Old 01-05-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
BMBEN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
BMU WEDNESDAY RIDE 5-1-2011 Lake Alexandra, Mittagong, NSW, Australia

Wednesdays Ride

5/1/2011
Lake Alexandra, Mittagong, NSW

I had checked the weather forecast for the surrounding areas and they all said the same. Overcast with the chance of a shower. The morning was overcast. By lunchtime it had cleared to blue skies and when I arrived home it was overcast and had started to rain.

So I still went around the road to see if anyone would turn up for a ride.
6 turned up for a ride, including 1 new face and it was decided to go to Lake Alexandra at Mittagong. I lead the way as no one had heard of this destination.
We left at 9.10am and headed down the Great Western Highway and turned off the M4 at Mulgoa Rd. We then continued through Wallacia and The Oaks to have morning tea at Thirlmere.
After morning tea we crossed the railway line and wound our way around to Tahmoor, then along Remembrance Drive, Old Hume Highway and the Old South Road into Mittagong then across to Lake Alexandra for lunch.

After lunch we took some back road to Colo Vale then back to Thirlmere and across to Picton where we had afternoon tea.
From Picton we headed home via the Remembrance Drive and Razorback Road through Cowdor, Camden and onto Narellan where we turned onto The northern Road. At Luddenham the group split and for us who live in the mountains, we cut across to Mulgoa, then to Penrith and back up the Great Western Highway to our home.
A really good pleasant ride was had and a lot of big issues discussed. I arrived home at 3.30pm and covered 230km.
Regards Franz

History

Lake Alexandra in Mittagong Township is a man made lake which started life as a dam supplying water for steam engines hauling coal to the Fitzroy iron mines almost 140 years ago.
Why go there

A park land reserve surrounds the lake and birdlife lives in profusion on the water and shores. Barbecue facilities and shelter sheds are available. The whole area has recently been revamped and renovated.
Things to do

Many walking tracks start at the lake. The Mount Alexandra Reserve is 2000 ha in area (5,000 acres). Alexandra Reserve includes Box Vale Walking Track, Nattai Loop Track, Forty Foot Falls, Yellow Track, and Green Track & Red Track.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
Dan_B
Sunny Coast KLR'r

Oddometer: 235
It's a beautiful part of the world down there. Got a brother who lives in Picton, and relo-in-law who lives in Thirlmere. Spectacular scenery, but DAMN it's cold compared to Townsville!!!!!