User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #3811
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
A few more before the hike

Motorcycle content: Note the shock spring above, and the pre-load adjusting tool below...

The valley below:

Mexican wiring job:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:20 PM   #3812
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The ill-advised hike up to the top

the first fall-color tree in North America:

The Kennicott glacier (HDR)

Downstream:

Ice cave detail:

freeloader.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 01-11-2011, 12:36 PM   #3813
TonsOfFun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
Kennecott mines is wildly photogenic. An abandoned ghost-town and copper mine deep in the wilds of the Alaskan interior, next to a glacier. Here's a link to the sanitized version of it's history. I'll spare you the details, and summarize what I consider to be relevant: Turn of the century prospectors. Friendly Copper river Athabascans with shiny trinkets. Guggenheim family. Natives sucker-punched. Copper extracted. Boom-town. Workers exploited. Guggenheims rich. Workers sucker-punched. Operation abandoned.

My only question: Where were the adults during all of this?

I'm going to have a hard time enjoying their museum now.

Anyway, not to get all sociopolitical, here's a selection of photos, with minimal commentary:
Spot on!
How can one not get all sociopolitical when one observes the permanent shit stain that is an old abandoned mining operation?
Where are the adults today?
TonsOfFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:39 PM   #3814
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The view from the top

Old 01-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #3815
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

On the way down

Old 01-11-2011, 12:46 PM   #3816
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Hookers and blow

Old 01-11-2011, 12:50 PM   #3817
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

And back to the bikes

tonka truck

Old 01-11-2011, 01:50 PM   #3818
calamari_kid
Ootmik

Oddometer: 118
Great RR Doc/LDF. I'm going to point the wife at this thread. She's been kicking around the idea of getting on two for the last couple years. I think LDF's experience might be a good inspiration.

You sure have a way with that pitchur box. How do you like the S95 compared to the G11? I'm looking to upgrade my on the bike p&s and was considering the G12, but the quality of shots you're getting with the S95 are making me reconsider. In particular, how are the manual controls on the S95, reasonably easy to use?

Also, re: bees. What you might be seeing is yellowjackets. They're insectivorous cousins of our honey producing friends, and I get 'em scavenging the pulpy remains on the front of my bike pretty regularly down here in WA.

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba...." -Hunter S Thompson
calamari_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #3819
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We took a lap

around the town of McCarthy, which was the civilian id to the company ego.

Even today, it seemed like a more relaxed, fun place to hang out.

Potatoes and espresso?

Old 01-11-2011, 02:17 PM   #3820
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

camera gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by calamari_kid View Post
Great RR Doc/LDF. I'm going to point the wife at this thread. She's been kicking around the idea of getting on two for the last couple years. I think LDF's experience might be a good inspiration.
Have your wife shoot LDF a PM if she has any questions. Wimmen riders tend to be supportive and encouraging of each other, unlike us men who at best will belch in the general direction of, and at worst will tea-bag the seat of noob riders.

Quote:
...How do you like the S95 compared to the G11?...In particular, how are the manual controls on the S95, reasonably easy to use?
On M6, LDF was shooting with the G11, and I was using the Lumix TS-2 from the bike, and the Leica M9 with either a 15mm f4.5, 50mm f2, or 90mm f2.8 lens when stopped, or walking around. If it isn't obvious, check the EXIF data on each photo to figure out which camera was used for which shot. If you're using Firefox, an easy way to do that is to use the add-on extension "EXIF viewer" and right click on the image.

Since we've gotten back, we upgraded the G11 for the S95. The S95 is easier to use, and definitely a pocketable camera. It's limited in that it doesn't accept a hot-shoe flash, but that's about it (edit-- the S95 also doesn't have the built-in ND filter). The manual controls are much better with the lens ring (not sure if that's been incorporated into the G12?) It's a great camera to grab and go, decent at low light, and shoots raw.

Quote:
Also, re: bees. What you might be seeing is yellowjackets. They're insectivorous cousins of our honey producing friends, and I get 'em scavenging the pulpy remains on the front of my bike pretty regularly down here in WA.
You're probably right... though I prefer to think of them as mutant cannibal zombie bees.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:22 PM   #3821
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Heading back

it was clear we were heading into some rain,

but we plowed through it, and it cleared up quickly.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:12 PM   #3822
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We were haulin' the mail

on the way back,

Birch canyon,

I realized the M6 dirt riding would be coming to an end soon.

Seeing a road sign announcing a matador up ahead really cheers me up.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #3823
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Just cruisin'

and enjoying the sights:

Old 01-11-2011, 06:19 PM   #3824
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

If this were the road of bones...

we'd be riding up there.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:28 PM   #3825
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Next up,

the big long scary single-lane bridge:

There was a pick-up truck stopped in the middle of the bridge. Even though the signs said no stopping on the bridge. It turned out to be a State of Alaska vehicle. Is it completely lawless up here, or what?

So I figured if they stopped, I could stop too. Here are the photos:

Upstream:

downstream: