Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2011, 05:09 PM   #31
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,236
Man this thread went south fast. Mine was on page 40 before I started getting crocodiles with lazer beam eyeballs and Mongolion choirs Sorry for the hijack, man!

I remember Stagehand talking about working on his 'standing position' one time and it popped in my head while I was riding today. I had never thought about how the ergos were standing up. Of course, he's probably never thought about the ergos sitting down

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:43 PM   #32
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,209
Haha! Fastways, here. Bring the brake and shifter up till they are roughly the same height as the top pf the footpeg. Thats what seems to feel best. I have them set up so that the outsides of the peg are a little higher, making my knees angle towards the bike a little bit, rather than level or tipped away. They are not significantly lower than stock, but are wide as a milk crate.

Its still pretty much about my racing effort, such as that is. Everything done to the bike, and by now I've either fixed something, or kept working on it till it was broke just about everything, so I thought it would be fun to keep you appraised of the work and maintenance to fun and riding ratio. I encourage off topic banter. I also encourage on topic stuff because I assure you- I have questions unanswered.

Bgood- if youre not going to race this year, you can ride the same roads any point up to or right after. No recce for me for 90 days prior, but they run the same roads, generally, so by now I am getting to know the first little bit of each stage before I shut my eyes up tight about a mile in I'll even give you the route sheet they give us and let you follow it. One second thought, there are a couple of parts that are technically run through state land and are otherwise off limits to vehicular travel, but thats a pretty small proportion.

Matt, I'll buy your T-shirt for you if you can land an egg on me

K-san man- Got your PM, I'll hit you back. I appreciate the offer, and why the hell not.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:43 PM   #33
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Quote:
Matt, I'll buy your T-shirt for you if you can land an egg on me
oh heck yeah! Come on, Matt. Between you, me and the kids I bet we land enough on him to pack a Wal-Mart

Quote:
Haha! Fastways, here. Bring the brake and shifter up till they are roughly the same height as the top pf the footpeg. Thats what seems to feel best. I have them set up so that the outsides of the peg are a little higher, making my knees angle towards the bike a little bit, rather than level or tipped away. They are not significantly lower than stock, but are wide as a milk crate.
Hey thanks for that. See, I wasn't hijacking after all. I remember how wide yours felt compared to mine. I wished I'd payed more attention to it.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:49 PM   #34
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
I thought this thread was about Stagehand's race effort?

Who the hell is stagehand?
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:59 PM   #35
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew View Post
har har hur
Old 01-21-2011, 08:20 PM   #36
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew View Post

That's what the shirts, mugs, caps, etc. need to say. Just a quote on them.

"Who the hell is Stagehand?"

It'd be like "Who is Salt?" Manufactured curiosity. I love it! The upshot of the Stagehand ploy is that once people actually find out who he is, they'd find him even more interesting, unlike that dog pile of a movie.

Ok Jason, I gotta get me another old GS, and join the Stagehand race team!!

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:25 AM   #37
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc View Post

That's what the shirts, mugs, caps, etc. need to say. Just a quote on them.

"Who the hell is Stagehand?"

It'd be like "Who is Salt?" Manufactured curiosity. I love it! The upshot of the Stagehand ploy is that once people actually find out who he is, they'd find him even more interesting, unlike that dog pile of a movie.

Ok Jason, I gotta get me another old GS, and join the Stagehand race team!!

dc

Dan, will we have the pleasure of your company at Sandblast this year? If not, I hope we'll meet up over the summer, before Black River..

Here are some recent shots I promised.

She sits and waits.

Current lighting setup-- hope Max doesnt mind too much

PIAA 510's I think. 55w each... and between them and the heated grips/gear, I am overtaxing the charging system.

But they are finally in a spot where I'm least liable to break them in a crash, and the higher they are they better for forward viewing. I have some tape on the perimeter because the glare is fierce... my friend Andrew fabricated some really cool half eyelash looking things for the top of his, but I just stuck some tape on them after my fashion.

Still a frickin mess:

JUst did the shifter bushing, and replaced the shifter linkages, and the shifter shaft seal. ALso replaced the oil pressure switch, neutral safety and the harness, as I said. Finally also got a new rubber footpeg, that only took twoyears.

You can see the muffler clamp turned up and hidden behind the shifter stuff...

You can see where the SoloLobo Float Bowl Tether (tm) has finally kinda flaked out.. it fatigued out of the upper terminal. I love the idea of these things, but the one time I hadto take the float bowl off it was full of gas I was in a stream.. I really wanted to be able to take the float bowl away, but there was no quick disconnect... I have not felt the burning need to fix this.

The disconnects for the lights run up the right hand roobar.

Stagehand screwed with this post 01-22-2011 at 06:42 AM
Stagehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:35 AM   #38
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,813
You know, looking at that GSPD gets me thinking. A bike used that much and that worn is as nice as a perfectly restored model that never gets dirty and always has a fresh coat of wax.

Props to you stagehand for running the bike the way it was designed
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:58 AM   #39
Beater
Theory Is Not Enough

Oddometer: 3,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
You know, looking at that GSPD gets me thinking. A bike used that much and that worn is as nice as a perfectly restored model that never gets dirty and always has a fresh coat of wax.

Props to you stagehand for running the bike the way it was designed

+1

Bravo.
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:29 PM   #40
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
PIAA 510's...they are finally in a spot where I'm least liable to break them in a crash, and the higher they are they better for forward viewing.
Been thinking about mounting some lights up high also - nice to see someone else justify my thinking!
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:43 PM   #41
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis View Post
Been thinking about mounting some lights up high also - nice to see someone else justify my thinking!
technically its not street legal to have light above the headlights, here in the states, and these arent technically DOT approved I think, but on the road i just use them as high beams, and flash down with oncoming traffic.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:39 PM   #42
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Dan, will we have the pleasure of your company at Sandblast this year? If not, I hope we'll meet up over the summer, before Black River..
Wish I could. I am on call all weekend, tried to switch but was not able to.

Definitely let's hook up in the summer - I love getting on the bike and riding into New York/New England. Street, dirt, or both!

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:29 PM   #43
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

There's a thread on the Siebenrock kit you might want to check out:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653233

Old 01-23-2011, 09:28 PM   #44
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
There's a thread on the Siebenrock kit you might want to check out:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653233

I was literally just reading that same one. Its interesting... big bore and long stroke hotrod stuff that baffles me
Old 01-24-2011, 10:23 AM   #45
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,683
posted by RobFarmer on the above thread, and WELL worth the read of the Moore website, with PICTURES and GRAPHS...

Quote:
Richie Moores website has some useful information, including dyno charts, show results from various engine mods including long rods and short skirt pistons.

I believe Richie has a 103BHP airhead engine

Link here http://www.moorespeed.co.uk/technical