Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2011, 09:47 AM   #31
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefrider View Post
fixed!

To restore to original is an oxymoron.....

Tom in Salem
One can SOMETIMES find all the original parts for a vintage machine....or sometimes they are all there. I guess in a real sense, new or re-finish is NOT original so I see your point!
Old 01-05-2011, 10:20 AM   #32
Yarddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
Depends. Not all low mileage ex police bikes are BS. They can get surveyed if the Dept. changes brands. They can also get surveyed strictly based on age by some depts. Sometimes depts make mistakes when they order and some bikes don't get put into service. Or somebody uses the bike as personal transportation. These are the exceptions of course but it does happen. Most depts take good care of their bikes so I wouldn't be as concerned with a high mileage bike from a PD as I would with one from a civilian.

I'd look at the over all condition of things like the hand grips, the floor boards, and the seat. A 23,000 mile seat will look way different than a 123,000 mile seat.

I really like that TZ episode myself.
While this may be true, it's MUCH more likely that it has the max miles on it! That's the percentage that the prospective buyer should play...also, with the OP adding that a lot of wear items have been replaced, I'd agree with the gentleman who wrote that it's more likely that this bike has 123,000 miles...It doesn't mean that it's worthless, but this means that the prospective buyer absolutely must consider that this bike needs its engine rebuilt!!!

Bottom line is that this bike might have a lotta miles left in it, but it MUST be considered as a project bike...out here, there are some bikes advertised that have considerably LESS miles on them, haven't been beat half to death on the road, haven't been left idling for long periods on hot summer days, etc...and those bikes are going for $6,000 to $7,000 all day long...

Personally, were it me, I'd definitely consider this bike to buy, but I'd be offering no more than $5K, and less, if I could...go take a look, offer what you think is a fair price, but make sure that the fairness is skewed in YOUR favor... if the seller doesn't take you up on it, and if you are offering what I think you should, he won't, then kick back...

Wait for about three weeks, call the seller back, and either repeat your offer, or reduce it by a couple hundred bux... This is a buyer's market, it's very likely that all the other prospective buyers know this and are making their offers accordingly, and the seller might be getting a little weary...

If the buyer is overly proud of this bike, he'll be hanging on to it...
Yarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #33
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarddog View Post
While this may be true, it's MUCH more likely that it has the max miles on it! That's the percentage that the prospective buyer should play...also, with the OP adding that a lot of wear items have been replaced, I'd agree with the gentleman who wrote that it's more likely that this bike has 123,000 miles...
So are agreeing with me or disagreeing?

What's your take on the TZ episode?

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:42 PM   #34
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:

Personally, I never saw a vintage TZ I didn't like. I have about twenty recorded on the DVR.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:43 PM   #35
Yarddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Neither agreeing nor disagreeing...simply expanded upon my earlier comments...But if I was leaning either way, I'd say that that police bike probably has 123XXX miles on it...

As far as TZ, I haven't watched one in years, didn't check this one out either, so I'll take yer word on it...
Old 01-05-2011, 03:11 PM   #36
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarddog View Post
Neither agreeing nor disagreeing...simply expanded upon my earlier comments...But if I was leaning either way, I'd say that that police bike probably has 123XXX miles on it...

As far as TZ, I haven't watched one in years, didn't check this one out either, so I'll take yer word on it...

I am amused.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #37
noelm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefrider View Post
fixed!

To restore to original is an oxymoron.....

Tom in Salem
Correction noted. Here's another photo; this one resurrected.

noelm screwed with this post 09-26-2013 at 12:50 AM
noelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:47 AM   #38
Center-stand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
More hijack, or deeper into my personal TZ

The story went something like this. Bike is a '96, not a '93. Was leased to Port St. Luci for two years. Purchased by citizen from dealer in '99 with 4900 miles. Kept for a few years sold to friend. Has been to the Rockies twice and other trips in the south east to boost the mileage to 23,000+.

The two owners / friends, included the bike in a trade for a Motorhome / tailgater from a friend of mine. He has a Harley, offered me this one.

It looks and sounds good. No oil dripping. Shifts smooth. A little corrosion / dulling on the bright parts one would expect from a seaside home but very little rust and no signs of coverup. Tires have good tread but are dryrotted / cracked, suggests the bike has been getting very little use the last couple of years.

Even though I can get into the bike resonable, (no more than 5 grand) I can't get excited about it.

I'm waiting now on title searches from Fl and Ga where it was most recently titled.
Center-stand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:27 AM   #39
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco Kid View Post
Depends on a person's definitions of those two words. "Restore" seems to mean anything from fixing up an old car to running condition (wrong engine, but who cares if it runs good) to taking the car back to showroom condition. "Original" seems mean the vehicle has correct parts like it had in the showroom, but it's not necessarily in good condition. I've seen rusty, non-running vehicles that were described as "original".
Ah, but one can and will argue that it isn't Original unless it is in the condition it was when it came from the factory.....that word can be well argued. In my op, it is original if all the parts are on it from the factory save for the wear parts like brake pads or shoes, cables, tyres and chains if they have chains.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:30 AM   #40
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 2,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco Kid View Post
Depends on a person's definitions of those two words. ...
Isn't that what dictionarys are for? Those things are chock full o' definitions, thus absolving me of the need to make up my own.
drhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #41
noelm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Maybe I should have said 'restored to original condition', rather than "restored to original"???? Anyway, given this thread is all about Harleys in twilight zone, lets see a few more photos!

noelm screwed with this post 01-13-2011 at 03:44 PM Reason: spelling
noelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:02 AM   #42
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,448
The cop bikes around here are leased for 2 years. I've picked up two in the past with less than 7K on them.

They are great machines.

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:42 AM   #43
Center-stand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Port St. Lucie PD could not give specific info for the bike in question but, said in the mid and late 90's most bikes were kept only one year and went back to the dealer with less than 10,000 miles. Seems all their M/C cops have a car and a bike and never ride the bike after sundown.

I've made a deal, just waiting for the weather to break to pick it up. My first Harley, if I don't count the 250 Sprint I had in the 70's. If I don't like it, I am into it cheap enough to pass it on quickly.
Center-stand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:48 AM   #44
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,456
threadjacked
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:10 AM   #45
Yarddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Center-stand View Post
Port St. Lucie PD could not give specific info for the bike in question but, said in the mid and late 90's most bikes were kept only one year and went back to the dealer with less than 10,000 miles. Seems all their M/C cops have a car and a bike and never ride the bike after sundown.

I've made a deal, just waiting for the weather to break to pick it up. My first Harley, if I don't count the 250 Sprint I had in the 70's. If I don't like it, I am into it cheap enough to pass it on quickly.
Based upon what you said you paid for it, it sounds like a VERY good deal if the facts are bona fide! Good luck!