enjoyed looking at ur pics.i've riden the BRP a few times over the yrs.but took very few pics.The mill pic.is my favorite.I hope to be in that area again soon.
They claim the mill is the most photographed thing on the prkwy. They even have an example there where another state used it on a tourist postcard claiming it for their own.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:02 PM   #101
Yamifj1200
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Camping along the BRP

I'd also like to recomend both Willville motorcycle campground on rt.58 just west of Meadows of Dan Va. and the Blue Ridge motorcycle campground off of rt.276 in NC as great places to camp when riding the Blue Ridge Parkway. They are run by great folks who cater to motorcycle riders and both are very great places to relax after the days ride. I enjoy camping with other riders and hearing the stories that are shared around the fire at night.

I think KOA's have priced themselves way too high for what you get for the money. 30+ dollars a night for a spot of grass... really..

Eric M
Yamifj1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:05 PM   #102
Yamifj1200
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
They claim the mill is the most photographed thing on the prkwy. .

I'd have to say thats true...

Eric M
Yamifj1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:49 PM   #103
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

A good photo op as well as a nice place to take a break and relax a little. I wanted to have breakfast in the restaurant but people were lined up waiting on a table so back on the road for me.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:19 AM   #104
algby
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Mount Mitchell

I have ridden the entire BRP twice. The last trip was the best. My favorite part was camping on Mount Mitchell. It is the highest point east of the Mississippi. Arrived there after dark and work up with the sunrise. Awesome!
algby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #105
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelionmonster View Post
I'm in the same boat as you, but I managed to sign myself up for a conference in Charlotte NC next April and plan leaving a little early and riding the whole BRP, maybe hit the Dragon and the Cherola Skyway, then head east.

I might hit some weather in April, but I'll risk it.

I think my better half is getting a little pissed with my trip planning and her not being able to go, but maybe in 17 years we'll do the trip with our matching jetpacks.
I would highly recommend that if you are going all the way down to Cherokee and plan to do the Dragon and then a back and forth on the Cherahola that you consider taking SR28 for your ride out of the area. 28 ends right at Deals Gap, it meets up with US129 there. Or you can catch it off US 74 just SW of the Cherokee/Bryson City area. Ride it down through Franklin, Highlands, Walhalla and Seneca and back to I-85 then you can super slab back up to Charlotte. It is an awesome ride. The road is as much fun as the Dragon and it less crowded with many scenic stops along the way. Check out my RR below, BMW School Trip, there are a bunch of pics from along SR 28. You will be very happy with the route.

Enjoy and ride safe still kinda cool up in the mountains in April.