Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2009, 11:23 PM   #91
Chad M
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFlow
That's nice Chad. I like those lower mounts. Is your tubing screwed to those lower mounts or welded? Aluminim or steel? Good job.
Thanks LF, the mount is solid aluminum (no tubing here) and everything is tapped, threaded and bolted together. I bent the round stock in a vise. The rest was cut from billet aluminum with a hacksaw and file, then drilled out with a little drill press.

A few days after I had put the whole thing together, I stumbled onto the Rally Riser offered by one the Inmates here... I was very happy to see the same design that I used in my "risers". Needlesstosay, I ordered the Rally Riser on the spot. They compliment each other nicely!
Chad M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:37 AM   #92
earthmover
Opinionated, me?

Oddometer: 225
Update to post #73.
The Acerbis roadbook holder has gone, replaced by a Touratech one. (The Acerbis is now on a quick release bracket for use on other bikes for infrequent use)
The right hand disc has been removed, so the second brake hose has gone, and the master cylinder and hose have replaced by an EXC item. (thanks JayBo1 )
Heated grips were the next addition, the under-grip version, wired to the accessory plug under the dash and topped off with Pro-grip rally grips.
Lastly, for the colder weather, a set of handlebar muffs!
No you may scoff, as I did when I first saw a pair on an off-road bike (Hi Loz ) but they do work. The "Oxford Sport" pair were cheap at 20.00 and have a wide aperture when on the second press stud, allowing ease of access to the controls when seated or standing. They fit over my handguards, and do an excellent job of keeping my hands dryer and warmer than without. I hate thick gloves nearly as much as I hate frozen fingers, but with this set up I can ride in my summer gloves all year.
Mark
earthmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:46 PM   #93
bikepikespeak.com
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Dash Idea Help

So, I recently picked up an 06 640 Adventure. Love it so far. It had a Roadbook Holder on it that I figured was just taking up room. Don't know that I'll ever race so I figured I'd move it out (for sale in Fleamarket) and see if I can mount the Zumo in it's place. Now these pictures are just a rough draft of what I am thinking. (I'll eventually do it w/ metal)...but I thought I'd throw it on here for some advice/further ideas.

Here's the linky link.
http://bikepikespeak.smugmug.com/gal...71064108_nWECi

I have read that ppl get worried about the vibrations the thumper causes, but don't particuallarly want to spend the $ for that fancy Touratech holder. Anyone have any ideas or thoughts on what would help this set up as far as that goes?

It seems to be in a pretty good position for seeing it and the steering isn't affected by it....so it seems to be a decent spot I feel.

Any thoughts good or bad appreciated as it's a work in progress...
bikepikespeak.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:27 PM   #94
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,890
Here's one I built. Looks like I wasn't the first one with the brain-wave to build it like the stock on, but better. There are several in the previous pages just like mine. I built it for the RAM cradle, and just went with simple adel clamps to secure it. There is enough give to soften any blows. (edit: adels sucked, so a metal backer was tacked and the RAM cradle screwed to that. The GPS has been swapped out for a Garmin 60Cx)

B-Rod screwed with this post 01-25-2011 at 02:40 PM
B-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:07 PM   #95
DesignerRider
Adventures Since 1984

Oddometer: 100
The King-Hack Mount

Well, after the roadbook holder wouldn't quite fit right on my 97' Adventure, I scrapped up some metal from a road sign (orange of course) and some thicker stuff from ones of those Razor scooter things.

No welding involved, just lots of drilling, screwing, grinding. It's not pretty. Just a nice minimalist setup. Hasn't vibrated apart so far. One problem is that the antenna is tucked under the dash a little so reception is harder to receive. Anybody know where those remote antennas can be found?

70' Yamaha DT175 Enduro
DesignerRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:34 AM   #96
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,801
Bumping this because its photo links are still active!
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:57 AM   #97
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,127
Great info in here!
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:21 PM   #98
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,834
Minimalist approach:

I modified the bracket several times to get it to work... It now clears the cables while at the same time allowing fuss free tank removal and does not interfere with a tankbag ....

I put a slotted bracket on the front dash mount for a strap or tie cord and use the pocket for storage... The strap keeps stowed thing like inner tubes, rain gear or my heated vest from exiting the pocket...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:54 PM   #99
Franksoest
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Here is my 05er ADV
Attached Images

Franksoest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:00 AM   #100
Franksoest
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
And here is my 89er
Attached Images

Franksoest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:20 PM   #101
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post

Never mind the dash - check out the odometer!!!

Major jealousy...

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:05 AM   #102
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,150
OK, I finally got a GPS and had to customize my dash:

Testing tomorrow on a day-ride...

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:55 PM   #103
TripleThreat719
Track Addict ADV Wannabe

Oddometer: 279
Reviving an Old Thread to show all you fellow 640 Adventure owning inmates my new dash setup...

I have a Garmin GPS Map 60 CSX, a Garmin Zumo 660, a Kenwood UBZ-LH14, a 6 Circuit Fuse Block and a StarCom1 Advance Helmet Communication System all installed. The only thing remaining to be installed is my VIO POV HD camera setup.

Here's a closeup of the dash...

I fabricated the entire dash out of aluminum. I machined the attachment feet, bent the aluminum rod and tig-welded up the fabricated dash panel. There is also a shelf at the bottom of the dash panel that runs back up toward the front of the fairing that all of the wiring ends up being concealed by. Basically all of the wiring is sitting behind the dash panel on the shelf between the dash and fairing. It conceals everything pretty well.

On Sunday I'll be installing a specially fabricated (by my brother) aluminum PTT switch that will activate the two-way radio and allow me to talk to my brother on his Husqvarna TE 610.

Headed up to ride the TWAT the 22nd through the 31st. Looking forward to putting all these farkles to the test...
TripleThreat719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:02 PM   #104
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,310
OK, I'll bite. What's with the redundant GPS setup?
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:56 PM   #105
TripleThreat719
Track Addict ADV Wannabe

Oddometer: 279
The Zumo is great for following routes and gives spoken directions through the helmet communications setup. The GPS Map 60 CSx handles tracks really well and is also easily portable and has long battery life for hikes away from a camp site. I also have the topo maps loaded on it... Set the GPS Map 60 CSx at a 5 mile view and the Zumo at .3 miles and you have the best of both worlds right there in front of you. The Zumo's battery doesn't last long when it is disconnected from a power source, so taking it along on a hike is not very practical.
TripleThreat719 is offline   Reply With Quote