Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
Gila Monster OP
Carnivore

Oddometer: 117
Thumb Extended errand on new to me 950 Adv.

My little 950 Adventure this afternoon.

I just bought this 2005.5 950 ADV S in Nov. from another inmate (Pozo rider) but haven't had much chance to test it out offroad yet so this is kind of an early impression from a new 950 owner. Not much of an adventure really but I just thought I'd share my enthusiasm for the new ride.

I've been snowed and mudded in up here in N central AZ. for about a month but it has finally warmed and dried up enough to get the 950 Adv. out on the road. My kids toads needed some food (crickets) so I decided to ride the 950 to the pet shop. Any excuse will do of course. As I rolled away my wife said that I should take the long way. She's awesome and knows me well. I was gonna trade her in when she turns 50 in a couple weeks but I think I'll keep her another year now.

I had no idea what that meant but I just followed my nose. I ended up at the Cleator Bar out in the AZ desert 60+ mi. from home. I took an old rocky mining road off the rim (Bluebell Mine Rd.) into the basin and the 950 performed great. At first the road was a twisty rutted mud/dirt affair and the 950 just ate it up. I caught air of a cattle guard and bottomed out on a hidden G-out but it was all good. I can't believe a 500 pound bike can handle that kind of romping and feel so solid.

Once the road started to drop more steeply through the old mines it got very rocky with lots of little drop off ledges and ruts. Slowed down for that but it handled like a bicycle maneuvering between the obstacles. Once things leveled out again on the 2 track jeep road it was all grins an giggles carving turns around and through the smooth ruts. Passed some big eyed ATV riders and did a little jump to show off.

I took a crappy cell phone photo at the bar (Sorry I really wasn't planning on needing a camera at the pet store) and then headed back home on the graded dirt road. I can't believe how the 950 just floats and gets smoother the faster it goes. I did hit 96mph on one straight stretch... Ran out of road not throttle...

I get so bored riding on pavement but the second I hit the dirt the 950 just shines. I was laughing out loud just romping down those jeep roads. It is set up perfectly with Emig Evolution II stabilizer and tall bar mounts, SPS suspension, BDCW skid plate and side stand bracket, 2 into 1 exhaust with the old can as 1.5 gal aux. fuel,...

The crickets survived the long ride home... well until the toads get them.

2008 KTM 300 XCW

Gila Monster screwed with this post 01-09-2011 at 09:30 PM
Gila Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:39 PM   #2
Nightstalker
YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer: 5,933
Glad to see you're liking the new ride. Did you get enough crickets to fill those gobis??

North American
Ride Report Index and GPX files at:

NSRides.com

Nightstalker rides North America 2007

snug htiw swoC
Nightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Oddometer: 2,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstalker View Post
Did you get enough crickets to fill those gobis??
I'm guessing he only got enough for 1 day and he'll have to go again tomorrow to get more...
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:43 PM   #4
Gila Monster OP
Carnivore

Oddometer: 117
Ha! I'll be commuting to work (40 mi. rt) as long as the weather holds so I think there might be some after work errands to do too.

Today's excuse was my 12 year old daughter forgetting her homework at school. We hopped on the 950 2 up and had a little fun together.
2008 KTM 300 XCW
Gila Monster is offline   Reply With Quote