User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2011, 01:26 AM   #1
Raineman OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
ABS Modulator failures

I have joined the ranks of GS 1200 owners who have had the brake modulator fail, and it is 'unrepairable'.

Symptoms included weak rear brake, flashing 'brake failure' lights, although the front brakes worked fine.

THe cost of a new unit is $4200 AUD plus installation ($350).

I have read on the net, that this is not an uncommon failure on the 1200 (GS, RT, etc.) and that some folk have crashed and been injured.

I have reported the issue to the AUstralian Department responsible for road safety, and they have advised me that without details of a wider spread problem, they are not able to take the issue up formally with BMW.

I am seeking details from other owners who have had the brake modulator fail, so that I can give sufficient ammunition to the agency to take the matter up formally with BMW, as someone is going to killed by the failure of these units, and there should be a recall or advisory provided to owners.

Send me a private message if you prefer with details of the modulator failures.

thanks
Raineman
Raineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:01 AM   #2
Killa Meter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Mine went on my 07 and was changed under warranty, I asked and was told the part alone was around 2300aud dollars. Let's look it up on max BMW site, they have prices displayed .
Also there is a guy in Aus who repairs them for BMW cars and other brands, you will have to google him and see if he can fix yours.
If I remember the price was only a few hundred dollars.

Killa Meter screwed with this post 01-20-2011 at 02:41 AM
Killa Meter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:21 AM   #3
Killa Meter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Ok hoping I got the right model and part but max BMW price is 1886 bucks usd,time to give your dealer the flick!
Old 01-20-2011, 05:02 AM   #4
kneesels
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
ABS Mod

Mine failed, flashing brake light. 07 GSA with 35850 miles 36 months 3 weeks---just out of warrantee, BMW agreed to pay for part-2400.00 USD and I paid for labor 300.00. Pisser is I had just got it back from the brake line recall.
kneesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:51 AM   #5
maxjett
maxjett

Oddometer: 491
This was a fear on mine. So I asked the BMW service manager the options in case of a failure. I was told part of the servo could be removed leaving connection to the computer(ECU) and adding steel braided brake lines.
I did see a bike this was done on and all was well according to the owner so for a couple hundred bucks a simple cure.
maxjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjett View Post
This was a fear on mine. So I asked the BMW service manager the options in case of a failure. I was told part of the servo could be removed leaving connection to the computer(ECU) and adding steel braided brake lines.
I did see a bike this was done on and all was well according to the owner so for a couple hundred bucks a simple cure.

Yep but you are left with all the warning lights going full blast. The dealer can reprogram the computer so this doesn’t happen but most wont.
Below is a link to a thread that may interest you guys.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343508&highlight=remove+speedometer
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
peanut_gallery
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjett View Post

Yeah I did this to mine earlier this past year. If you have the new front and rear brake lines then the job is pretty easy to do yourself, I did mine with a T25? to remove the module from the bike then used a flat head screw driver and a hammer to remove the security torx that hold the computer part to the servo part. My local dealer wont do the process that is outlines in the thread suggested above so I have just lived with the lights flashing.

There is a natural human reluctance to abandon ones entire life and start over somewhere else - Jeff Lindsay
peanut_gallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:46 PM   #8
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 31,729
I think Gimpinator had a thread about possible repairs to the module.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:30 PM   #9
viz
I Ride Ms Piggy

Oddometer: 1,804
Inneresting...

Just about to do the 20,000 km service - have complained to the service manager of my local dealer about the rear brake pedal sinking and becoming unresponsive.

"Never heard anything like that before" he said...

Front brake is fine.

Will take this up a bit further

viz
viz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:33 PM   #10
Raineman OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Let me know how you go, Viz.

I am having my module removed. It has been in the shop now for two weeks waiting for the steel brake lines.
Will report back when it comes back.
Raineman
Raineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:13 AM   #11
Steptoe
steptoe

Oddometer: 2,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raineman View Post
Symptoms included weak rear brake, flashing 'brake failure' lights, although the front brakes worked fine.
Well, i've spoken about a how i've fixed a few identical problems on servo units with a simple no cost fix, and how i was reluctant to post it on the internet for various business reasons., but the time has come where people need the information.

If you have weak brakes on front or rear, or they drag/stick slightly, it MAYBE , only maybe a blocked or restricted filter in the servo.

I've found it on a few bikes and it's cleared the problem, but the filters have been clean on other bikes and it wasn't the problem.

You want the rigid brake pipe holder on the servo unit -shown here in the picture below. Remove the circlip and pull out the rigid brake line so it is as in the picture.

On the head are two flats, with an open ended spanner undo the pipe holder and remove the holder -

On the end is a filter, the one in the picture below is dirty pretty restricted. I bet no one at your dealership has mentioned this to you ( i doubt they even know) . And no one can be bothered to get off their arse to help people save money when you can just replace it with a new one.

Clean it up, put it back, renew the brakes and servo with new fluid and you could be one of the lucky ones and find your brakes working again for 30 minutes work.
And remember there are two of the pipe holder and filters on each brake circuit = two for the front, and two for the rear - Also bare in mind it doesn't work on every servo with the weak brake symptoms.

The same filter cleaned through.

Steptoe screwed with this post 01-24-2011 at 03:39 AM
Steptoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:00 AM   #12
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,904
Thanks for sharing Steptoe. That could save a bunch of people a lot of money!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:20 AM   #13
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud

Oddometer: 1,570
Sorry, I'm easily confused....

1. The OP asked about ABS modulator failure but does not state which model year GS.
2. Killa Meter said his went out on his 2007 model.
3. maxjett chimed in with info about servo removal.
4. Steptoe's procedures refer to servo-equipped bikes.
5. Servo-assist ABS is not installed on post-2006 GSs.

Do all R12GSs from all years with ABS have an ABS modulator, regardless if servo-assist is present? Does this thread only pertain to pre-2007 GSs?
jdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:09 AM   #14
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Well, i've spoken about a how i've fixed a few identical problems on servo units with a simple no cost fix, and how i was reluctant to post it on the internet for various business reasons., but the time has come where people need the information.

If you have weak brakes on front or rear, or they drag/stick slightly, it MAYBE , only maybe a blocked or restricted filter in the servo.
Thanks Steptoe, I give this a try when I next service the ABS servo unit on my bike.

My rear brake must drag slightly, it would be nice to cure that.
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:48 AM   #15
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
Sorry, I'm easily confused....

1. The OP asked about ABS modulator failure but does not state which model year GS.
2. Killa Meter said his went out on his 2007 model.
3. maxjett chimed in with info about servo removal.
4. Steptoe's procedures refer to servo-equipped bikes.
5. Servo-assist ABS is not installed on post-2006 GSs.

Do all R12GSs from all years with ABS have an ABS modulator, regardless if servo-assist is present? Does this thread only pertain to pre-2007 GSs?
Welcome to the internet, full of half the information you will ever need.

Steptoe was referring to the servo-ABS. I do not believe, but could be wrong, that his procedure would be applicable on the later versions.

All ABS BMW bikes have a modulator of one sort or another, but you are right, only 04-06 R1200 series have the servo, as well as late model R1150 series bikes.

Jim

PS It sure would be nice if people would say the year and modle of their bike in their tech questions.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote