Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2010, 12:46 AM   #16
LucidMayhem
Mountain scaling freak

Oddometer: 64
I had my rear brake light shake loose at about 7000k and the Cam chain tensioner gasket leaked at around 5000k miles. I believe that was from over servicing though. Other than that, no problems.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #17
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,712
Oil Leaks

Near spark plug, starts here, with a few following posts:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=35690

Including:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=35695

And:

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 12-29-2011 at 10:32 AM Reason: Added Pic
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:24 PM   #18
VtStrom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachian View Post
I bought my bike (a 99 that didnt have a limiter from the factory) from a gent who "forgot" to tell me about the boss that holds a gear in place explode on him and tear the boss in half, then he had it repaired (slob weld job). I found the repair after I had a bolt break off the fly wheel and proceeded to chew up my stator.

Instead of attempting another weld job that probably wouldnt last I decided the best course of action would be to bite the dust and replace the motor cases, I'd rather do it rite as have to waste my time and money (quite a bit by the time its finished) on a roll of the dice.

By chance you own a 98 or 99 model and havent put in a tourque limiter, do so ASAP, An idea of the cost involved...motor cases (new) $700ish (used)$300/$400, service manual $65 new, specialty tools (must have) fly wheel puller $80 the rest of the tools you can improvise becuase some run at $200 a piece, Gasket set $80/$160 (depends), labor bids ran $500 to $700 (main reason I'm gonna do it).

A lotta hassle and cash for a $170 part.

THATS THE TRUTH!!
VtStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:22 PM   #19
sacbandit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
pickup coil failure

at 42,000 miles my bike had an ignition failure. the pickup coil failed. i was shocked when old blue wouldnt start start one day. i have never read of a dr650 doing this. im still not mentally over this!!!!!!!!!! i cant remember how many times i have been 40 plus miles into the forest with this bike. now i have little confidence in old blue. i stay close to main roads in the fear of the bike quitting on me. i have had tons of different bikes over the years and never had an ignition failure.
sacbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:19 AM   #20
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,026
You have had tons of bikes and never an ignition failure, you were due, and now you will not be due again for a very long time. Ride and be happy.
YnotJP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:35 PM   #21
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,712
Torque Limiter

mx_rob said:
"Also be aware that your '98 model has (or had if it's already been addressed) a solid gear on the starter drive instead of the torque limiter that was installed on the 97's and about half of the 99's through 2010. Suzuki thought they'd save some money eliminating this component but I'm pretty sure it cost them a lot more in the end. Here's some more info on it from Kientech.com. http://www.kientech.com/DR650TorqueLimiter.html Major engine damage can occur if the right combination of shut down sequences takes place without the torque limiter."

Edit to add:
The OMG Torque Limiter Thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357012

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 02-14-2011 at 08:44 PM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:52 PM   #22
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,326
My 03 DR is trouble free at 24,000 miles,I do beat it kinda hard and wouldnt be surprised if it hiccuped some time.
I just bought a 10,000 mile old 96 DR cheap that runs great but cant be registered due to CA penaltys for the PO not registering it for a couple or 3 years.
So Ive got a spare everything for the 03 bike,I like that idea.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:53 PM   #23
bigskydrift
dual sport hooligan

Oddometer: 418
I only have about 7000 miles on my '06.....the only thing to give out has been the horn!
Im in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love. And its difficult to analyze love when youre in it." - John Steinbeck
bigskydrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:09 PM   #24
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydrift View Post
I only have about 7000 miles on my '06.....the only thing to give out has been the horn!
i replace mine with the TPI euro horn because that was my greatest fear.
...the TPI is nice and louder.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:08 PM   #25
kezzajohnson
kezza

Oddometer: 1,140
problems/failures

1. Sticky/tight choke cable causing engine to die when handlebars turned full left so have now replaced cable with Procycle choke knob

2. Oil leak from Cam Chain tensioner at 24,000km roughly-cause unknown but maybe slightly overfull oil and long trip/high revs constantly. Engine to TDC on compression, remove oil pipes and exhaust header, retract and removed CCT, remove old gasket, clean up gasket surfaces and fitted new gasket with gasket goo also. refit and 6000kms later no oil leaks-clean as a babies bottom.

