ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 12:08 AM   #16
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...
 
Garthe's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Arizona
Oddometer: 4,345
I want to get a 1991 or 92 in about 6 months...Please don't take this the wrong way...

Isn't that a lot ($ 1,500) to spend on a XR 600 R that looks like that and you have to tear it apart and rebuild it from the ground up.

Good luck with the project. Jim
__________________
2007 XR650R
2001 Montessa 315R
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:39 AM   #17
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Columbus, GA
Oddometer: 4,151
nice bike and rebuild!

Nice bike man!

Chump change if you ask me....the bikes are worth it...you live in a country where you don't have to pay import duties, freight, fees, etc..etc...and have access to so much.

People all over the world spend much more than that just to get these old xrs RUNNING.

Enjoy the rebuild, and enjoy and ride the bike to the ground after....

Im on my second re-rebuild after a nice lady decided to ram me on a major street down here.

To see the ups and downs of a rebuild thread of an xr600 check out my thread...the xr600 budget/maybe one.,

Take care and quick question? is that an ims or clarke tank? I like the shape but cant make out the gallons...

Looks like 5 gallons...

Thanks,
Christian
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:08 AM   #18
mrazekan
Beastly Adventurer
 
mrazekan's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: DT Vancouver. The other one...
Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe View Post
I want to get a 1991 or 92 in about 6 months...Please don't take this the wrong way...

Isn't that a lot ($ 1,500) to spend on a XR 600 R that looks like that and you have to tear it apart and rebuild it from the ground up.

Good luck with the project. Jim
BHB didn't have too rebuild it, he wanted to rebuild it. I rode that bile a bit and was quite impressed. But I understand the desire to know that every nut and bolt has been looked at.

Stay well away from the rattle can. Powder coat it, or get it sprayed at a shop. You've gone through the trouble of tearing thing apart to the frame, get it finished properly.

I powder coated my XR650L frame and love it. Just be sure you put sacrificial bolts through all the threads you care about. Also, rubber plugs in all the holes you care about. Even with all that prep, you'll get blasting media in the down tube. Just flush it out with oil, mineral spirits, and atone or alcohol. Then change he oil 3 to 5 times within the first week.

Either with paint or powder, save yourself some scratch by blasting it yourself.

On the carb, there were some minor netting issues but it ran well. It started on first kick when warm, and would loft the front wheel at will. I'd say leave it and keep your eyes open for a pumped. Then you'll have some serious tuning headaches :o)

Have fun dude!
__________________
West/Wet, what the fuckx. Just different waypoints on the GPS for the same juvinile behaviors! -- Hells Alien
mrazekan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:05 AM   #19
Brauhausbier OP
Focused
 
Brauhausbier's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazekan View Post
BHB didn't have too rebuild it, he wanted to rebuild it. I rode that bile a bit and was quite impressed. But I understand the desire to know that every nut and bolt has been looked at.

Stay well away from the rattle can. Powder coat it, or get it sprayed at a shop. You've gone through the trouble of tearing thing apart to the frame, get it finished properly.

I powder coated my XR650L frame and love it. Just be sure you put sacrificial bolts through all the threads you care about. Also, rubber plugs in all the holes you care about. Even with all that prep, you'll get blasting media in the down tube. Just flush it out with oil, mineral spirits, and atone or alcohol. Then change he oil 3 to 5 times within the first week.

Either with paint or powder, save yourself some scratch by blasting it yourself.

On the carb, there were some minor netting issues but it ran well. It started on first kick when warm, and would loft the front wheel at will. I'd say leave it and keep your eyes open for a pumped. Then you'll have some serious tuning headaches :o)

Have fun dude!
Thanks Hugo! Where did you get your XL frame powdercoated? Locally? I'd be interested to hear how you sandblasted the frame yourself too. Thx!
Brauhausbier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:07 AM   #20
Brauhausbier OP
Focused
 
Brauhausbier's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
Nice bike man!

Take care and quick question? is that an ims or clarke tank? I like the shape but cant make out the gallons...

Looks like 5 gallons...

Thanks,
Christian
Thanks Christian! I've been following your build thread too! Nice work!

I'm not sure what brand this tank is. I'll let you know when I get back in the garage again. It's pretty yellowed and I'm not sure if I will keep it or get a new one? I'll see if I can clean it up.
Brauhausbier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:16 AM   #21
Luke
GPoET&P
 
Luke's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Idiotville, OR
Oddometer: 4,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe View Post
I want to get a 1991 or 92 in about 6 months...Please don't take this the wrong way...

Isn't that a lot ($ 1,500) to spend on a XR 600 R that looks like that and you have to tear it apart and rebuild it from the ground up.

Good luck with the project. Jim

I think I get your point and so will add that local prices for plated dirt bikes vary quite a bit with location. A $1500 bike here might be $2000 in Southern California and $1000 in Idaho. It's as much about DMV rules as about honest supply and demand.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #22
Brauhausbier OP
Focused
 
Brauhausbier's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe View Post
I want to get a 1991 or 92 in about 6 months...Please don't take this the wrong way...

