Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2011, 10:35 AM   #31
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,426
I bolted my Zumo 550 motorcycle holder directly to the dash. I had to reposition it about 1/4" lower because the swinging locking bar was blocked -- too close to the top.

I recently upgraded to the Zumo 660, and the holder uses the same bolt pattern as the 550 mount. The 660 mount is much slimmer, and even though the screen is much bigger, the footprint on the dash is actually smaller than the 550.

The locking system is also different, using a push button on the right side to release the unit. Mounted directly, flat on the dash, there isn't enough room for my finger to release the GPS from the mount. It needs about a 1/2" spacer on the top bolts to allow room to depress the release button.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:12 PM   #32
GiMoto Canada
KTM Submarine Capt.

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
I bolted my Zumo 550 motorcycle holder directly to the dash. I had to reposition it about 1/4" lower because the swinging locking bar was blocked -- too close to the top.

I recently upgraded to the Zumo 660, and the holder uses the same bolt pattern as the 550 mount. The 660 mount is much slimmer, and even though the screen is much bigger, the footprint on the dash is actually smaller than the 550.

The locking system is also different, using a push button on the right side to release the unit. Mounted directly, flat on the dash, there isn't enough room for my finger to release the GPS from the mount. It needs about a 1/2" spacer on the top bolts to allow room to depress the release button.
Can you post some photos? I am tired of learning the hard way and would prefer to learn from someone who has already done it. No rush as I am buried in four feet of snow for three more months...
Old 01-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #33
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
The main reason I like the Touratech mount is for the locking feature. It's one less thing I need to worry about securing when I make a quick trip into a store.

Ian I'm sorry for so many questions...

The customer(s) who had the broken windsheilds, was it because the windsheild was extended when they crash? If the sheild would of been all the way down do you think it would of still broken off?

The reason I'm asking this is because I had my first drop today with the new 690 The front tire got stuck in a muddy rut and down I went. I will say she sure is a lot easier to pick up then my Big 'o' Gurl 990!!
Old 01-24-2011, 05:20 PM   #34
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS_D View Post
The main reason I like the Touratech mount is for the locking feature. It's one less thing I need to worry about securing when I make a quick trip into a store.

Ian I'm sorry for so many questions...

The customer(s) who had the broken windsheilds, was it because the windsheild was extended when they crash? If the sheild would of been all the way down do you think it would of still broken off?

The reason I'm asking this is because I had my first drop today with the new 690 The front tire got stuck in a muddy rut and down I went. I will say she sure is a lot easier to pick up then my Big 'o' Gurl 990!!
No problem with the questions. At least everybody following the thread gets the benefit of the answers.

Anyway, in most cases, the screen is up and the incidents vary from a major road accident, to the bike simply falling over in the garage ! One guy even had a fist sized stone falling from the back of a truck that hit the screen. He said it would have given him a real bad day if the rock had hit hime in the chest or neck ! However, lets put this in perspective though. I think we have supplied about 30 replacement screens over 3 years out of nearly 1000 fairings and this includes replacements where the owners just want to replace one that is a bit scratched.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:56 PM   #35
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B View Post
No problem with the questions. At least everybody following the thread gets the benefit of the answers.

Anyway, in most cases, the screen is up and the incidents vary from a major road accident, to the bike simply falling over in the garage ! One guy even had a fist sized stone falling from the back of a truck that hit the screen. He said it would have given him a real bad day if the rock had hit hime in the chest or neck ! However, lets put this in perspective though. I think we have supplied about 30 replacement screens over 3 years out of nearly 1000 fairings and this includes replacements where the owners just want to replace one that is a bit scratched.
Thanks, so it doesn't sound like it's a normal occurance.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:27 AM   #36
mototifosi
what does this one do?

