User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #3796
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
There's a certain

Homeric odyssey, quest-like aspect to the Mobius trip. Probably any adventure, actually. Instead of the gorgons or scylla, we have monsters like these to overcome:

From The Lonely Planet: "At Mile 17 of McCarthy Rd sits the one-lane, 525ft-long Kuskulana River Bridge, long known as 'the biggest thrill on the road to McCarthy.' Built in 1910, this historic railroad span is a vertigo-inducing 238ft above the bottom of the gorge. Though the state has added guard rails and new planks and thus taken some of the thrill out of the crossing, the view of the steep-sided canyon and rushing river from the bridge is awesome, and well worth the time to park at one end and walk back across it."

There was a pick-up traveling ahead of us, you can see it in the middle of the bridge:

LDF went first, and I could hear her fear over the intercom...

I said "screw it," and tried to Evel Knievel myself straight over the gorge:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:00 AM   #3797
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We followed the Kuskulana

and started to get some sunlight breaking through the clouds,

We passed another old railroad trestle, this one was abandoned and not part of the current McCarthy road,

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 01-11-2011, 10:12 AM   #3798
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The road

was pretty much empty, so we were able to wick up the velocity,

Overhead, however, was the eye in the sky... radar speed detection.

and with good reason, up ahead: road construction. Major traffic jam.

"... ALMOST like the Road of Bones... we'd have to cross this through the water if this were the Road of Bones" I crack myself up.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:25 AM   #3799
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

More foggy peaks

and then, the end of the road...

for 4-wheeled cages, that is. But not us...

We weren't entirely certain what we'd done was legal... but nobody seemed to mind.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:34 AM   #3800
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Once you pass that foot bridge

it's still a few miles to the mine site. Along the way we caught a glimpse of what I assumed was slag from the copper mining enterprise:

"What a disgrace," I thought. 70 years since the mine has been closed, and it still looks like that?

At least there was some sign of civilization:

But this?

The horror.

Then again, you know what they say... never assume.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #3801
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Kennecott mines

It was 10am, and we would spend the next 2 1/2 hours walking around and taking photos. The place is bigger than you think, and if we had it to do over again, we'd have changed out of our riding boots, and into our camp shoes. As it was, we didn't hike down to the glacier, but we still had a great time exploring.

Snipers. Laser sights.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:28 AM   #3802
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

As you can imagine

Kennecott mines is wildly photogenic. An abandoned ghost-town and copper mine deep in the wilds of the Alaskan interior, next to a glacier. Here's a link to the sanitized version of it's history. I'll spare you the details, and summarize what I consider to be relevant: Turn of the century prospectors. Friendly Copper river Athabascans with shiny trinkets. Guggenheim family. Natives sucker-punched. Copper extracted. Boom-town. Workers exploited. Guggenheims rich. Workers sucker-punched. Operation abandoned.

My only question: Where were the adults during all of this?

I'm going to have a hard time enjoying their museum now.

Anyway, not to get all sociopolitical, here's a selection of photos, with minimal commentary:

Old 01-11-2011, 11:29 AM   #3803
KI6HNB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Every time I read a new post in this thread it makes me want to pack up the DRZ and head out.

Did you get a pic of the sign? I bet that was an interesting read.

Just curious, how many miles do the two bikes have on them now?

KI6HNB screwed with this post 01-11-2011 at 11:35 AM
KI6HNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:53 AM   #3804
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI6HNB View Post
Every time I read a new post in this thread it makes me want to pack up the DRZ and head out.

Did you get a pic of the sign? I bet that was an interesting read.

Just curious, how many miles do the two bikes have on them now?
I suggest you wait 'till it warms up a bit, then by all means!

We did not get a pic of the sign... it was the same whitewashed version you get on the interweb. I had read a somewhat different version of the history somewhere at the hotel the night before that was a little less biased, and described the prospectors interaction with the natives as the way the prospectors "discovered" the copper deposits. I call bullshit that they just "found" it. They knew there was a buttload of copper up there. The natives had been trading it for 1400 years, the Copper River had been named the Copper River by the white man almost a century before the mother-lode was tapped, and the copper was "discovered" coincidentally just at the perfect moment in history that cities were wiring themselves for electricity. Hmmm.

Anyway, the DRZ's probably have 15,000 (Honeybee) to 20,000 (Blueberry) miles on them give or take. They're both '04's.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #3805
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

THe visitor's center

Old 01-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #3806
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The processing facility

(HDR)

Old 01-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #3807
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Details

Old 01-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #3808
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The power house

Old 01-11-2011, 12:25 PM   #3809
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Back outside

The glacier (thin strip of white among the dirt piles)

Old 01-11-2011, 12:30 PM   #3810
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Cottage life

Believe it or not, there's a can exactly like this in the basement of our building (built in 1904).