User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
yzfcathy OP
Weeble

Oddometer: 1,184
FOOD for thought TUS / PHX riders

So, after a great weekend of riding fun (thanks to HoosierDaddy) we headed home with our visitiors Megan from PHX and Doug from Steamboat Springs. Skip said he'd make a little bite to eat.

Megan said something about having to hit the road (maybe she had to feed her cats) so Skip put her plate back in the freezer and we ate up.

Cathy's Dumb Solo Ride
The John Penton Story, Movie project
yzfcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
yzfcathy OP
Weeble

Oddometer: 1,184
Someone had to start it....

I was hoping someone would have already beat me to posting up a TUS/PHX thread, but I haven't seen it yet so here goes...
Cathy's Dumb Solo Ride
The John Penton Story, Movie project
yzfcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:51 AM   #3
advjackass
orange crusher

Oddometer: 928
All I can say is Megan should have stayed for diner! Wow, surf and turf.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:02 AM   #4
phxman
"Rocks are my Friends"

Oddometer: 268
Awesome weekend of riding and getting acquainted in the Old Pueblo! BIG THANKS to HoosierTrailMaster for setting this up and getting everything organized. It was great meeting everyone and being able to put a face with the screen names. Now when I think of bacon...I see Big E

The Charlouleau Gap ride was a blast and for the most part just fun flowing jeep road. The Creek Crossings and short icy section definately made it interesting though and I did manage to drop the bike a couple of times. The ride back after lunch at Oracle Inn was even better since I knew what to expect, although riding in the water while looking into the sun made seeing big rocks and holes interesting. All good stuff though and that route is definately on my "do again" list.

Sundays Chiva ride was even better and I definately want to go back and explore more of that area. The big water bars were a hoot and I think I found the altitude limit for the 450 on one of them. The yzfcathy water crossing was definately interesting. We followed Skip through the sand and boulders to the crossing and I was very glad to have heard Cathy say the water was lower than usual. I still managed to burble the engine though but managed to keep it running. The trail section at the end of the loop was alot of fun and a perfect way to end the day. Sounds like there is alot out that way I've not seen so I'll definately be back for more.

Cheers to the Tucson inmates for the great riding and excellent hospitality. Phoenix inmates were definately impressed
AZOHVC
phxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:42 AM   #5
BIG-E
AKA; Mongo-E

Oddometer: 1,930
Did someone say BACON??

WOW, what a weekend! A huge thank you to everyone!!

We need to do this again Soon!!
BIG-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:30 PM   #6
advjackass
orange crusher

Oddometer: 928
Day 1

I did not take that many on our ride to lunch, but here is two of the better ones.

Cathty making it look easy!

Allen getting it done!

Richard taking care of business.

Our fearless leader!

more to come.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:10 PM   #7
ybracing
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
What A Fun Weekend!

The sun awakened and the staging area came alive.

I was impressed to see a couple of guys from Canada show up for the ride.

We were suited up and ready to roll when a bunch of locals rode up. It looked like a healthy group, only time would tell. After a brief rider meeting we took off towards Charouleau Gap (pronounced: shar-lou).

It was a slow pace right up to when my bike lost drive. Let’s see, that was about 5 minutes into the ride. Now, I hate being “that guy”. We all know him, bike breaks down as soon as the ride starts only to set a foot dragging pace for the rest of the day. Well today was my turn to be “that guy”.

I only have a thousand or so miles on that chain but one thing is for sure, I found the weakest link. It took me about 10 minutes to repair and get on my way. Just long enough for the sweep crew to start journeying back after thinking I was taking pictures on the trail. Which I was.

Now with that out of the way it was time to get serious about the ride. I don’t know a lot of women that ride off road but I am very impressed with Megan and Cathy. Here is Megan on her 690 Enduro. I know about one hundred guys that could not ride a big bike like that through the stuff Megan went through.

And that was the easy stuff!
Here was the show stopper for many.

I am not sure how many we lost at this point but I think it is a great idea to throw something out there in the beginning of the ride to wake you up and weed out the guys before they become “that guy”.

Throw in a little ice.

And a nice little technical step up and the thinning out process is complete.

I love this picture. It is HoosierTrailMaster (expedition leader) shocked at seeing Megan get her 690 over the step up. Yeah, that girl can ride.

Some people make it look so easy.

Just so everyone that was wondering knows, yes, I dropped it just before the hard part. Go figure.
We reached the top of the gap and huddled up for a game plan and a head count. Going down the other side of the mountain was the plan. The trip down was uneventful until we got to the next obstacle. I can ride rocks pretty well but I get real nervous when you add water. And that is if you are just crossing it not running down stream in it.

There were several lines down this river. One of which was over a big boulder and dropping off the other side.

This was the other one. I am not sure why they called him a cheater, I like the way this guy thinks.

Uh, you are supposed to turn right at that rock Big-E.

He got it!

I carry several power bars and such in my pack in case I lose energy along the way but BACON! I have seen everything now. It seems that Cathy carries bacon in her pack in case one of her out of town guest should need encouragement.

We cruised along on this fun jeep trail to the next obstacle. A steep up hill with small step ups. I did not get any pictures of this but it was an interesting obstacle. Some one else will have pictures of it.
Ah, finally we get to the lunch stop.

Seven of us decided to take the same route back. The pace was moderate and with the exception of HTM landing on his keyster once, there were no other incidents. It sure seemed easier going back. Sorry no pictures on the return route. I was busy running sweep and trying to stay alive.

We had dinner at the Red Garter Bar & Grill Saloon that night.

The owners were gracious enough to put the Phoenix Super Cross on the big screen for us. Good food, libation and entertainment. What a great day!

Sunday rolled around early, so I fell out of bed and managed to load up my truck and get to the Red Garter for breakfast.
Let me tell you a little about Allen (Yardstick). He is a forward thinking man. Instead of being “that guy” he gets a flat in the back of the truck and repairs it before breakfast. Some guys will do anything not to be “that guy”.

What’s wrong with this picture? Is the tube to big and the wheel to small or Big-E has chicken legs. LOL

Once again the owners took care of us by making huge breakfast burritos (not serving breakfast at 7:30am). Now, on to the staging area.

After a brief tarmac run and a run to the out house, we started down the Jeep road towards ChivaFalls. I would say it was typical of what you would see in Moab. A lot of rock mixed with hard packed dirt with an abundance of step ups and downs. Today there were two groups one going the easier way and the way we went. We had a moderate pace going and everyone seemed dialed in today. Here is one of our gatherings for the day.

These are the creek crossings that I like.

Big-E cursing along with our Canadian friend crossing the creek.

This is why Cathy makes the big bucks. If you look close, she is flying the bike.

We did manage to get a glimpse of the headless horseman. I guess these days horses are obsolete.

HTM thought it would be a good idea to take us through a nasty rock garden then across a creek. Like we did not see enough water yesterday? I did not get any pictures of the rock garden so someone will have to share theirs. HTM lost the upper shock bold when he dropped his bike in the garden. I say lost only because it fell out. He quickly recovered it and made the repair. Locktite please! I did manage to get video of some of the riders crossing the creek. I will only post one here. Follow the link at the bottom for more.

It was decided to skip seeing ChivaFalls because of time restraints so we continued on to the single track. You have to understand that their single track is a quad track that is identical to the jeep trails around the area. It was fun, flowing with step ups and downs. After a road crossing the second group meet up with us on the single track. It was then that I spotted the zebra with a broken tail_____________pipe.

I’ve seen worse. Apparently this was the second repair because the wood used in the first repair broke. As you can see another one was added along with another mile of bailing wire. Ah, brings back memories of my childhood with make shift repairs of bailing wire, bubble gum and dirt.
The last gathering spot before heading back to the staging area and then to an Irish pub.

I had a great weekend full of interesting and talented people, new and exciting places to go, things I have never seen before and two days on a motorcycle. Life is good!

I would like to thank Allyn and the rest of the Tucson gang for putting on such a great ride. There are a few more pictures and videos here:

http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ybracing/Tucson%20Ride%2001-15-11/
ybracing is offline   Reply With Quote