ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 05:31 AM   #1
alexcorral OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
alexcorral's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Danbury, CT
Oddometer: 1,282
Sunday ride in the Andes

I had started our on this track (route to a couple of lagoons at nearly 11,000 feet) a month ago but had turned around half way because I did not know the way and I was riding alone (only met two mountain bikers on the way).



It starts out at about 3,300 ft and it ends up in the lagoons at 10,725 ft.



This time around I asked a rider to come along. I met Paulo on a Motorrad off-road course we took last weekend. He had been on this route 5 years ago and at least we I wouldn't be riding solo.



This fellow joined us for about twnety minutes during the begining of the ride. It's a Condor: largest flying land bird.



So this time we made it to the lagoons after a two hour ride up



There is still some snow left at this altitude



It was colder than what I'm used to ride (6 C)



I dropped my bike for the first time on this ride. Dropped it 4 times, but only the first one hurt. On my second drop I lost a flasher :(



This is where it happened. It was in slow motion as the front wheel washed under me on some loose rocks.



Further up the climb there were two KLRs which did not make it all the way to the top and where walking their bikes up one by one.



So I finally made it to the Lagoons in The Wind (as they are called) but realized I need to get me some Karoos or TKC80s for these rides. The Anakees had been just fine on unpaved roads but were really bad on this turf.

__________________
2014 BMW R1200 GS Adventure
2014 KTM 350EXC-F
2013 Harley Davidson 1200 Custom 110th Anniversary
alexcorral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:14 AM   #2
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual
 
Motoriley's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Deepest darkest burbs of Montreal
Oddometer: 2,673
Beauty!

Nice ride. Get some engine guards like the Adventure Spec and you won't scratch up your ride. A skidplate wouldn't hurt either. Real tires really transform the bike. Incredible scenery. Fill out your profile so we know where you are riding. At least you still made it where KLRs fear to tread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcorral View Post
I had started our on this track (route to a couple of lagoons at nearly 11,000 feet) a month ago but had turned around half way because I did not know the way and I was riding alone (only met two mountain bikers on the way).



It starts out at about 3,300 ft and it ends up in the lagoons at 10,725 ft.



This time around I asked a rider to come along. I met Paulo on a Motorrad off-road course we took last weekend. He had been on this route 5 years ago and at least we I wouldn't be riding solo.



This fellow joined us for about twnety minutes during the begining of the ride. It's a Condor: largest flying land bird.



So this time we made it to the lagoons after a two hour ride up



There is still some snow left at this altitude



It was colder than what I'm used to ride (6 C)



I dropped my bike for the first time on this ride. Dropped it 4 times, but only the first one hurt. On my second drop I lost a flasher :(



This is where it happened. It was in slow motion as the front wheel washed under me on some loose rocks.



Further up the climb there were two KLRs which did not make it all the way to the top and where walking their bikes up one by one.



So I finally made it to the Lagoons in The Wind (as they are called) but realized I need to get me some Karoos or TKC80s for these rides. The Anakees had been just fine on unpaved roads but were really bad on this turf.

__________________
04 Toyota Sienna, new wipers for 2011!!
Electricity (120 AC), Indoor Plumbing, new kitchen tap for 2010!!!
Color tube TV, Microwave Oven (yes she rotates!),Washer & Dryer,Paved Driveway,
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
alexcorral OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
alexcorral's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Danbury, CT
Oddometer: 1,282
Quote:
Nice ride. Get some engine guards like the Adventure Spec and you won't scratch up your ride. A skidplate wouldn't hurt either. Real tires really transform the bike. Incredible scenery. Fill out your profile so we know where you are riding. At least you still made it where KLRs fear to tread.
As they say, hindsight is 20/20. I kept saying to myself: I should have gotten the engine guards

The plastic skid plate on the bike was replaced under warranty after I tore the original one off on another rocky (or should I say rockier) ride. I was also thinking on getting an aluminum skid plate with more coverage.

We crossed several off road bikes (KTM EXCs, Yamaha WRs, Suzuki DRs) which are perfect for the short ride. They all thought we were crazy to go up there on the F800s, carrying 100 more kilograms in bike weight and with the street tires. In the end we made it just the same

I'll get working on my profile update
__________________
2014 BMW R1200 GS Adventure
2014 KTM 350EXC-F
2013 Harley Davidson 1200 Custom 110th Anniversary
alexcorral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:07 AM   #4
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy
 
Gaston Gagne's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Western Piedmont, NC
Oddometer: 1,961
Nice scenery.
__________________
Cela est comment nous roulons.
Gaston Gagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:50 AM   #5
rctr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: richmond va
Oddometer: 436
thanks for sharing!
__________________
09 klr 650 (nikita)
rctr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:25 AM   #6
achesley
Old Motorcyclist
 
achesley's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Jennings, Louisiana
Oddometer: 3,426
What a way to ride that 800. Love it! Uhhhhh I would think it was more rider problem than the KLR not being able. Thanks for bringing us along.
__________________

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:46 AM   #7
3sum
local Triumph fanboy
 
3sum's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Locust Grove, GA
Oddometer: 130
Simply gorgeous.
3sum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:56 AM   #8
alexcorral OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
alexcorral's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Danbury, CT
Oddometer: 1,282
Quote:
What a way to ride that 800. Love it! Uhhhhh I would think it was more rider problem than the KLR not being able. Thanks for bringing us along.
Having had a KLR650 I can definitely say it was the rider and not the bike

We have a saying in spanish that loosely translates to "It's the indian, not the canoe"
__________________
2014 BMW R1200 GS Adventure
2014 KTM 350EXC-F
2013 Harley Davidson 1200 Custom 110th Anniversary
alexcorral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #9
Andino
Roaming Expat
 
Andino's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Bavaria
Oddometer: 34
So, where exactly between Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta/Colombia and Cabo de Hornos/Chile did you do your "Sunday ride in the Andes"?
Saludos desde el Ecuador,
Andino
__________________
Here today - up and off to somewhere else tomorrow!
(Mr. Toad)
Andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:36 AM   #10
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual
 
Motoriley's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Deepest darkest burbs of Montreal
Oddometer: 2,673
KLRin'

Hey guys I was just joking! I've had 2 KLRs. There are days when I'm picking up the 800 I wish I still had one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcorral View Post
Having had a KLR650 I can definitely say it was the rider and not the bike

We have a saying in spanish that loosely translates to "It's the indian, not the canoe"
__________________
04 Toyota Sienna, new wipers for 2011!!
Electricity (120 AC), Indoor Plumbing, new kitchen tap for 2010!!!
Color tube TV, Microwave Oven (yes she rotates!),Washer & Dryer,Paved Driveway,
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:32 PM   #11
alexcorral OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
alexcorral's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Danbury, CT
Oddometer: 1,282
Quote:
Hey guys I was just joking! I've had 2 KLRs. There are days when I'm picking up the 800 I wish I still had one
I didn't quite like the KLR. It was too big for the nasty stuff and not comfortable enough for the long rides... Riding only 1 bike the F800 is perfect for me. Best bike I've ever had (I'm on my second one).

Hopefully in Panama I'll get a 1200GS and a KTM450XCR and enjoy each one on it's own turf
__________________
2014 BMW R1200 GS Adventure
2014 KTM 350EXC-F
2013 Harley Davidson 1200 Custom 110th Anniversary
alexcorral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:46 PM   #12
alexcorral OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
alexcorral's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Danbury, CT
Oddometer: 1,282
Quote:
So, where exactly between Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta/Colombia and Cabo de Hornos/Chile did you do your "Sunday ride in the Andes"?
Saludos desde el Ecuador,
Andino
Exactamente aqui

__________________
2014 BMW R1200 GS Adventure
2014 KTM 350EXC-F
2013 Harley Davidson 1200 Custom 110th Anniversary
alexcorral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:17 PM   #13
GB
Mod Squad
 
GB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Oddometer: 55,848
Beautiful ride!! We don't see much of the Andes on here... so be sure to share more of your rides here
__________________
ADV decals, patches & flag? Here
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #14
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual
 
Motoriley's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Deepest darkest burbs of Montreal
Oddometer: 2,673
Yup

Exactly why I don't own one now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcorral View Post
I didn't quite like the KLR. It was too big for the nasty stuff and not comfortable enough for the long rides... Riding only 1 bike the F800 is perfect for me. Best bike I've ever had (I'm on my second one).

Hopefully in Panama I'll get a 1200GS and a KTM450XCR and enjoy each one on it's own turf
__________________
04 Toyota Sienna, new wipers for 2011!!
Electricity (120 AC), Indoor Plumbing, new kitchen tap for 2010!!!
Color tube TV, Microwave Oven (yes she rotates!),Washer & Dryer,Paved Driveway,
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:49 PM   #15
alexcorral OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
alexcorral's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Danbury, CT
Oddometer: 1,282
Quote:
Beautiful ride!! We don't see much of the Andes on here... so be sure to share more of your rides here
This Weekend it´ll be another day trip to Black Lagoon. Another high altitude lagoon in the Andes (but farther south)... I'll make sure to take some pics to post.
__________________
2014 BMW R1200 GS Adventure
2014 KTM 350EXC-F
2013 Harley Davidson 1200 Custom 110th Anniversary
alexcorral is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014