User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2011, 06:46 PM   #1
Arte OP
Stuck in the 80's

Oddometer: 1,500
My Daughter's first ride !

She is Eleven yrs old and has been asking me for a ride since 9 and complaining why only brother has been riding with me, so finally I decided to take her on a short ride and explained that the boy also had his first ride at 11.

That seemed to solve trouble.

The route was a short one just to sense her if she could hold it. Only some 250 miles or so.

From Zacatecas to Aguascalientes México and get back. Also do some riding to San Jose de Gracia and watch the "Broken Christ" at the "Presidente Calles Dam". We could not finish all the planned tour since we took too long having breakfast at Aguascalientes, so I will post some magazine pics of the places we missed that day.

this was the route

I started doing the 685 kit to my 08 KLR650 but could not finish it on time, so my cousing let me used his KLR which he is not using any more.

the plan was to go out riding only 3 bikes, but the word spreaded fast and we ended up being 9 bikes and 12 riders!

ready to roll!

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
Arte OP
Stuck in the 80's

We got to Aguascalientes soon and parked all bikes near the place that Frank chosed for us to have breakfast.

Here is Frank with his Wife

the two little riding girls of the day (my daughter and my cousin's daughter)

Waiting at the restaurant to be seated (on a sunday and a large group is not a good idea for these type of places)

they better went for quiet chat while we get called.

finally we got in !

hungry already!

this restaurant was really nice, a very antique hacienda house

and now ready to ride some more..

panza llena corazon contento!

bikes were in good hands and safe. All helmets and stuff was there.

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Old 01-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #3
Dieseldoc
retired

Oddometer: 43
Good for you.

Way to go.
Taking your daughter for a ride= priceless!
I started taking my daughter along when she was about 8. She's 33 now and still only rides with dad.
We've always had a special bond and I'd like to think this had something to do with it.
Dieseldoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:31 AM   #4
Steelybeast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
It's great to see you spending quality time with with your daughter. They grow up so fast these days. Maybe she will take an interest in riding herself one day & you will be posting in Dad's & Daughters thread
2008 Kawasaki Versys (past)
Two-Up, Two-Wheels, Two-gether:Switzerland
Steelybeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:45 AM   #5
Arte OP
Stuck in the 80's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldoc View Post
Way to go.
Taking your daughter for a ride= priceless!
I started taking my daughter along when she was about 8. She's 33 now and still only rides with dad.
We've always had a special bond and I'd like to think this had something to do with it.
Yes, I think is something she will remember always, and more cause she loved and wanted to do it again on a longer trip.

thanks!

Chiapas Ride 2013
Old 01-07-2011, 05:48 AM   #6
Arte OP
Stuck in the 80's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelybeast View Post
It's great to see you spending quality time with with your daughter. They grow up so fast these days. Maybe she will take an interest in riding herself one day & you will be posting in Dad's & Daughters thread

that is right, next thing before we notice, they want to be on their own at younger ages and not willing to spend time with the parents.

thanks!

arte

Chiapas Ride 2013
Old 01-07-2011, 06:06 AM   #7
Arte OP
Stuck in the 80's

from Aguascalientes, we went to San Jose de Gracia to ride a little bit by the beach of the dam. Have some pics and a soda for everyone.

This Dam was the first one ever built in all México.

changing to regular shoes is always a priority even for a little while !

lets get some lemonade

we did have a very young entertainer

a sight of the "Broken Christ"

since to go near of this statue, we needed to get on a boat, and it was gettin late, I could not manage to take some close pics, so I will post a couple taken from other source I had, just for highlight this touristic area.

This Christ statue is the second largest of all America, after the one at Rio de Janeiro.

It was done as is "broken" inspired on a old tale of a priest who found a small broken christ and bought it and never restored it, and used to his activities of helping the ones sick and amputees, realizing that the broken figure did use to provide some special reliefe to those in need of it.

Chiapas Ride 2013
Old 01-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #8
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
Thats one happy little girl on the back of that bike behind dad!! Good job and thanks for sharing!!
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:21 AM   #9
atk_nut
and atk_nut_wife

Oddometer: 577

So glad to see we're not the only ones!!We drove around Zacatecas cause we got totally lost in San Luis Potosi.You have a very beautiful country and our kids want to go again.
Give your daughter a camera next time and she can take pics while you drive.
It's loads of fun when you can share with your kids!!
Maybe your daughter could teach our kids a little spanish as last time the only communication our guys had was with a soccer ball.
Hopefully we'll be in Mexico next year again!!

http://members.shaw.ca/fourup
http://vimeo.com/jollyrogerranch
atk_nut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:09 AM   #10
TK-LA
SoCal Rider

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post

I love the expression of pure joy on her face as all the adults chat so seriously. That's how I still feel each time the engine fires up.

2007 Suzuki GS500f - Don't underestimate (and don't take it in loose rocks!)
2004 Suzuki LS650 "Savage" - Either stolen or ran away from home.
TK-LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #11
mikem9
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,194
Good report and pics - thanks for sharing. Interesting to see others enjoying the same motorcycling passion with their kids in other parts of the world. You've inspired me to plan some new trips with my daugthers.
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:01 PM   #12
Arte OP
Stuck in the 80's

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-LA View Post
I love the expression of pure joy on her face as all the adults chat so seriously. That's how I still feel each time the engine fires up.
She could not stop smiling that day

Quote:
Originally Posted by atk_nut View Post

So glad to see we're not the only ones!!We drove around Zacatecas cause we got totally lost in San Luis Potosi.You have a very beautiful country and our kids want to go again.
Give your daughter a camera next time and she can take pics while you drive.
It's loads of fun when you can share with your kids!!
Maybe your daughter could teach our kids a little spanish as last time the only communication our guys had was with a soccer ball.
Hopefully we'll be in Mexico next year again!!
Please let me know next time you come to Mexico, posibilities are we can meet and or I can help on anything. She is bilingual so would be a good time for your kids to practice spanish and clarify doubts in english .

Chiapas Ride 2013
Old 01-07-2011, 04:19 PM   #13
Arte OP
Stuck in the 80's

The other place we had planned to visit was the "Potrerillos Dam" just at some 15 miles from the Broken Christ, There is a set of hanging bridges of some 1500 feet lenght in total and couple Tirolesa (sliding on a rope) of 250 feet and 450 feet. at the end of this tour there is a 9000 feet long tunnel that cross the mountain to connect the body water of the dam with othe body water, this use to solve the problems of moving water on the several little villages.

This tunnel can be walked thru when is not rainy season.

but as I said, was gettin late and I did not wanted to have her ride at night on her first ride.

this is a picture of a magazine just for pointing out the area. Is worth to visit it.

right next to this area, are some very comfortable Shacks that are for rent. if any one is interested on more info, I got the contact phones of the touristic dept for this area.

so after the good time, it was time to get back to Zacatecas,

Probably I should have gave the camera to Paloma, so she could take some road pictures, but I was not sure how safe she would feel doing it, probably next time.

So that was all the story, I'm pretty sure the boy will need to skip my next ride in order the sister can go. She is pushing already!

Many thanks to all for reading and commenting !!

Arte

Chiapas Ride 2013
Old 01-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #14
Ogribike
Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,877
Fantastic ride report Arte, nothing better than sharing motorcycle riding with family.

Jim.
Ogribike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #15
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer: 3,146

grizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote