ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Do we need a DR650SE information index?
In a word- yes. In two words- hell, yes! Do it. 67 90.54%
No. It ain't broke, don't fix it... 7 9.46%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2010, 11:45 AM   #46
mr openroad
Target Fixated

Oddometer: 4,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMind
Oh sorry for not wanting half of the threads on the Thumpers forum index to be generic numbered DR650 info topics when I check in to see what's going on in the morning.

I'm with you, since this is such a great idea let me start one for the KLR650, XT600, and TW200 at 10-20 threads a piece. And let me bump them all in one day! That will make this forum so interesting and useful for everyone.

so says the KLR riding numb skull from Oakland! you don't like it don't read it that simple.
mr openroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:00 PM   #47
Krusty ... OP
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,596
Quote:
Krusty, have you taken a moment to see what the thumpers forum index looks like when you bump a dozen of your threads to the front page? I think the idea of so many "index topics" is fucking retarded, but at least do us all a favor and don't bump them all at the same time. How about you have one leader thread that you can bump however often you want and use it to drive people to the individual subthreads?

I did that just this once . It was a slow Sunday morning...

Seriously, I don't plan to make a habit of just bumping them. I will be bringing some content from the "black hole", and other sources, too, and I encourage others to do the same...
Old 11-28-2010, 01:02 PM   #48
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,127

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #49
MotoMind
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
All's well, sorry for stirring the pot. I should drink my morning tea and take a crap before I post.
MotoMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #50
mr openroad
Target Fixated

Oddometer: 4,086
Quote:
All's well, sorry for stirring the pot. I should drink my morning tea and take a crap before I post.
also sorry!
mr openroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:44 PM   #51
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Not a bad idea to have a single Index thread ... and from there readers can go to any of the others individual topics. If you we show 10 DR650 threads all at once ... I could see Gadget Boy doing something bad. (remember ... he is a serious BMW Kool Aid sniffer) Many Non DR fans are probably incensed that the DR thread is 10 times the size of any other individual bike thread ... so we need to tread lightly.

But the index threads really work and will make DR info easily and quickly accessible ... should prove to be useful for years to come.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:17 PM   #52
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,505
As a potential DR650 buyer, I really want to say thanks for sorting out various topics. Can't even describe how handy this is going to be!

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:53 PM   #53
shu

Oddometer: 985
Quote:
How about you have one leader thread that you can bump however often you want and use it to drive people to the individual subthreads?
That would work for me.

I like the idea of having these threads to organize info. Thanks, Krusty.

.........shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:53 AM   #54
Jenn
praise seitan!

Oddometer: 779
What about mirrors? What category do they fall into?
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #55
VtStrom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Good question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
For me they fall into the "Chronic Broken parts" column...
VtStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #56
Krusty ... OP
What? Me hurry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
Good catch, Jenn ...

Check (recently edited) reply #22 in this thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635635
Old 09-12-2011, 06:00 PM   #57
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,193
Just found this.

thanks for the effort Krusty
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:05 AM   #58
livin2day
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
crickets....

We'll see if this is the proper place for my introduction, since its been awhile since anyone has posted here, but I'm very interested in keeping this DR index thread alive.

Man, what happened to this thread? It is such a fantastic idea! Is it just not visible enough for most? I admit, I sort of stumbled across it myself. I have to think that if this thread was in the right spot, the mega DR thread wouldn't be such a cluster. Regardless, thank you guys for putting it together. I've been going cross-eyed sifting through the big DR thread over the last week!

I've been lurking on this site over the last few months, and you guys have sold me on the DR 650. I started off going through the BMW line up, but I finally narrowed it down to either the KLR or DR. After A LOT of lurking, the DR seems to be the best fit. My only concern has been the longevity of an air cooled vs liquid cooled? Seems like the KLR's are getting more mileage and have more RTW trips under their belts. Either way, the 50k miles people are getting from the DR's seems plenty for the price, and is a less hassle and more dirt worthy platform.

Anyway, I'm Planning on living off of it for more than a year, with destinations unknown. I'd like to start off with the TAT, then to AK, and on down to SA (and beyond?) riding as little paved road as possible. I think I've sorted through enough threads/posts to have a basic build in mind, but will post comparison questions in each subject thread of the index. Thanks in advance for all your help and any recommendations are welcomed.

This is a great site!
livin2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:06 AM   #59
Krusty ... OP
What? Me hurry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by livin2day
Man, what happened to this thread?
Welcome, livin2day...

The thread served it's purpose. It was a precursor to the DR650SE index that's in the Model Specific thread that's stickied at the top of the Thumper page. Or just click the link in my sigline . I intended it to be a resource, like a file cabinet, and I'm grateful to everyone who has pitched in and to those who continue to contribute.

l2d, there is a section that has links to other sites and vendors you can check out also.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:24 AM   #60
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by livin2day View Post
I've been lurking on this site over the last few months, and you guys have sold me on the DR 650. I started off going through the BMW line up, but I finally narrowed it down to either the KLR or DR. After A LOT of lurking, the DR seems to be the best fit. My only concern has been the longevity of an air cooled vs liquid cooled? Seems like the KLR's are getting more mileage and have more RTW trips under their belts. Either way, the 50k miles people are getting from the DR's seems plenty for the price, and is a less hassle and more dirt worthy platform.

Anyway, I'm Planning on living off of it for more than a year, with destinations unknown. I'd like to start off with the TAT, then to AK, and on down to SA (and beyond?) riding as little paved road as possible. I think I've sorted through enough threads/posts to have a basic build in mind, but will post comparison questions in each subject thread of the index. Thanks in advance for all your help and any recommendations are welcomed.
Welcome!
As Rusty says, the Index thread on page One of Thumpers will lead you to all the various topics on DR650's. A great resource and much easier to access than the giant 9 million view BIG DR650 thread.

It's true, the KLR has been used for more RTW trips if you go back into the 1980's. The DR650 was not really discovered as a 1st Class RTW Adventure bike until much later. I bought a NEW KLR in 1998 ... totally stock ... did a 5500 mile Baja, Mexico, Guatemala trip on it. Got it home and sold it. I'm not a fan. But a well set up KLR is much better than a stock one.

But compared to the DR650 the KLR has some weak areas ... which you probably know about since you did your homework.

I would not hesitate to start your own build thread in Thumpers. I'm sure you'll get lots of participation from the thousands of DR650 riders on ADV.
Lots of knowledgeable guys here world wide. Some really good fabricators and innovators too.

The DR650 is a great low budget Adventure bike that will out perform and out last many more expensive Euro bikes ... singles or twins. With simple mods and decent maintenance ... it will make it.
Have fun!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote