Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2011, 09:29 AM   #16
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B View Post
Same light options as on the other Lynx fairings ie, HID upgrade on one or both lights. The standard halogen lights are DOT approved and this is stamped on the bottom of the lenses. It not legal to change ANY bulb in a headlight, but having DOT stamped on the lamps and the fact that the lights are virtually identical to Hellas HID version, mean that it would be a difficult call to tell them apart. There has never been a problem with the law as far as I am aware and unlike some HID conversions, these remain very focused and don't throw light all over the place, blinding other drivers.

That said, the standard Halogens will be about 5 times brighter than the OEM light and be similar to the light given off by a small car. HID will up that by about 40% and be a much whiter/daylight type light.

The Hella 90mm bi-exeon will fit straight in, but each light costs nerly as much as the fairing !! $$$$$$$$$$$$$. Frankly, not really worth it.

Ian
I think I understand Are you saying the HID's are not DOT but don't really bother the oncoming drivers? Personally I'm not worried about them being DOT but I don't want to blind oncoming drivers. Could I use the HID's on the road?

Fisherman do you get flashed much on the road?

I've got the 08 with the bigger headlight and run a 130/80 watt H4 bulb with no alternator issues. (It's 130 on low and 80 on High and I mostly use low).
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:44 AM   #17
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
I think I understand Are you saying the HID's are not DOT but don't really bother the oncoming drivers? Personally I'm not worried about them being DOT but I don't want to blind oncoming drivers. Could I use the HID's on the road?

Fisherman do you get flashed much on the road?

I've got the 08 with the bigger headlight and run a 130/80 watt H4 bulb with no alternator issues. (It's 130 on low and 80 on High and I mostly use low).
I was running a Phoenix twin fairing (BC's fairing for the KLR, same headlights) with the HID low and I never got flashed. They are fully adjustable in the fairing and have a defined cut-off. Lot's of clean light, no lines and no scattering. Very wide beam too which is great for the sides of the road or trail and makes you more noticeable when coming up beside drivers.
They are actually very similar in look and function to the projector beam HID lights on a lot of BMW cars etc.
Yes you can use them on the road no problem

If there's anybody in Washington State looking at this fairing you can see it live (and Ian's new Mirage 2 for the F8GS) at the Vancouver Moto Show Jan. 20-23rd 2011. Booth #805 with Moto Overland.

http://www.vancouvermotorcycleshow.ca/

Thanks!

Dave

www.motooverland.com
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:52 PM   #18
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B View Post
the bottom of the fairing locates straight onto those two threaded holes on the top of the bottom triple. In fact the bottom of the fairing is like a 'tongue', that fits under the plastic shield and on top of the triple. The plastic shield and all other OEM parts (including the indicators and speedo platform) all remain in place, which makes this instalation much more straightforward than on some Lynx versions. Not having to deal with the ignition switch also makes for an easier and quicker install.
Ian, that sounds like an outstanding improvement, and addresses exactly the issues I had with installing the generic model.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:20 AM   #19
K7MDL
TE450, TE610

Oddometer: 1,543
With the HID low beam on my Lynx, I never think about wanting more light. In fact I almost never use my high beam, the low works so well. Clean cutoff and pattern, no blinding of oncoming cars, pleasant color (white), not the awful blue that some seem to like. I turn on my halogen high beam once in a while to make sure it still works and to remember what it looked like. It works quite well, but compared to the HID, it takes second seat and is a bit yellow. I keep a halogen hi beam for easy remote field replacement parts. I can swap bulbs between housings. I have had to do that in the past with similar 2 lamp setups.
K7MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:23 AM   #20
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 783
I'm glad to hear the HID stays on with the high beam!!

Ian,

Will the fairing have that nice orange/black combo like the one in the picture?

Thanks!!
Old 01-15-2011, 08:51 AM   #21
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS_D View Post
I'm glad to hear the HID stays on with the high beam!!

Ian,

Will the fairing have that nice orange/black combo like the one in the picture?

Thanks!!
Yes, although we will leave the decals off and include them in the kit, so that guys can choose whether they want them or not. Opinions from guys who have seen it in the flesh are split 50/50 between leaving it clear or having the decals

Ian
Old 01-15-2011, 08:53 AM   #22
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
Ian, that sounds like an outstanding improvement, and addresses exactly the issues I had with installing the generic model.
Thanks ! The bike is so good, it deserves to have it's own unique Lynx !!

Ian
Old 01-22-2011, 07:15 PM   #23
Bartron
Bike Punisher

Oddometer: 678
Ian, what does the inside look like? Room to mount anything?

Great design, looking forward to picking one up.

==================================
:: Furious Basterds: Velox, Vehemens, Oblivio
::
:: "For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible. For those who do, none is necessary."
Bartron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:41 AM   #24
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartron View Post
Ian, what does the inside look like? Room to mount anything?

Great design, looking forward to picking one up.
Thanks. Here's a pic of the rider view. Lots of room for GPS etc.
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #25
GiMoto Canada
KTM Submarine Capt.

Oddometer: 50
I have been looking for a lighting solution for months and considered adding a LED setup due to power consumption. The concern is always power output as I have heated grips and a Zumo 550 that seem to be on constantly.

If you install HID on both the high & low beam is there any more power consumption than the stock system?

Where are you located in Canada?
Old 01-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #26
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiMoto Canada View Post
I have been looking for a lighting solution for months and considered adding a LED setup due to power consumption. The concern is always power output as I have heated grips and a Zumo 550 that seem to be on constantly.

If you install HID on both the high & low beam is there any more power consumption than the stock system?

Where are you located in Canada?
The Heated grips and the GPS wouldn't make much difference with the Lynx standard lighting. However, if you've got heated grips, then it's also likely that you may want to run a heated vest and that would probably be too much.

The safe bet is to go with an HID low beam. The HID high is obviously better again, but the overall electric power gain isn't as great, becaus high is generally not used as much (particularly with the low beam being so effective on it's own).

HID low combined with hte Halogen high is our most popular combo on the Lynx.

WE are based in the lower mainland in BC.

Cheers Ian
Old 01-23-2011, 11:20 PM   #27
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 997
Ian - sorry for all the questions but I have a few more:

So with an HID low and Halogen high both lights are on for High and just the HID for Low? Or is there a "double filament" Halogen than has both a low and high position? I'm assuming you don't want HID for high as you can't quickly turn it on and off for oncoming traffic?

My bike has been running a 130 watt H4 Halogen for over a year with no electrical problems. I'm thinking of getting your fairing with a 50 watt HID low and something like a 80 watt Halogen high? Is that combo possible? I know it sounds like lots of light but light is huge to me. I ride a lot at night in 3rd world countries where the roads are black as black with no painted lines on the edges let alone the cool "reflective painted lines' most first world countries take for granted. I've seen elephants, massive pythons, water buffalo crossing the road in the middle of the night and we commonly have semi trucks on the freeway going 10 kph with no tail lights or reflectors while sports cars are doing 160 k/hr at the same time.

How tough is your fairing? For instance I've done 900 KM of washboard in 1 day, 5,000 KM in a week once. Lot's of things (actually most things) break/come apart etc. How do you think the Lynx would do?

Finally, what do guys normally do with GPS's etc? Bolt them straight to the dash?

Thanks!

Rick
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:18 AM   #28
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 783
Ian I have say that dash looks great!! It looks like the Speedo is relocated. It sure looks a lot better in that position. I'm also curious how the GPS bolts on. I currently have a Zumo with a Touratech mount which is bolted to Ranzaco's Map holder. Is there mount for your fairing where I can still use the Touratech mount?

Ricky I don't know how you do it at night, especially with the 690. I too ride at night all time and it's rough for me even with all the painted stuff we have here in the states. In fact at this point at night I just ride the 990, because the 690's headlight is so bad that I think a flashlight would do better.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:58 AM   #29
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Ian - sorry for all the questions but I have a few more:

So with an HID low and Halogen high both lights are on for High and just the HID for Low? Or is there a "double filament" Halogen than has both a low and high position? I'm assuming you don't want HID for high as you can't quickly turn it on and off for oncoming traffic?

My bike has been running a 130 watt H4 Halogen for over a year with no electrical problems. I'm thinking of getting your fairing with a 50 watt HID low and something like a 80 watt Halogen high? Is that combo possible? I know it sounds like lots of light but light is huge to me. I ride a lot at night in 3rd world countries where the roads are black as black with no painted lines on the edges let alone the cool "reflective painted lines' most first world countries take for granted. I've seen elephants, massive pythons, water buffalo crossing the road in the middle of the night and we commonly have semi trucks on the freeway going 10 kph with no tail lights or reflectors while sports cars are doing 160 k/hr at the same time.

How tough is your fairing? For instance I've done 900 KM of washboard in 1 day, 5,000 KM in a week once. Lot's of things (actually most things) break/come apart etc. How do you think the Lynx would do?

Finally, what do guys normally do with GPS's etc? Bolt them straight to the dash?

Thanks!

Rick
Hearing about a typical day in your life is making me feel very envious !

Anyway, the fairings are extremely tough and (to my knowledge), one has never broken in the three years the Lynx has been out. However, there have been a few instances where the actual screen has broken in a 'get off', and for you high usage, I would recomend having a spare one around.

The lighting configuration is as you describe. The lights have separate functions, with the low beam remaining on and the other high beam lamp coming on when switched. You are correct about the slight delay when using the HID to 'flash', but my view of the HID low/Halogen high was mainly a 'bang for the buck' combo. Twin HID is still the best. I would need to find out from our HID supplier about the higher wattage HID's, but I'm sure they are available for these lights.

Yes, the GPS bolt's straight onto the dash. If you are giving the bike 'extreme' usage, then it may be advisable to put a short 'leash' on it just in case, but I've certainly not had any experience of the GPS parting company from the normal plastic holders that are available for them.

The dash will also accomodate other accessories like power sockets and it is very easy to tap into the Lynx's wiring harness to supply power to these accessories, without having to run dedicated power wires back to the battery.

Hope this helps.

Ian
Old 01-24-2011, 08:05 AM   #30
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS_D View Post
Ian I have say that dash looks great!! It looks like the Speedo is relocated. It sure looks a lot better in that position. I'm also curious how the GPS bolts on. I currently have a Zumo with a Touratech mount which is bolted to Ranzaco's Map holder. Is there mount for your fairing where I can still use the Touratech mount?

Ricky I don't know how you do it at night, especially with the 690. I too ride at night all time and it's rough for me even with all the painted stuff we have here in the states. In fact at this point at night I just ride the 990, because the 690's headlight is so bad that I think a flashlight would do better.
You might be able to bolt the touratec mount to the dash on the zumo, but otherwise any of the aftermarket plastic ones will work (no locking though). The fairing does a really good job of insulating the vibes, so there is no need to have a mount that insulates the vibes like the TT, but if you can get the TT to bulkhead mount with the zumo, then that is the best setup.