User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
AdvRich OP
Parallel Reality

Oddometer: 1,421
Winter Tour & Tag

A little over a month ago, I rode over into Vermont to experience the roads and scenery, visit a cycle shop where my friend was having some work done, and if possible, score the tag in the Vermont Tag O Rama.

The ride was enjoyable with fair weather, beautiful scenery and a bit of discovery with each passing turn. There was some extra chill going over the RT 4 pass at Killington and a narrowed focus for the slightly icy sections hiding in the shaded turns of Rt 107 along the scenic White River. I scored the tag at the Joseph Smith Memorial near Randolph and made a mental note to come back for a longer visit. I then turned Westward and retraced most of my route as I headed to my second destination in Pittsford, VT. In the passing time, warmth and traffic had thawed the road along the river allowing more predictable fun in the wet turns. The 28 yro Vision motored through admirably. With the time now well past noon, it occurred to me to make my next stop the new tag shot.

I arrived at the Nickwackett Garage just as Bud the owner was closing up for the day. We chatted a bit and then he said he and a friend we're heading off to the South and I was welcome to ride along…… Yeeaah! It was a nice mix of main and backroads touring through towns, pasture land and mountain/river valleys - perfect Vermont. The best part was watching the two beemers cutting arcs before me on the two lane black ribbon draped along the meadows and hillsides. I would have liked to have ridden further, but daylight was short and the GPS was indicating I'd be home just about dark. With a thankful wave off, I turned West into another sweet set of turns on Rt 140.

A day or so later, MsLizVt snapped the tag shot of the garage and set the new one about as far West as the general public can go in the state. This tag came with a thoughtfully chosen sign, Welcome to Vermont. Very cool! Since that tag setting about a month ago, I've been eyeing the weather and my project schedule to get back up there and grab it. About two weeks ago, I made a break in the work and was all set to go, only to see the weather change that morning with a fairly wide band of snow moving across the area……. drats! I pulled the battery again from the scoot and set to watching the dance of weather and work for the next window.

This time last week, the weather was looking unseasonably warm with highs in the upper 40's for Friday into the weekend. I figured Friday (the last day of the year to ride) would be the time to go and also that perhaps another rider or two would be heading for it as well. I put the warm battery in around 8 and brought the little V to life with a bit of coaxing…

With the little V finishing warm up, I took a few moments to hummonically align myself with the twin pulses...... yeah Riiiight... a little freeze frame action by the missus while I do a helmet wiggle adjustment.

I headed North along Rt 9 and stopped by frozen Lake luzerne.

Kids at play.

Dinner on the rise.

I motored further North working along backroads and passed by Upper Penfield Pond in Ironville, NY

Road conditions were not too bad except for the salt.

Ironville, NY

Side roads were a bit more adventurous...

Weathered in.

Had to stop to get this pic for the illusion... brought to mind Hot Wheels ramps of my youth... No launching today though.

Winter shadows

Pretty stout build on this surviving chimney.

Looking North up Trimble Rd near Crown Point to snow capped peaks in the Adirondack Park.

Hobo's lullaby

Westward view over stilled fields

My journey in NY is about to come to an end as I turn the final leg North and head up to the site of the former Crown Point Bridge connecting NY to VT. Here is a You Tube vid link that has some really nice pics to illustrate the scale and condition of the structure that stood and served for 80 yrs.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT8JTBwE5SY

And a You Tube link to the Dec. 28, 2009 demolition.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fVgLuTV2kU

In the bridges absence, a ferry crossing was quickly created to keep the vital connection flowing.

Pier construction on the Vermont shore.

Two ferries operate at the half mile crossing - takes about 15 minutes.

View to the North over the former bridge site.

Making the connections.

Clear water at the ferry crossing, but lake ice not too far North and South.

Necking cranes at the waters edge... no Ruby Throated Bedthrashers or Harry Chested Nut Scratchers though.....

Foundation work on the Vermont shore.

Moments from landing.

Farm house just up from the ferry landing....

.... with barn/garage behind....

....and views of the Adirondack Mts across the lake.

Shortly after crossing over and heading South, I came across some ice boaters and arrived just in time to snap a couple of launch pics.

The very friendly Irish Setter following along is aptly named "trailer"....

.... and these were a couple of his owners boats for today's play.

Winter.... make the most of it.

I rode over to Middlebury to post my pic for the VT TOR and stopped by on the return to snap a couple of shots along RT 125. Distant view of the Adirondacks.

Road side repose.

Frozen folds of Vermont gold.

Back on the ferry heading over to NY. I had front row seating both crossings.

I motored South on RT 9N along Lake Champlain and then to Lake George. It had been a long time since I had traveled this route and had forgotten how beautiful it is. This shot and the next are just above Bolton landing at one of the very few scenic pull outs.

Hope you enjoyed this bit of Day Trippin'. To pick up the play of how the Vermont Tag turned out, jump over to page 128 where this story ties in. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...85694&page=128 Enjoy, Rich

AdvRich screwed with this post 01-08-2011 at 08:56 AM Reason: You tube link mod
AdvRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,320
Good to see you're still able to ride in the middle of winter in the northeast!
Old 01-12-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
AdvRich OP
Parallel Reality

Thanks GB.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:55 AM   #4
B_B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
It's always a pleasure to see people travel with motorbikes no matter what the weather is.
Nice photos too. Well done mate.
B_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:34 AM   #5
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
great ride report
the pictures are terrific
thanks for sharing with us

wish i'd been there
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:34 AM   #6
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_B View Post
It's always a pleasure to see people travel with motorbikes no matter what the weather is.
Amen to that....
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
AdvRich OP
Parallel Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_B View Post
Nice photos too. Well done mate.
Thanks B_B. So true... Cheers, Rich
Old 01-13-2011, 06:10 PM   #8
AdvRich OP
Parallel Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW View Post
great ride report
the pictures are terrific
thanks for sharing with us

wish i'd been there
Thanks ClearwaterBMW. Sure thing, glad you enjoyed it. Give a holler if you get up this way… Rich