User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2011, 09:00 AM   #61
aldntn
Vgo

Oddometer: 273
klavinator

You've got a lot of good riding just a little north as you get into TN. Just about any direction. Mostly rural, two lane, mild roll to steep and curvy. Some of my favorites are to the northeast: TN hwys 16, 56, and 156 toward Sewanee. And if you go as far as Sewanee, you may as well run Hwy 41 north off of Monteagle Mountain.

Here's a very interesting spot on hwy 56 at Sherwood TN:

http://www.sherwoodtenn.com/gager/gager.htm

A pic of mine:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...386.1675487364

And to the west there is some very interesting riding in the Pickwick Dam area.

Then there's the Natchez Trace Pky all the way to Nashville......

09 DL650ABS
aldntn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:35 PM   #62
mikem9
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,194
Enjoying your thread. Shows that adventure is a state of mind and can be had most anywhere, if you are open to it. Thanks for sharing.
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #63
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,581
Aldtn, thanks for the info, I will check out some of the stuff you mentioned. For now I'm sticking closer to Huntsville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9 View Post
Enjoying your thread. Shows that adventure is a state of mind and can be had most anywhere, if you are open to it. Thanks for sharing.
Adventure can be found almost anywhere if you have the right frame of mind and are willing to look for it. Riding around huntsville is not quite as adventurous as say, 17 easy to moderate miles in N Georgia but it's something I can do during the day and still make it to work at night. Of course trying to ride after a major snowstorm does add to the adventure

Unfortunately, after the initial fun of riding in the fresh snow on Monday, reality, along with very cold temperatures set in. All that fresh snow got packed down and became icy. On Thursday it at least got sunny so I went for a walk and took a few pics.

I was surprised to sea sea gulls so far inland but here they were.

The houses across the lake looked nice with a little white trim.

I wonder if boaters suffer from PBS (Parked Boat Syndrome) or is that BBC (Beached Boat Crying)

Did I mention it was cold? This guy really looks cold.

It was such I Sunny day that I really wanted to go for a ride but decided that there was still too much ice on the road. Friday's forecast was for Sunny and 38 degrees. Looks like I'll be able to do something about my PMS

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #64
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Sure enough, it was sunny and above freezing on Friday. it felt downright balmy outside. I knew that balmy feeling would go away with the windchill generated by riding so I bundled up and headed out. There was still snow and ice on the roads but the main roads were pretty clear so I decided to stay on the main roads and look for picture opportunities. It may be a while before we get this much snow in Huntsville. Of course, with global Warming who knows?

It didn't take too long to spot my first picture opportunity.

in this next pic I am at least a quarter mile from the rocket.

I decide to check out the SR-71. It doesn't look so fast here

It looks like my scooter could almost fit inside the exhaust nozzle.

The space shuttle with a new cooling system.

The newest rocket on display. Better hurry, it's only temporary.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:43 PM   #65
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave View Post
Bring it on Win . I appreciate your update as it's also freezing here in VA. I'm guessing you will thaw out in AL before we do. As such, keep posting, so the rest of us can dream of scooters and Huntsville ...
Hang in there Dave, global warming will make a comeback before too long. Meanwhile, i've got some pics coming up that were inspired by your latest report.

After leaving the space museum, I headed east, toward downtown and the mountains. As much as I love the mountains, they were not on my agenda today. There was still plenty of ice on the main roads down here. I had to pay attention where I was riding.

The main roads were clear, especially if they where in the sun.

I had to be careful when turning off the main roads since there was often ice. In some places the center turn lane was covered with ice and snow. The mountains in the background probably got more snow and are most likely treacherous.

So I headed downtown and ended up on a street with some really neat old houses.

I've always been partial to houses with large porches. I grew up in an old house with a large porch with a glider on it. It was a great place to hang out in the summer and sit out a thunderstorm or just watch what was going on in the neighborhood.

This house has a lot of furniture on the porch so I'm guessing it gets used when the weather is warmer.

This next house looks like a place to lock yourself in and the world out. The fence reinforces that image.

Taking a walk might be a little hazardous.

Another great house with multiple porches.

It appears that this road was originally brick and then most of it paved over with asphalt. They left some brick showing on the edge.

A little about the history of this area.

klaviator screwed with this post 01-14-2011 at 05:49 PM
Old 01-15-2011, 02:37 PM   #66
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

After the historical district, I rode through downtown. I didn't stop to take any pics, maybe next time. I did have a bit of adventure as I turned on to a downhill, shady street that was wet with patches of ice. I managed to avoid the ice.

So far, I am really enjoying riding the super 8 in the urban environment. It has plenty of power for most city streets, handles great, and most importantly, it's lots of fun. I can even use full throttle for more than a couple of seconds without risking a ticket.

My next stop is the Huntsville visitor's center. I look around and grab a few brochures. Then I get one of the ladies working at the center to take my picture with "Neal"

I've got almost as much gear on as he does

Then I head back home. It wasn't the most exciting ride I have ever done but it still felt good and was just what I needed for my PMS.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:37 PM   #67
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Oddometer: 1,154
Hi, Win!

I'm enjoying your RR. The scooter looks like a great urban explorer. I recently picked up a new toy and will be ready for Hurricane Creek in the spring!

Yes, he does like ice cream!

Old 01-17-2011, 02:54 PM   #68
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura0107 View Post
..... I recently picked up a new toy and will be ready for Hurricane Creek in the spring!

Nice new toy Laura It should make Hurricane Creek, as well as all the other great riding in NC, lots of fun

I still go back and look at the pics of the ride you, Carmen and I did in Oct. That was a perfect day and I'm glad we took lots of pics.

Now where's the pic of your new toy in the snow???

Old 01-18-2011, 01:12 PM   #69
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Oddometer: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
...Now where's the pic of your new toy in the snow???
I thought about taking one, but we didn't even get enough snow to cover the dead grass, so I just said meh and had some quality nap time.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:26 AM   #70
wanderboy
I just wanna ride,ride

Oddometer: 138
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by soboy View Post
That sounds like a great idea, klaviator!

can I go too, huh, can I, please, please, please
wanderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:09 AM   #71
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderboy View Post
can I go too, huh, can I, please, please, please
Yeah, but only if you ride something small and slow like your new (old?) Hodaka 125. No cheating and bringing the silverwing.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:11 AM   #72
wanderboy
I just wanna ride,ride

Oddometer: 138
Wink

We enjoyed dinner the other night! