Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2010, 09:54 PM   #31
Rogdog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Excellent, keep it coming... very funny description, love the bit about the lady in the restaurant and the dog/blood/unidentifiable sausage. Been there done that, haven't died yet, but the taste is still in my mouth. The beauty of this type of travel, you have no choice but to dive in and eat or sleep wherever you can. Half of the time it turns out to be the most fun ever, the other half... well either way they are unforgettable memories!
Rogdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:29 AM   #32
Mullet5 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribsauce225
My friend and I are trying to budget a trip like this. What is a good estimate at a per day cost. I plan on buying the bike and going for at least 3 months to the Big 4 (buy minsk in Vietnam, hit Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, and back), so I'll probably be staying a couple of days or longer in a lot of places instead of riding every day. We were guessing 30-35. I went to Thailand/Cambodia in 2006 and taking out internal flights I only spent about 25 a day, so I'm thinking 35 might be the max. I could be way off though, I don't know.
If you budget for $35 a day that should more than cover gas, food, and lodging. If I am remembering things correctly we could go 200km on a full tank, which was I think 10 liters.

Damn I need to write some more...
'75 XS650, '77 KE100, 19xx Minsk, '01 F650GS Dakar, '77 Scirocco, '84 Jetta GLI 16v, '88 GLI 16v, '07 Sprinter CDI, '08 Sloan Kwik Load, 85 245Ti, '69 Westfalia, '91 Range Rover Classic, '04 VW Phaeton, '80 242DL, '74 Alfa Romeo Spider, '84 K30, and probably some others that I can't remember right now.
I probably hate you.
Mullet5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:48 PM   #33
desert rider
SWL

Oddometer: 524
Blood sausage yum yum , looks similar to black pudding you get back in Ireland , just gotta make sure its nice and crispy and not soft and mushy, but tastes good, looking forward to having some for tradional Irish xmas breakfast here in oz

Cool ride guys , im off to Laos in a few weeks for a three week ride, your report is giving me ichy feet, keep it coming.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:18 PM   #34
Mullet5 OP
Adventurer

An update!

Wow, 4 months to write a new entry... I suck at this.

Anyway, continuing down the road that day, we crossed into Laos. The border crossing was an interesting experience. First of all, we were entering Laos at a very back-woods crossing, it seemed to be more of a trucker's route than a place where slightly confused tourists go.

First we had to check out of Vietnam, which was pretty straight forward, then we had to ride about a quarter mile to the Laos border crossing. This was a bit difficult, as the quarter mile consisted mostly of a very, very rutted, nasty dirt road that went up a very steep hill. Larisa had her first fall of the trip here. I don't know if I mentioned it in any previous entries, but Larisa had never ridden a motorcycle until about 4 months before the trip, so trying to get an overloaded, underpowered 2-stroke up a steep, rutted dirt road was not an easy thing for her. Once we got all three bikes up the hill, we went into the office and filled out all of the paperwork, at which point the man behind the desk told us that or 30 day visas were now 10 day visas. Not exactly sure why, maybe they didn't want Minsks in their country for any longer than absolutely necessary...

agh, its bedtime again. More tomorrow.
'75 XS650, '77 KE100, 19xx Minsk, '01 F650GS Dakar, '77 Scirocco, '84 Jetta GLI 16v, '88 GLI 16v, '07 Sprinter CDI, '08 Sloan Kwik Load, 85 245Ti, '69 Westfalia, '91 Range Rover Classic, '04 VW Phaeton, '80 242DL, '74 Alfa Romeo Spider, '84 K30, and probably some others that I can't remember right now.
I probably hate you.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:46 AM   #35
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Oddometer: 5,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullet5 View Post
Wow, 4 months to write a new entry... I suck at this.

No, not really. When you do get around to it the story is good. Dragging it out is preferable to dumping the whole story into three posts IMO.

Treadless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:25 AM   #36
kz1000ken
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Im jealous.. Id like to take this trip myself.. Tomorrow.. can I just quit now and go? my bags are packed!
-Ken

Kenneth L Springhetti
2000 ZRX1100
1998 R1100RT
1983 R80RT

http://www.kenspring.com/tracking/motorcycle

kz1000ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:28 AM   #37
Mullet5 OP
Adventurer

Thanks You guys always seem to keep me going!
I probably hate you.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:34 AM   #38
bmwhd
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
I swear I have a picture of this guy riding through Beijing last year. He really gets around with those balloons!

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:22 PM   #39
Mullet5 OP
Adventurer

Into Laos!

Once through the border (with our new 10 day visas), we headed on up the road, which was a very steep, but very well paved section of twisty road. I kept day dreaming about coming back in a sports car or on a fun bike... I had lots of time to day dream because I weigh 185lbs, my backpack weighed 100lbs, and my motorcycle had maybe 6hp. At sea level. In 1974. So I was not moving briskly. Think "jogging pace" and you've pretty much got the idea. To make matters worse, the other two Minsks had a definite horsepower advantage on mine. At first they were just a bit ahead of me, but after 15 or 20 minutes of relentless climbing, I couldn't even see them any more, plus I think my bike got slower once it got good and hot (overheated).

So it goes without saying that the first flat section of road that I saw, I thought "I'd better try to make up for some lost time!" Friends too far ahead to see, just heading into a small village of grass huts, and perhaps 1/8th mile of flat straight road ahead of me, I wound out first, second, then third gear, reaching speeds upwards of 30 mph! I was probably most of the way to 40 mph by the end of the straight. I was REALLY moving now, I'd catch those bastards in no time...

Approaching the corner at the end of the straightaway, I had good sight lines and plenty of time to assess: An uphill right-hander, good camber, not too tight, clean pavement. Go wide on entry, look for my apex. Lean in a bit, but not too much, and - SMASH!! I low-sided the bike, but I hadn't leaned the thing over any farther than it would lean when parked on the side stand! I went down on my right shoulder, then the side of my face (I love my full face helmet!) As I was skidding to a stop on the pavement, I saw my pocket knife go bouncing off into the distance and I thought "Great, now how am I going to open beers". I stood up shook myself off, found my Chatterbox (which had come off my helmet, but wasn't broken!) and plugged it back in and sort of shouted "I'M DOWN!! STOP AND WAIT!"

It was at this point that I realized that my fantastic display of (30 mph) speed followed by a noisy crash had not gone unnoticed by the Mhong villagers. I looked around and there were people everywhere! I gave a wave, and they returned befuddled stares. I wandered around for a minute until I found my pocket knife, then picked up the Minsk, which was hemorrhaging fuel from the cap and the carb. I figured I would have a few more minutes of embarrassment while the bike would refuse to start, but it started on the first kick! Yeah, Minsk!!

I caught up with Aivars and Larisa a few hundred yards up the road, and we hung out by the side of the road for a while to make sure i didn't have any injuries, then got back on the road.

Larisa snapped this picture while waiting for me to catch up
From For advrider

Not finding any place to stay, we ended up riding until after dark that night, it was the first time we experienced Minsk headlights. You would probably be better off duct taping a Fig Newton to the handlebars and hoping the moonlight bounces off of it and onto the pavement...

We stopped for the night in Phonsavan, very tired from a long day, and planned to go out and see the Plain of Jars the next day.
I probably hate you.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:50 PM   #40
FoothillRyder
Tiger Cub

Oddometer: 406
That's entertainment!

Really a fun read of what must have been a fantastic adventure.
- FoothillRyder AMA# 289558, BIR #47, COP #001
'97 Trophy 900, '98 Tiger, '03 Speed Triple 955i

My Blog: http://foothillryder.com/
FoothillRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #41
Kevan Garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Great RR

Loving the ride report, and my new favorite description:

"Not finding any place to stay, we ended up riding until after dark that night, it was the first time we experienced Minsk headlights. You would probably be better off duct taping a Fig Newton to the handlebars and hoping the moonlight bounces off of it and onto the pavement..."

Reminds me of my old MG. It had solar powered head lights. They only worked when the sun was shining.

Kevan
Kevan Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:58 PM   #42
audigirl
Adventurer w/Camera

Oddometer: 5
I can't stop thinking about this trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz1000ken View Post
Im jealous.. Id like to take this trip myself.. Tomorrow.. can I just quit now and go? my bags are packed!
-Ken

Kenneth L Springhetti
2000 ZRX1100
1998 R1100RT
1983 R80RT

http://www.kenspring.com/tracking/motorcycle

The three of us talk about this trip nearly everyday and dream about quitting our job and doing it all over again. For now, planning South America will have to do...

L
audigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:48 PM   #43
Old Blue
Shallow waterman

Oddometer: 1,400
Nice!! Keep it coming please!
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:51 AM   #44
Marco Moto
Voyager

Oddometer: 1,143
This is a great ride report!
Hopefully you will finish it, or at least post some more pics!
cheers,
M.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #45
Grants
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Nice trip and ride report;

excellent ride report and very interesting adventure riding. Would like to go there and have the same trip, looks very interesting. How was the bikes? I have ridden 125ccm Minsk`s and I have to say they are not very reliable.

ps.: actually name "Aivars" is totally Latvian name. Family roots from Latvia / Baltic states or just coincidence?