Isn't that a lot ($ 1,500) to spend on a XR 600 R that looks like that and you have to tear it apart and rebuild it from the ground up.

Good luck with the project. Jim

I thought the price was fair considering the condition, extra parts, and that all important title and license plate. You could find cheaper for sure, but maybe not with the BD kit, aftermarket parts, or title and plate. I've been thinking about a build project for a long time and didn't want to shell out another $3-4K for a barely used DRZ, WR, or something simmilar. These XR's are great bikes for riding here in Oregon, and I know this XR will last a long, long time! The ledgenary reliability is a big reason I picked an XR600 project. And I wanted more HP than my 04' DRZ had + Low end gunt -
Brauhausbier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #23
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,100
Harbor Freight sells a media blasting kit if you have a compressor. If yer only gonna use it 1x, then get the cheap one. If yer making a habit outta blasting stuff, get something nicer.

Someone with more experience in these things'll come along and call me a 'tard here soon, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:36 AM   #24
Brauhausbier OP
Focused
 
Brauhausbier's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Harbor Freight sells a media blasting kit if you have a compressor. If yer only gonna use it 1x, then get the cheap one. If yer making a habit outta blasting stuff, get something nicer.

Someone with more experience in these things'll come along and call me a 'tard here soon, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt

M
Thanks Gummee! There is a Harbor Frieght just minutes from our home! I'll check that out this weekend! Thank you!
Brauhausbier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:20 AM   #25
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brauhausbier View Post
Thanks Gummee! There is a Harbor Frieght just minutes from our home! I'll check that out this weekend! Thank you!
Look for coupons first!

They usually send em out/post em up. May as well join the ranks of us cheep bastages so you can spend more on yer XR!

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:40 AM   #26
AltRoute
AltRoute
 
AltRoute's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: west side PA
Oddometer: 281
Coupon . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Look for coupons first!

They usually send em out/post em up. May as well join the ranks of us cheep bastages so you can spend more on yer XR!

M


Here is one from yesterday
http://widgets.harborfreight.com/wswidgets/common/displayCoupon.do?hdr=mag&week=0111&campaign=a_retail&page=0111a_retail.html&cust=99999999999&keycode=0000

They have a sand blaster - just can't see the frame going in there

and as usual - lots more stuff you need but will never use . . . .
AltRoute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:57 AM   #27
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t
 
Blakebird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Parker, CO
Oddometer: 15,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brauhausbier View Post
I thought the price was fair considering the condition, extra parts, and that all important title and license plate. You could find cheaper for sure, but maybe not with the BD kit, aftermarket parts, or title and plate.
The plate is worth a couple hundred right off the bat, and you'll spend about five bills on a Baja Designs kit. There are cheaper kits and other ways to go, depending on your state's laws....but that was a fair price.

I paid $1350 for the '92 that was the basis of my build thread, and the best thing it had going for it was being mechanically sound.

Getting some of the other stuff up front takes the sting out of building a $6,000 example of a $1500 bike
__________________
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #28
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer
 
MortimerSickle's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
Oddometer: 12,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Look for coupons first!

They usually send em out/post em up. May as well join the ranks of us cheep bastages so you can spend more on yer XR!

M
+1 Never pay full price at HF unless it is something that you just can't wait 2 weeks for. Almost everything they have goes on sale regularly, and you can use a 20% off coupon on the sale price. (That is if the sale price is not a coupon itself. You can't use two coupons on the same item.)

If you need a 20% coupon, ask me next time you see me. I always have at least a half dozen in my wallet.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...ory=&q=blaster



.
__________________


I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:54 AM   #29
Brauhausbier OP
Focused
 
Brauhausbier's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post



There are two kinds of Mikuni TM carburetors. One type meant for two strokes, and another kind meant for four strokes. You've got a two-stroke one. It looks like different companies sell both for the XR600. Maybe that's the reason people have so much trouble tuning them. For the XR400, every company I've seen sells the four stroke version and people all love it (unless they care about fuel economy )



Oh, and you might look into getting the frame powdercoated instead of painted. OregonCoast jsut got his SL frame and some other parts powdercoated by someone in Tillamook and they look fantastic.
Luke! You rule! Thanks so much for pointing out that the Mikuni on my XR is the two stroke model TMX38!

Anyone looking for a TMX38 + Promotion Vortex Throttle + cables and housing? I'll get this FS on the Fleamarket soon.

I found a good powdercoating shop in SE PDX.www.classactpp.com Quote I have here is $200-275. Not bad.

Luckily I scored a complete throttle, housing, and cables off a 93' XR600 from Ebay this morning which looks in good shape! Luckily I still have the OE carb in the parts box (but not the OE throttle).

No time to work on the XR this weekend. Heading up to Mt Hood for some sking with a few inmates
Brauhausbier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:34 PM   #30
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 11,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brauhausbier View Post

Quote I have here is $200-275. Not bad.


Boy, that's about $60.00 to $135.00 more than the guy near me charges for an XR frame and bits. Side stand, peg mount, etc.
__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014