User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2011, 04:40 AM   #1
Storm Shadow OP
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,498
grafton, nsw, Australia floods ride down the gwyder

Went for a ride today, about teh first good ride ive had in 18 months, about the first ride of the cafe racer too.

took teh cafe out, down the gwyder highway, to assess the damage from the floods.

only a few days ago, thsi road was closed due to several land slides. then getting to grafton,

couldnt stop at a lot of the places, but the road, is generally covered in mud, with huge mounds of dirt, thats come down from teh sides in the twisties,

the road condition is terrible, and they have decided to put hot mix all down the road, so its dodge the gravel patches. fresh hot mix gravel, mmm...

I managed to stop at jackadgery, had one of these monster shots, ig ot at the servo.

can see the Mann river, swolen and gushing really fast. can only imagine what it was like last week.

Twisties went well, bikes very nimble, keep changing down to 3rd and 4th on the hills, 5th just doesnt like anything really, 70-90 up hill, 120 down hill with a tail wind. leans over well i think, handles very well im impressed. old tyres, so wasnt pushing it at all. just having fun.

got to grafton, and their was an hour traffic jam, everybodys being diverted into the town, and not around it as it usually is. the bridge is a huge bottle neck.

for soem reason i kept stalling, then i worked out, i had drive with teh clutch all the way in, so when i went to stop it stalled.

i pulled over,a nd adjusted the clutch, out too far for my liking now, but working fine. back into teh bottle neck of traffic, full leathers, 40 degree heat, stop start traffic, with a bad arm that i cant pull the clutch in much. fun.

got into the town, filled up with fuel, 8l for 164km for a 233cc twin, pretty terrible i think, but i was riding it full throttle. wouldnt give me 200km out of a tank i think doing this.

couldnt find a cafe, well its where u go on a cafe racer isnt it, so subway it was atleast it was air conditioned.

back into the traffic jam for an hour, to get to the other side, back up the gwyder, then

then for some reason i see the screw pin on my clutch is about 2cm taller than it should be, ok, whats going on here, i start turning it as much as i can, and do it every 5 minutes, as im watching it unwind, thinking, my clutch levers going to fall off soon.

pulled up 50km later, and found the lock nut was missing, no tools, used the key to tighten it up, pealed off some ducktape thats holding the cracked headlight together, and stuck it ontop to stop it unwinding it self

not long later, i feel something on my leg, look down and the side covers come off, yes the custom painted part, so i held it and stopped, was just sitting their, lucky it didnt fall off, id be upset,

then, it bucketed down like nothing else, for 20 minutes through the tight twisties, 8 year old duel sport tyres, rusty rider, no rain gear. fun.

finally got to rasbery look out, on the other side, and put the little rain cover on my mini tank bag on, to keep my phone dry..

20km from town, and a dreatfull ticking sound starts, then i run out of fuel, and onto reserve, this is 140km now. less than before.

got into town and filled up with 9l for 160km.

Decided to take teh cafe racer down the gwyder to see the damage,

Grafton CBD, this was underwater,

Mann River

Rasberry Look Out,a fter 20 minutes of pelting rain,

Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:13 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,571
Looks dry now Nice ride, thanks for posting.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
boy60
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
Great lookin bike you got there

Is that stand in Grafton?
boy60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:57 AM   #4
Storm Shadow OP
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,498
Quote: