ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2005, 11:03 AM   #1
Caffeind OP
Team Piggly Wiggly

Oddometer: 11,555
Bike-friendly parking near Union Station, DC

SWMBO and I are going to the Congressional blues concert on Wednesday. It's next door to Union Station. Their parking garage is open 24 hrs. "Great!" says me, because this thing is going to run until almost midnight. I call for information, get the rates, and to make sure I can park my bike there.

Me: "Is the parking garage motorcycle accessible?"

Her: "No, it's not."

Me: "Why not?"

Her: "Because we don't have spaces for them."

Me: "Well, I assume I'll be paying the same rate as a car, anyway, so I can just park in a car space."

Her: "Hold, please."

Me: (to myself) "Harumph. What poor customer service. She didn't ask to place me on hold, nor did she wait until I could confirm that she could before doing so. I'll have to have a word with her manag..."

Her: "Hello, sir?"

Me: "Yes?"

Her: "No, you can't park a motorcycle in the garage."

Her: "It's against our policy."

Me: (to myself) "Dude, WTF?"

Me: (to her) "Your policy is discriminatory."

Her: "Thank you for calling." (hangs up)

So, anyone know of a place I can park my bike off the street from 6PM until about midnight this Wednesday near Union Station? Preferably within one or two blocks, because SWMBO is not going to want to walk around at midnight in DC looking for the parking garage.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:55 PM   #2
MrE
computer driver

Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeind
Her: "No, you can't park a motorcycle in the garage."

Her: "It's against our policy."

Me: (to myself) "Dude, WTF?"

Me: (to her) "Your policy is discriminatory."

Her: "Thank you for calling." (hangs up)

So, anyone know of a place I can park my bike off the street from 6PM until about midnight this Wednesday near Union Station? Preferably within one or two blocks, because SWMBO is not going to want to walk around at midnight in DC looking for the parking garage.
It has been my experience (though somewhat limited) that they say "no motos" if you ask but when you show up and go in, they let you park there. Most of the automatic arms have "no pedestrians or motorcycles" signs preinstalled from the factory. I know here at work ours have no moto sign, but security told me it was fine, "they all come that way".

I say just go on down and don't ask. Just park there.
The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.
- Thomas Jefferson
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 03:16 PM   #3
carioca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Park on the sidewalk like most riders. :)
carioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 03:26 PM   #4
MrE
computer driver

Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by carioca
Park on the sidewalk like most riders. :)
Not in DC. $100 fine that doubles if not paid in 30 days. DAMHIK.
The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.
- Thomas Jefferson
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 03:42 PM   #5
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,855
So, anyone know of a place I can park my bike off the street from 6PM until about midnight this Wednesday near Union Station? Preferably within one or two blocks, because SWMBO is not going to want to walk around at midnight in DC looking for the parking garage.[/QUOTE]

That part of town is not that bad. Even at midnight. There are plenty of people around and is fairly well patrolled.

If you can find an open spot, there are meters at Union Station. If you can wait until 6:30 pm (when the rush hour parking restrictions end) I would put it on the street. If you are really concerned, put on a lock and/or a cover over it.

I live 18 blocks north of that area. If you want, you can park in my driveway and taxi to and from the event.

What the hell, if you have an extra ticket or two, I might be willing to drive you down there!

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 05:46 PM   #6
CityClip
Upgraded to Scooterdom

Oddometer: 843
Last time I was in that garage, I saw an F650GS parked there. No problem. Plus, you could probably just leave it on the street somewhere nearby. Hell, sometimes I leave my bike on the sidewalk.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:52 PM   #7
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,187
I parked illegally today, like I do damn near every day, because I get to work later than the feds, and this time of year all the fair weather riders and their chrome toilets take up all the moto-only spots before I get to work. Anyway, this morning I watched the meter maid look at my bike and the equally illegally parked bikes on either side of it, and keep on walkin'. She didn't give us a ticket. They're not all bad.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 06:13 PM   #8
harpoon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,734
Humm Peaches, out on the edge of the envelope again!!!

Old 05-16-2005, 06:32 PM   #9
RBikerT
Ride the Weird

Oddometer: 221
Parking near Union Station

Their policy is crap. I lived in DC for years, and visit often, and know Union Station well (great movie theaters and food court). You have two options. The first is to park wherever the hell you like in any marked space after taking a ticket. Or, you can park on the second level farthest away from the station which is the "Designated" motorcycle parking area.

If you park on the second level, you are "supposed" to go to the ticket office and pay the parking fee. I've never done that. I occassionally find a handwritten note on my bike stating your license plate has been recorded and reported for theft. In years I've never had any repercussions. You will not be towed as long as you use your brain (don't park near a hydrant or really obnoxiously).

Also. There's plenty of street parking around the area where a bike can squeeze in. It's legal for a bike to share a space, just leave a reasonable amount of room between vehicles and you won't see a ticket. If you go toward Union Station from H Street you find lots of parking on the hill. Or off the street against the building behind the Old Post Office.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:15 PM   #10
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon
Humm Peaches, out on the edge of the envelope again!!!
When are you moving?

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:32 PM   #11
harpoon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,734
Old 05-17-2005, 09:20 AM   #12
Caffeind OP
Team Piggly Wiggly

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman
I parked illegally today, like I do damn near every day, because I get to work later than the feds, and this time of year all the fair weather riders and their chrome toilets take up all the moto-only spots before I get to work. Anyway, this morning I watched the meter maid look at my bike and the equally illegally parked bikes on either side of it, and keep on walkin'. She didn't give us a ticket. They're not all bad.
I had a hell of a time finding a space when I was working 10AM-7PM. Especially when the World Bank had the spaces across from their entrance closed as part of the open-ended emergency no parking area around IMF and World Bank headquarters.

Now that I'm working more reasonable hours - parking around 8AM, there are plenty of spaces. 12-hour meters, too, so I don't have to worry about feeding a meter or moving my bike to (unsuccessfully) avoid a ticket. Of course, about half the meters there don't work reliably. I'll put in 4 quarters and they read FAIL, or don't register time for half the quarters I put in.

With parking tickets, penalties, and the hassle factor of always having to find and carry quarters around added in, it's just about worth it to pay for underground parking in my building.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:06 PM   #13
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEnloe
It has been my experience (though somewhat limited) that they say "no motos" if you ask but when you show up and go in, they let you park there. Most of the automatic arms have "no pedestrians or motorcycles" signs preinstalled from the factory. I know here at work ours have no moto sign, but security told me it was fine, "they all come that way".

I say just go on down and don't ask. Just park there.
I missed this one. We are a couple miles from the Springfield Metro and will gladly provide shuttle services and bike parking for beer

As for "no motos", security guys said it's just an insurance CYA so you can't sue the manufacture/owner. There was an incident where Jerry used to work where a Gold Wing was launched when the baracade came up - the sensor didn't detect the presence of the bike. Ever since then they have had a motorcyle detour (sidewalk) around the GW launchers. 2ndspace also had a a baracade on the greenway come down on his head (smarttag only lane) - another reason for the HD guys to wear helmets.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 01:28 PM   #14
Caffeind OP
Team Piggly Wiggly

Thanks, Gov. SWMBO and I will pick up a slug in Woodbridge in the morning and hit the HOV ( ) lanes. There is valet parking at the event. I'd take you up on the offer, but I don't know about picking up a slug going to Springfield (most go to the Pentagon, I believe) and we won't be getting back to Springfield until about midnight, best case - if Metro's even still running then.