3. Not really a problem in most cases but OEM wheel bearings only single sided seals-no good if you do water crossings regularly like I do, so have replaced with quality (not cheap) bearings front and rear with seals both sides.

4. Blown brake light bulb about 18,000kms-replaced easily

5. Horn. It didn't stop working but fell off whilst riding and lost it. replaced with $10.00 supercheap auto number that is louder but smaller that OEM.

6. Never experienced a problem with, but based on experience of others here, I have removed upper chain roller and put a tapered head bolt in there.

7. The Dealer that I bought it from ! Bad experience from the start including trying to put me off buying the DR650 in the first place and to buy another bike. I have only ever had the bike serviced by me, myself and I and I probably would have had more problems by now if I had taken it to the same Dealer to have serviced. Under new ownership now but I still don't trust them.

NO other problems-I love my DR and am glad I bought it and not another bike.

"May the Road Never Rise to Defeat you..."

kezzajohnson screwed with this post 02-01-2011 at 07:16 PM
kezzajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #26
rederik
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Upper chain roller

Thank you for pointing this out - I will remove it on my DR650, 1998 immediately.

Rederik
http://globetrotters.org/mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
REMOVE THE UPPER CHAIN ROLLER.

It is located too low on the frame, so it comes into contact with the chain when the suspension is compressed and you accelerate. Having the correct chain tension will not prevent this problem.

Nobody has ever reported any negative effects from having the upper roller removed, while plenty of people now have holes in their frame for being ignorant of this issue.

Put a small set screw or a big blob of silicone in it's place instead. Don't use a bolt with a big head that will stick out and catch the chain.
rederik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:02 AM   #27
rederik
n00b

Oddometer: 2
How many man-hours to take the engine apart and change the crankcasings?

Well, it happened to me - my DR650 1998 misfired on stop, and bang, a chunk of the crankcasing. Now I am hoping to find out in advance how many man-hours it woudl take (or the cost by a mechanic) to take it all apart and replace the crank casings and fit a torque limiter, before embarking on this project .... or selling it in pieces... :-(

Regards
Rederik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
mx_rob said:
Also be aware that your '98 model has (or had if it's already been addressed) a solid gear on the starter drive instead of the torque limiter that was installed on the 97's and about half of the 99's through 2010. Suzuki thought they'd save some money eliminating this component but I'm pretty sure it cost them a lot more in the end. Here's some more info on it from Kientech.com. http://www.kientech.com/DR650TorqueLimiter.html Major engine damage can occur if the right combination of shut down sequences takes place without the torque limiter.
rederik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:45 AM   #28
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by rederik View Post
Well, it happened to me - my DR650 1998 misfired on stop, and bang, a chunk of the crankcasing. Now I am hoping to find out in advance how many man-hours it woudl take (or the cost by a mechanic) to take it all apart and replace the crank casings and fit a torque limiter, before embarking on this project .... or selling it in pieces... :-(

Regards
Rederik
The same thing recently happened to a member from Chile, so I just tore down my spare engine and shipped him the cases. Took me about 3 hours having never done it before and taking my time, putting it back together would probably be twice that. If you have the parts and tools ready it can definitely be done in a weekend. The manual is pretty good, although it's nice to have somebody experienced looking over your shoulder if you are a novice like me.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:35 AM   #29
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
Quote:
The same thing recently happened to a member from Chile, so I just tore down my spare engine and shipped him the cases. Took me about 3 hours having never done it before and taking my time, putting it back together would probably be twice that. If you have the parts and tools ready it can definitely be done in a weekend. The manual is pretty good, although it's nice to have somebody experienced looking over your shoulder if you are a novice like me.
Just an observation on the starter clutch thing - I noticed that if I stop the engine via the red "stop" button, instead of using the key, engine kick-back is greatly reduced. I do not know why, but it is. Others have mentioned this in the DR650 thread, but noone has been able to tell us why the engine behaves this way.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:41 AM   #30
shu

Oddometer: 965
Quote:
The same thing recently happened to a member from Chile, so I just tore down my spare engine and shipped him the cases.
Awesome.

.........shu
shu is online now   Reply With Quote