Oddometer: 490
KTM Set Up

Ian,
what do you have for the 08 EXCR 530's? Use the 690 set up? Generic? Coming out with another for the KTM's? Does anyone out there have pics of the Lynx set up on KTM's ? Can ya'll post more pix of what you did with the dashes and other bikes please? I have seen the 690 which looks sweet....
Thanks in advance...
mototifosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:27 PM   #37
SeanVancouver
n00b

Oddometer: 6
690R Fairing

Ian,

It was great to see your display and meet you and the Motooverland folks at the Vancouver MC show last weekend. I live near you in Surrey and have a 2010 690R. Looking to order my new fairing soon. Will get the HID low beam but I am not sure whether or not to go for the HID high beam. Talk to you soon.
Attached Images

Britannia Composites Lynx fairing-HID/ Halogen

SeanVancouver screwed with this post 01-29-2011 at 03:34 PM
SeanVancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:33 PM   #38
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanVancouver View Post
Ian,

It was great to see your display and meet you and the Motooverland folks at the Vancouver MC show last weekend. I live near you in Surrey and have a 2010 690R. Looking to order my new fairing soon. Will get the HID low beam but I am not sure whether or not to go for the HID high beam. Talk to you soon.
Good to meet you too (and yes I remember you taking the photo, which was quite difficult !). I would go with the Halogen high. It saves you money and has the benefit of being more 'instant' when you switch it on. With the HID there is a very slight delay, if the ballast is cold. Furthermore, it's very easy to add the high beam HID anytime in the future, particularly as you live so close. Having said all that, it is kind of nice having that bright 'white' light.

Either way, you're gonna be blown away by comparison to what you're used to !

Ian
Old 01-29-2011, 04:47 PM   #39
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mototifosi View Post
Ian,
what do you have for the 08 EXCR 530's? Use the 690 set up? Generic? Coming out with another for the KTM's? Does anyone out there have pics of the Lynx set up on KTM's ? Can ya'll post more pix of what you did with the dashes and other bikes please? I have seen the 690 which looks sweet....
Thanks in advance...
OK, this is probably a bit confusing, because it's not on the website yet, but there are going to be 2 fairings for KTM's. One is 690 specific and comes with specific instructions on fitting to that bike and a dashboard that is pre-drilled for the relocation of the speedo.

The other will be 'KTM Generic'. This is the same fairing/screen as the one shown here (690), but it will have less specific instructions and the dashboard will be left 'clear' for guys to relocate their OEM or aftermarket speedo wherever they like. The instalation is not difficult and does not require any drilling or cutting on the bike. The fairing locates straight onto the two drilled holes on the top surface of the bottom triple clamp on virtually all KTM's. The other mounting point is where the dash clamps under the handlebar risers as with any other Lynx. There are no photos of this fairing as the first ones have only just gone out this week (both in black and orange), but you will get the general look of it from the 690 pics.

The fairings are available in Black (shown here with the included orange decals) or plain orange. All Lynx's cost the same and all can have the same combos of HID's and headlight protectors etc.

450 and 530 owners need to be aware that without a rewound stator, they will have to have twin HID's for the lower power draw.

Ian
Old 01-30-2011, 02:29 PM   #40
GiMoto Canada
KTM Submarine Capt.

Ian,

Can you post the install instructions? I would be interested to know what needs to be done and how it mounts in comparison to the stock system.

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2011, 03:55 PM   #41
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiMoto Canada View Post
Ian,

Can you post the install instructions? I would be interested to know what needs to be done and how it mounts in comparison to the stock system.

Thanks!
I don't think I can post the installation instructions on here, but if you email me at britanniacomposites@shaw.ca then I'll send them to you.

Ian
Old 01-31-2011, 04:47 PM   #42
GiMoto Canada
KTM Submarine Capt.

Email sent... Thanks Ian!
Old 01-31-2011, 05:53 PM   #43
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B View Post
I don't think I can post the installation instructions on here, but if you email me at britanniacomposites@shaw.ca then I'll send them to you.

Ian
Hi Ian,

You posted this in the Vendor section (which is appropriate), so you should be able to post what you want in regards to selling your product.. I don't think posting instructions is a wrong thing to do!!
Old 02-01-2011, 07:12 AM   #44
WoodsTripper
1 Track Mind

Oddometer: 19
Wicked

Presumably, since the "KTM Generic" version fits KTM 450s, it will also fit a new Husaberg FE too, right? Hmmm. Could be a tasty addition to give my Berg that ADV look.
WoodsTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #45
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS_D View Post
Hi Ian,

You posted this in the Vendor section (which is appropriate), so you should be able to post what you want in regards to selling your product.. I don't think posting instructions is a wrong thing to do!!
Yes, but the file is about 5 mb, and I'm not sure you can upload that sized file ( can you ?)