User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
Blue_Meanie OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
New to the Airhead world

And hell, motorcycles in general. Picked up my first bike, a 76 R75/6, from a auto shop a couple of months ago. It was running when I purchased it and because of schooling, it was put into storage after they finished syncing the carbs and some other stuff.

I finally was able to get it to my place and the engine won't start. After going through 2 batteries (starter sounded lethargic), checking to see if fuel was getting to the float bowl (which it was and I poured it back into the tank), and checking the air filter, after a few tries it finally turned over. Though it took a few more times to actually keep running after turning over. My question is, I'm no master mechanic, but I really didn't do anything. So was it just a case of it just sitting for a few months?

And here's a pic of side bike:
Blue_Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
dino1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
how old was the gas? Old gas is no bueno...

And before an oldtimer says it, fill out your profile so we know where to come get the bike when you decide to cafe it......

Nice bike btw...
Old 12-19-2010, 08:12 PM   #3
welder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,509
I no nothing about bmw's but first things first. Is there gas in it? is the gas turned on? is the kill switch in the run position? is your choke mechanism working? Is there spark at the grounded plugs? isthere decent compression? Is the bike timed right ? are the valves within spec? Is there fuel getting to the cylinders? Is your main fuse intact and conducting electricity? It sounds like your carbs need a good cleaning. That should keep you busy for awhile. Good luck, Fergie
Old 12-20-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
Blue_Meanie OP
n00b

The gas was only about 3 or 4 days old. Also should of put in there that I was able to get it running and rode it around the parking lot for a good bit.

Don't think I'll cafe it, doesn't look to comfortable.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
Welcome to the old school world newb and beatles fan.

You'll have a steep learning curve to get it sorted out, but you'll love it.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:50 AM   #6
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
Yeah- where are you and what was the temps at the time?
These bikes take LOTS of juice out of the battery- keep it on a tender and if it's not a sealed battery, keep track of the fluid level. Read that a couple of times.
When you push the button, pull the clutch lever so you're not dragging the transmission along for the ride. Also, after a couple of tries, you should take the plugs out and have a look. If the alleged gas has wet them down, you can try cleaning them, but a lot of times the plugs are shot once they wet out. Today's gas SUCKS.
I use 80% Sta-bil mixed with 20% Marvel Mystery Oil in gas that's going to sit for more than a couple of weeks. 2 ounces per tank, and run it into the carbs before turning the gas off a block or 2 before parking (to run the gas out). Gas sitting in the carbs most likely will clog a jet.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:05 AM   #7
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,866
nice bike; great start.

smart charger/battery tender is highly recommended.

they're easier to wake when not hibernating.
Renner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:25 PM   #8
rtw02
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Hi Blue,
Very nice looking bike.
But as you are finding out Old Beemers are kind of fussy.
They don't like being left alone and do wierd shit when they are.
I always have to choke mine to start it, and if left for more than a month, it is usually not a push the button and go show.
Syncing the carbs and tuning them up is a little more involved than most bikes...Has the guy who tuned it up worked on BMW motorcycles before? That could be part of your trouble.
Charge up the battery, ride it every day, and see if it gives you any more trouble.
Let us know how its going, and then we can tell you all kinds of freightening and useless stuff about your beautiful bike.
rtw02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:23 PM   #9
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,866
+1 on the choke aka enrichener use.
Unless the engine is warm I use the enrichner to start with maybe slight throttle twisting (though technically this is unnecessary) to help it along. Once running the 'choke' lever can be returned to the normal operating position almost immediately. I believe this is common practice.

Difficult to say what your bike's issue is (if any) due to the number of variables possible. Is the ignition bone-stock, eg. points or aftermarket breakerless ignition... right plugs, good compression and valve lash settings, etc. Maybe the old starter is worn... is it the original starter motor? Could be simply bad electrical ground.

Good thing that lots of help is readily available through various conduits, such as:
http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/techindex.htm
http://www.airheads.org/content/category/3/77/98/
http://www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/airheads/index.shtml

if you want to view the illustrated parts catalog (which is very handy for 'exploded' views) follow the below listed link, click enter to get past the first page, then enter yout /6's seven digit serial number in the window provided.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/

congrats again on the bike, looking good and a favorite among the cognoscenti (aka kool-aid drinkers ).
Renner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:40 PM   #10
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,650
The bike looks great!! Surprisingly clean for that vintage, which is apparently one of the favourite years/models of many in airhead-land.

Once you take the windshield and sissy bar off, it'll look like a normal airhead again.

Not surprising to me at all that it was very, very cold blooded after sitting for a prolonged period. My airheads have all done that. I don't know why that is, but it seems that the longer they sit, the harder they are to start.

Above all other things, airheads like to be ridden regularly (and tended regularly as well).

Welcome!

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:03 PM   #11
subagon
Hopelessly lost

Oddometer: 568
Find and join your local "Airheads" chapter. A great group dedicated to keeping these old bike going. Many local chapters hold tech days to teach you how to fix and maintain your old airhead. I've PM'ed (private message) you the name and email addres of the NC leader. They should be able to tell you about any upcoming events.
subagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:48 PM   #12
Blue_Meanie OP
n00b

Thanks for all the replies. Some of the sites are new to me and one is definitely a favorite (realoem). Got to stretch her legs out today after coming back off of vacation and was it a blast. Can't wait to get more comfortable with it and take some mini road-trips on it.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #13
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,146
Replace all fuel lines = 10 bux

Remove tank. Remove petcocks. Drain and clean.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote