Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2010, 10:31 AM   #3781
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
Happy holidays, to all our ADV and Mobius friends! All is well with us, please, no worries... sorry for the delay in finishing writing up this section. There's been work/home/life/etc. stuff that's been taking the priority, but it's all good... well, not so bad anyway. We'll be back in the saddle riding soon, and writing & posting photos even sooner.

(Yes, we actually carry the hats with us JUST for our holiday card photo-op)
boy you two you sure went far.

twas me I'd done it in a car.

to go that far is quite a feat.

but cars have this nice thing called heat.

if you go again give me a call.

I'll follow on your facebook wall.

merry xmas!
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #3782
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Oddometer: 10,339
Fantastic Picture!!

Merry Christmas you two!!
Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:22 PM   #3783
Trailace
Dumb Ass

Oddometer: 1,150
Merry Christmas to you as well.
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Trailace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:40 PM   #3784
mtnman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
I think you two went up there to be Santa's helpers. Merry Christmas!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:27 PM   #3785
probe
slowpoke

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
I think you two went up there to be Santa's helpers. Merry Christmas!
Thanks you two! I've really enjoyed reading your reports. Merry Christmas to you both and I'm looking forward to riding in the New Year with ya'll! Keep those reports coming.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #3786
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
I'm back at it

Just so nobody worries; I took a self-imposed hiatus from ADV mostly to focus on a book chapter I was struggling to finish. No ADV until the chapter is done! I thought it'd be a couple of days. NOT.

Then there were the holidays, and visitors, and setting up our home network to use a server, and various home maintenance projects at the AdventureLoft™, and hosting a couple of parties and cooking some dinners, immersing myself in the art and science of cured meat and sausage production, and super-busy at work 'cause the hospital is packed to the gills and well... I think I just needed a little break.

As usually happens, if I just give it a rest, the appetite returns. I submitted the chapter this morning, and I'll probably have some editing to do, but that's what editors are for. The itch has been growing to finish processing the photos, writing up the M6 segment, and for planning M7, riding and traveling as well. And if anyone's gonna be in NYC the weekend of the IMS show at the Javits center, we're hosting our annual ADV winter party Sat. Jan. 22nd. Come on over.

So now... on with the RR!
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 01-10-2011 at 11:50 AM
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:48 AM   #3787
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day 13, Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Our day started in the smallest room ever:

All told, we spent as much time doing photography as we did riding. And we rode a lot!

LDF was super-proud of the riding blister that had developed on her throttle-hand. Mr. Happy Puppet cheering her up.

We knew it was going to be a long day, so it was some hotel coffee for breakfast, and a cinnamon roll, i think,

and wheels rolling by 7:40am!

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 01-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #3788
PDL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Glad to hear all is well! Looking forward to the next installment. You must keep really good notes during the ride to be able to put this together. Thanks for taking me along!
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #3789
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Right out of Chitina

the road emerges from the gorge seen in the photo above, which was chiseled from the bedrock for the rail line, and crosses the Copper River where it meets the Chitina.

It was a nice way to start the day, with the fog, the crisp air, and the morning light.

Looking back:

and ahead:

Old 01-10-2011, 12:14 PM   #3790
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Chitina

is a destination for dip-net salmon fishing, which is just what it sounds like.

What you see below, are fish wheels,

They work like this:

Like shooting monkeys in a barrel.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 01-10-2011 at 12:21 PM
Old 01-10-2011, 12:17 PM   #3791
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDL View Post
Glad to hear all is well! Looking forward to the next installment. You must keep really good notes during the ride to be able to put this together. Thanks for taking me along!
Actually, I don't keep any written notes at all... whenever I see something that I want to remember, I take a photo. That's usually enough to trigger the memory. Though, truth be told, sometimes I'll be looking at a photo and think, "what the heck was I taking a picture of???"
Old 01-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #3792
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

McCarthy road

(or rather THE McCarthy Road) is 60 miles from Chitina to Kennecott. The tour van filled with retirees had left the hotel a few minutes before we did. It didn't take long to catch them.

Man, were we able to cover a lot more ground than they were. We spent hours at the mines, and they were just pulling up as we were leaving .

The Chitina:

Old 01-10-2011, 05:54 PM   #3793
katoomryder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Woot woot!!

Welcome back, Doc!!

Those wheels really change it from fishin' to catchin'
1995 250 EXC - Sold
katoomryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:40 PM   #3794
DocAxeYarYar
RideDualSport.com

Oddometer: 755
The Mobius Trip

Beautiful pictures thanks for taking us along! Your TAT reports were wonderful too, and very helpful on my own TAT trip about a year ago. Your adventures are very inspiring, thanks for sharing the ride.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:39 AM   #3795
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Thanks everyone,

it's good to be back.

That said, why don't we start the day with a little rant?

Life on McCarthy road.