ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2005, 08:39 AM   #1
ddlewis OP
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,556
wee-strom

Sold my FJ last night and inked the deal on an 04 DL650 this morning. The 650 has 1k miles and is like new. $5k.

I took it for a little ride.. Very light feeling and the riding position is perfect! Didn't get to see how well it will haul my enourmous carcass down the slab, but did get it up to 65 on a backroad and it was totally smooth and plenty of power. Looking forward to putting down some miles and doing some exploring.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 11:18 AM   #2
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Oddometer: 1,281
Congrats on the Strom, you'll like it. Do yourself a favor and get a Fenda Extenda to keep debris out of the oil cooler. SW Motech centerstand is a nice improvement also, bike is VERY easy to place on the stand. In 7,000 miles I never had any issues with my weeStrom, just sold it because I wanted something different.

Ted
OldnoGPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 07:22 PM   #3
Prairie Dog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 748
Thumpy,

Just had a chance to ride a wee-strom today. Quite a nice bike. It only had 2.1 miles on it when I started out, so I didn't do any serious throttle cranking on it. I respect motors and like to give them a chance to break in properly.

However, I did ride it for about 70 miles and it was hard to leave at the dealership. While it is a great bike, I doesn't do anything better than my current crop of motorcycles. And they are all paid for.

Besides, I'm sure that if I brought another one home that both it and I would be in deep trouble. My wife is a great person, but even great people will tolerate only so much. Know what I mean?

I am one of those "Security Squad Sized" people and it hauled me around without a bit of complaint. I think you'll love it!

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

'08 KLE 650-A8F
'06 DL-1000 K6
'06 KLX 331 H6
'04 KLR 650 A18
'92 EX500 - one day a KLEX500?
'74 Honda CB350F - project bike

"You'll never see a motorcycle parked in front of a Psychiatrist's office!"
Prairie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 09:11 AM   #4
ddlewis OP
squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldnoGPS
Congrats on the Strom, you'll like it. Do yourself a favor and get a Fenda Extenda to keep debris out of the oil cooler. SW Motech centerstand is a nice improvement also, bike is VERY easy to place on the stand. In 7,000 miles I never had any issues with my weeStrom, just sold it because I wanted something different. Ted
Me too. I'm buying it because I want to try something different. I recall when yours was for sale. I was interested then, but not ready. Had to free up garage space first.

I plan on adding a bash plate and racks for my givi bags first thing. I've never had a street bike w/o a center stand. I'll see if I can live without it first. I'll check on the fenda extenda.. althought it sounds like something I might fab up in the garage.

thanks.
dan.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:17 AM   #5
RT jim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpy
Sold my FJ last night and inked the deal on an 04 DL650 this morning. The 650 has 1k miles and is like new. $5k.

I took it for a little ride.. Very light feeling and the riding position is perfect! Didn't get to see how well it will haul my enourmous carcass down the slab, but did get it up to 65 on a backroad and it was totally smooth and plenty of power. Looking forward to putting down some miles and doing some exploring.
MSRP Is only $4,999 With out wheelin dealing. Why is used same price?
RT jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 11:02 AM   #6
Johnny Drunkard
Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 6,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT jim
MSRP Is only $4,999 With out wheelin dealing. Why is used same price?

Where? MSRP in the US is $6699, here in WA that's ~$7800 out the door...

Oh, and congrats thumpy. You'll love this bike. People often underestimate the wee. Mmmmmaaahaahaahaa...

BTW, the center stand switch is much more vulnerable then the oil filter or cooler. Don't ask me how I know...

Johnny

Johnny Drunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 11:58 AM   #7
ddlewis OP
squirrel

"MSRP Is only $4,999 With out wheelin dealing"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drunkard
Where? MSRP in the US is $6699, here in WA that's ~$7800 out the door.....
Yeah, what J.D. said. I couldn't get any local dealers to come but a smidge off msrp. They must be selling. In cycle trader there's a place in OH advertising $5700 new. Likely they tack on B.S. charges to that price. And even then I'd have to ship it or fly out and ride it home.. Either way it would still easily end up costing well > 6000 w/ expenses, etc. Not to mention my time. And I don't know if this dealer is even on the up and up. Plus I wouldn't have gotten to do the test ride/tire kicking thing.

I'm ok w/ the deal I got.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:58 AM   #8
not2fast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
The poster for the $4999 doesn't know his Suzuki products. That's the price for the DR650 not a DL650. If DLs sold for $4999 the dealers would have to order them by the dozen!!

Terry
99 DR650
02 DL1000
Old 05-10-2005, 07:23 PM   #9
gmcsierra
STROM DOG

Oddometer: 58
I got my 650 for 6000 otd in Michigan.
gmcsierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 08:02 PM   #10
harpoon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,734
GOOD, lets go back to Crabtree Falls.... I was on on a 650 when we were there last and I am sure you will do fine

Seriously though, you need to schedule a trip over here for some twisties and FS roads on her.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:13 AM   #11
rikkitik
More toys than time!

Oddometer: 52
Greetings,

MSRP for the Wee-Strom is definitely $6599.00. There is a dealer in north Alabama advertising them for $5899.00. Mine went out the door for $6123.00.

Of course, that just means another 1K or better for crash bars, centerstand, belly plate, windshield, Heat Troller for the vest, handguards, gel seat, cross bar for the GPS. What did I leave out?

Rick Bailey

08 Honda Goldwing 1800 Level 3
IBA # 27763
Tuscaloosa, AL
rikkitik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 07:52 AM   #12
ddlewis OP
squirrel

Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon
GOOD, lets go back to Crabtree Falls.... I was on on a 650 when we were there last and I am sure you will do fine
I'll be on a 650 next time, but it won't be a DL. I upgraded the 'ol xr600 to an XR650R over the winter. I just met a guy here in Richmond who claims to know of a buttload of great singletrack trails in the GWNF including more stuff around Crabtree that lead all the way to Buena Vista. We're supposed to get together after Memorial Day, I'll give you a heads up.

Quote:
Seriously though, you need to schedule a trip over here for some twisties and FS roads on her.
I'm headed for Boone NC this week for the FJ1200 rally on the weestrom.. I absolutely go faster down a twisty road on this bike than I ever could on the FJ. Expect to surprise to big bad 1200's