User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
Spark Plug OP
Low on compression

Oddometer: 1,332
1968 CL450 Charging System Help.

Ok, my CL450 is having some charging system problems and I need some help from the collective.

New battery installed last week.

Running the bike between 2k and 3k voltage at the battery remains a steady 12.5v

Rectifier was disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled with di-electric grease on all the connections.

Now, I have a Clymers manual which is quite vague on electrical diagnostics. But it appears as the plug for the stator is under the clutch or stator covers. Anyone know how you test the A/C output of the stator? The wiring diagram show two wires from the stator going to the regulator and one to the light circuit. I checked the output at the wires going to the regulator and got zero A/C volts, but I don't want to rely on this as I am not sure this is the proper test.

Anyone have any experience with these old Hondas. I really don't want to go throwing parts at it.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
johnnyc14
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Join the Honda Twins forum. All the info you could want about 450's there.

http://www.hondatwins.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=53

1971 Honda CL450
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ight=johnnyc14
1972 Kawasaki F9 Bighorn
1973 Kawasaki H1D Mach III
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=634816
1974 Yamaha DT250
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=dt250
2003 Suzuki DRZ400S
2008 Kawasaki ZG1400
johnnyc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
Spark Plug OP
Low on compression

Thanks for the link. I will get reading.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
noman
just another bike nut

Oddometer: 753
cl charging

charging system performance on these older bikes was "ok" when new, and i don't think you'll see huge improvements even with all new parts. you might see a 1 or 1.5v gain from what you have now. i'd start by cleaning both ends of the battery leads, and all "bullet" or "spade" connections in the charging system circuit. included here are the connections at the reg/rect, in back of the fuse holder, from the stator, etc will help.
noman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
Spark Plug OP
Low on compression

Understood, but right now it's not charging at all. I have cleaned and inspected all the connections, replaced the battery cables (They were in rough shape and partially broke). I am only getting 12.5v at 3K so something is not working correctly.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:45 PM   #6
Revill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
If you have the stator plug identified use an ohmmeter to check connectivity between the 3 legs. If there's less than a zillion ohms between each leg it's stator time. If you have difficulty finding a new one, check rebuilders. You should either be able to get a rebuilt stator (WITH modern epoxy instead of lacquer and heavier wire) for about half what a new one stock Honda part will cost. At least, that's what I found last time I tried it. Last century.

Revill
Revill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
Spark Plug OP
Low on compression

I have to double check tonight but after reading HondaTwins.net, it appears that some PO has wired the stator direct, eliminating the plug. This is what had me screwed up. I think I have a pretty good hold on whats happening now.

It also appears that one leg of the stator is run through the light circuit and can be bypassed by connecting the two wires going to the light switch from the stator together on the harness side. This allows the charging system to charge with all 3 legs all the time, not just with the lights on. I will probably order a replacement rectifier from Oregon Motorcycle parts, hell $25 for a better than stock sealed unit is worth it.

Thanks for the help guys, I think I have my head wrapped around this now. I will probably not get to it untill this weekend, but I will update with the diagnosis.