User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
jhynesrockmtn OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Possible 95 R100GSPD?

I'm a complete newbie to the site. I currently ride a 93 VFR750 around town on some longer street trips, etc. and have a CR250R for more serious dirt stuff but would love to get more into some adventure style rides. Seattle to Alaska is on the someday list but there are plenty of places around WA/OR/ID, etc. to explore. My GF's brother has a 95 R100GSPD he is selling. I don't know much about it yet. He's bought a new or newish F800GS to replace it with. Is this a worthy first adventure bike? Is it too old to take on longer trips? Am I going to kick myself not holding out for something more modern? Price range for something in good condition? The brakes look anemic on the thing. I'm trying to do some research but thought I'd throw this out there and get some comments.

Cheers, Jerry
jhynesrockmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhynesrockmtn View Post
I'm a complete newbie to the site. I currently ride a 93 VFR750 around town on some longer street trips, etc. and have a CR250R for more serious dirt stuff but would love to get more into some adventure style rides. Seattle to Alaska is on the someday list but there are plenty of places around WA/OR/ID, etc. to explore. My GF's brother has a 95 R100GSPD he is selling. I don't know much about it yet. He's bought a new or newish F800GS to replace it with. Is this a worthy first adventure bike? Is it too old to take on longer trips? Am I going to kick myself not holding out for something more modern? Price range for something in good condition? The brakes look anemic on the thing. I'm trying to do some research but thought I'd throw this out there and get some comments.

Cheers, Jerry
If you just want to ride, get something newer
If you want to know what your riding and can fix things if they break get the GS

This bike properly sorted will last 100s of thousands of miles

Great bike, but no where near mtnce free.
If you are truly not handy (don't be cocky and think you are if you have any doubt) don't get this bike. Far too many noobs come into airhead ownership, and in the first minor repair they COMPLETELY destroy the engine because of an oversight.

I am blunt, but honest. If you have specific questions we can answer.
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:13 PM   #3
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,647
Good bikes and easy to maintain if you have decent to good mechanical ability. Pretty easy to fix w/ basic knowledge, well this is coming from a guy who has been tinkering w/ cars and bikes for quite while though. No a fast motorcycle, handling is good for fire roads and dirt roads, but not too extreme even though some have been put into extreme situations. They can plug away all day at highway speeds getting anywhere from 35-47 mpg, 38-42 mpg being average. They do have some problem areas, drive shafts last from a low of 40K to high of 75K which is pushing it), can be rebuilt to better than new and last quite a bit longer. Charging systems are adequet w/ no accessories are used, if using lights or heated gear you'll need to upgrade ($500-600 parts)
No to many special tools to take for roadside repairs unless something catastrophic. The motors are very long lasting if maintained, i.e. regular maintenance. Parts are easy to come by, but a little more than Jap bikes, plenty of used parts out there, but people know what they have usually in setting prices.

If you want to upgrade brakes I have a 4 pot brembo kit (SS line, caliper and pads $245), which is a good upgrade.

More than capable for the rides you describe, I've got over 100K on a G/S and would take it anywhere today as is, but it's been gone through thoroughly. Of course I like tinkering on it. Here on ADV is one of the best support groups for the Airhead Sickness. GSPD's are very desirable bikes and hold there value pretty well.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #4
jhynesrockmtn OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the replies so far. I need to get a better look at his bike, probably this weekend. Craig is a pilot and takes good care of his stuff. It's had PIAA lights installed so I'm assuming some upgrade on the electrical system but need to verify mileage, condition, aftermarket add ons, asking price, etc. If it helps, I race old VW powered vintage cars and drive an old 911 much of the year. I have done brakes and other repairs/service on them but know when to take it to someone who can do the job right and quick. I adjust the valves on my 1200 each race weekend but take the 911 in for that. I could do it, just don't want to screw up that motor or spend the weekend under the thing.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #5
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,813
Quote:
Thanks for the replies so far. I need to get a better look at his bike, probably this weekend. Craig is a pilot and takes good care of his stuff. It's had PIAA lights installed so I'm assuming some upgrade on the electrical system but need to verify mileage, condition, aftermarket add ons, asking price, etc. If it helps, I race old VW powered vintage cars and drive an old 911 much of the year. I have done brakes and other repairs/service on them but know when to take it to someone who can do the job right and quick. I adjust the valves on my 1200 each race weekend but take the 911 in for that. I could do it, just don't want to screw up that motor or spend the weekend under the thing.

Sound like a good bike. Pilots are a bit OCD on stuff...I am one
You sound like a good candidate to own one too. Willing to tinker a bit, but also willing to take it to someone when your abilities are exceeded. Heck I would say get it.
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:19 PM   #6
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,766
nice bikes they ride much much nicer than they look!Issues are known.I have had mine for two years now.First year was trouble free 2 nd year has been trying.(beancan,diode board,starter trouble which lead to battery trouble)They will be slow compared to your honda.Brakes are poor.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:41 PM   #7
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,060
for the same price you will pay for decent R100GSPD you have your choice of a whole bunch of different newer machines.

Which one you will be happy with depends on what you want the bike for.

I own an R100GS and an VStrom 650.
These bikes are worth just about the same give or take a few hundred dollars.

If I was to leave today on a trip to Alaska i'd take the Vstrom.

If I could only keep one bike of these two it would be the R100GS.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:29 AM   #8
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,508
Like Squish I have 2 bikes a R80GS & 08 KLR650. Both are great for what they're designed for which is travelling.

If I would be doing your ride I'd take the newer more reliable bike myself - just for that peace of mind.I have my airhead for tinkering & the cool factor.

Since you brought it up so technicaly not a thread hijack - could you please post some pics of your vintage VW & old 911? If I lived in the States I'd have to get into desert VW racing
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:03 AM   #9
Ullr
C+ Racing

Oddometer: 264
I bought my R100GSPD sight unseen, flew down and drove it 4000 miles home to Alaska in 6 days. Been driving it like it was stolen ever since and never had a bit of trouble. I wouldn't trade it for any new bike and hope to buy another this summmer.
Ullr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:34 AM   #10
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,514
Quote:
Well the fact that you have the brains and common sense to pay someone to have the valves adjusted on your 911 means you are at least capable of some critical thinking. ... I have 88 911 and there is no way I'm doing that with my hands. But I did tear my old airhead down to pieces last winter and put it back together and that wasn't too hard.
The fact that the motor alone on my 911 is worth 2x what my G/S does helps with that too.

Best of luck. They are good bikes and if you can start with a well maintained unit you're going to have a blast.

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:15 AM   #11
jhynesrockmtn OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Since you brought it up so technicaly not a thread hijack - could you please post some pics of your vintage VW & old 911? If I lived in the States I'd have to get into desert VW racing
Let's see if I can figure this out. The racecar is a 68 Zink Formula Vee I race in a vintage group, the 911 is one of 2 SC's I have. This is the more stock of the two. The other is a more dedicated track car. The last pic is my VFR up in the Cascades to keep this somewhat on topic for a motorcycle forum.