Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2011, 08:40 PM   #16
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
If you've heard the new one's are an improvement, I guess you've heard a little about the old one's huh durtwurm?
Joe Motocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #17
durtwurm
Talented Amateur

Oddometer: 4,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Motocross View Post
If you've heard the new one's are an improvement, I guess you've heard a little about the old one's huh durtwurm?
Yes. Pete Egan of Motorcycle journalist fame, did a write up on a newer model and discussed the problems of older models and how the latest were much improved.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #18
alekkas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
I'm in. IRT on bikes! Awesome

Why do I keep thinking I'm gonna wind up in a love / hate relationship with a Guzzi?
alekkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:24 AM   #19
New Trick
A guy that likes to ride

Oddometer: 61
India: Delhi through Kashmir on a Royal piece of.... Reply to Thread

Yo Joe. I'm along for the ride!
New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:43 AM   #20
V@lentino
Inspektor

Oddometer: 815
Thumb In

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:05 AM   #21
krian
Rider

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that - it's a matter of maintenance usually, but you need the knowledge and the time to do that. And there is even a big difference between Indian and export models.

We've ridden 40.000 kms through half of Europe on ours so far - without any problems.

But since we're considering to rent an Enfield in India too, I'm now really interested in your report and the problems you were facing.

Photography on
http://krian.smugmug.com/

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 "Austro-Classic"
Yamaha XT 500 A
Yamaha XT 660Z Ténéré
krian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:39 AM   #22
Cold commuter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Austrian maintenance for personal vehicle vs. Indian rental biz upkeep,
"There's your problem"
Old 01-05-2011, 09:21 AM   #23
durtwurm
Talented Amateur

Oddometer: 4,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold commuter View Post
Austrian maintenance for personal vehicle vs. Indian rental biz upkeep,
"There's your problem"
There is an Englishman that rents them in Spain I believe, where he runs his business. Late models and he says they are good for many of the roads available there. I doubt he'd rent bikes that would give him trouble. India? Different story, I would think.

durtwurm screwed with this post 01-05-2011 at 12:41 PM
durtwurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:48 PM   #24
Buuurrrt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
I thought this was a ride report about people riding motorcycles?

Part of the reason we ended up going with "Smart Motors” was because the Minxter had contacted multiple rental shops in India via email and Smart was the only outfit to return her email. Maja and I showed in Delhi a day early and toured the area where all the shops are located and we came across S.M. and went on in and talked for a while with Mohit Soni.

He is the co-owner of the Smart Motors along with his father Om Soni. He spoke great English and we felt good about the deal. He was not the cheapest in town, but he had all the right answers, racks for our bags and the bikes would be ready to go the next day. We gave him a deposit and told him we would return the next day with the rest of our crew.

The four of us returned the next day and spoke again with Mohit. He had both the bikes being completely looked over by his mechanics and said they would be ready to go later that night for pick up. He told us multiple times he was confident about his bikes and insured us they would be in top mechanical condition for our departure the next day.

That evening we ditched the girls at the Hotel and went to pick up the bikes. This is where we should have stopped and done a more thorough pre-ride inspection of the bikes. That was a huge mistake on our part and one we will never make again....I guess we were blinded by excitement and our trust in Mohit which was a very bad call. We grabbed some spare parts, tubes and cables and head into the crazy traffic of downtown New Delhi. As Joe mentioned before the bikes shift lever is on the right and you push down to advance to a higher gear unlike any other bike I have ridden. The rear brake is on the left and operates like you would think by also pushing down on the lever. It was all I could do to stay in traffic with Joe in sight and keep from being killed. The learning curve here was quite steep.

We had it all planned out that we would stop at the gas station on the way and top the bikes off for a early departure the next morning. We had taken the route back and forth from the hotel and we were both confident we had this in the bag. So off we went. Not only did we miss the gas station but we blew right through the intersection we needed to make it the Hotel. It was out of hand. Luckily I had some situational awareness from spending time in the area before and was able to take an alternate route to the hotel. We pulled up to the hotel and the adrenaline meter was just pegged on the red line. We couldn’t believe it and we really couldn’t see ourselves getting back on those bikes to go get gas. It was starting to get dark and felt it would be a much wiser decision to just get the gas on the way out of town the next morning when traffic was light.

With the bikes now in our possession. The excitement level was also pegged at the red line.
Buuurrrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #25
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

DAY 1:
We strap the backpacks to the racks on the bikes and get ready to take off. The racks were pretty nice but just a little under engineered for the type of abuse they got by pretending these bikes were dirt bikes!!

The one bike wouldn't start. Hmmmmm? Foreshadowing? Then we realized the gas tank was bone dry!! We'd only ridden a short distance from Smart Motors so either someone took the gas while the bikes were on the street overnight or they were dry to start with. I suspect the latter. Anyway, our bad for not being on it. We grabbed a container and a tuk-tuk to the nearest gas station. The driver of the first tuk-tuk we hopped in was WASTED on liquor!! He'd obviously been up all night with his lips wrapped around a bottle. We had to wrestle to get him to stop and let us out. He wanted some Rupees anyway! We just hopped in another tuk-tuk and left. The drunk chased us down and slams into our new ride and pins us!

After a bunch of drunken carrying on, we flipped him a few Rupees just to be done with him, got some gas and the bike fired. What a start for the first day!! (pretty hot in Delhi as you can see from Buuurrrt's soaked shirt. Keep in mind this is like 5am in the morning!!)

Getting out of Delhi was challenging to say the least. Traffic was light at first but became super busy with very few road signs that we couldn't read anyway. We rolled through some very poor areas with little kids just crapping on the side of the road where there were literally tons of piles of crap.

We didn't have a GPS, just some maps downloaded from Google Maps. They did the trick and got us out of there. The map looks MUCH easier then when you're actually in it rolling through the madness.

After one tank of gas we stopped to fill up. My bike was low on oil, imagine that! Filled it and brought some extra knowing the reputation with the Enfields and oil consumption!

Trucks are a BIG hazard on the road. Buses as well. Lots of horn blowing and basically it's the "gross tonnage rule"; whoever's bigger has the right of way. Get used to vehicles coming at you on YOUR side of the road! So many close calls EVERY day!!

This video wasn't ours but it REALLY captures what it's like being on those roads. DANGEROUS!! (the guy ended up with only minor injuries)

Things are loose in India. You do WHATEVER works!! Trucks work pretty good for getting people around.

We were shooting for Chandigarh for the first day. It was about 250km from Delhi and we made it. Little did we know that 250km would be about the most km's that we'd go in a day!!
Old 01-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #26
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,443
Quote:
This video wasn't ours but it REALLY captures what it's like being on those roads. DANGEROUS!! (the guy ended up with only minor injuries)
Holy Shit. I was watching it .... like .... err .... ok .... when is something going to happen. Unreal.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:08 PM   #27
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, sketchy!! Buuurrrrt watched a truck lurch at me and Minxter just like that except it didn't go over. It's crazy over there man!
Old 01-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #28
Operator7G
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Of all the places I've been, I think New Delhi ranks highest in terms of crazy driving conditions, which says a lot since I've also experienced the wonderful automotive artistry of Cairo and Beijing. I was fortunate enough to be in a car with a hired driver, and even then I was thinking it was nuts. You guys are probably borderline crazy yourselves for doing that on two wheels!

For those of you not familiar with just how densely populated New Delhi is, go to Google Maps and look at the satellite view to get a better idea of the scale. Searching on "New Delhi, India" will put you pretty much where the A marker is on the first map. The circle to the left of the marker is Connaught Place, and it is a massive complex of shops. Zoom into it, and you'll soon see just what kind of urban jungle these guys were in.

I commend all four of you for taking on this challenge!
Operator7G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:27 PM   #29
Cold commuter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
"Lots of horn blowing and basically it's the "gross tonnage rule"; whoever's bigger has the right of way. Get used to vehicles coming at you on YOUR side of the road! So many close calls EVERY day!!"

If I remember right "rodgerdodger" had the same observation.... Funny that.
Glad you made it out alright.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:42 AM   #30
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,049
Now we're talkin'!

You are describing things to a tee as i remember it.

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote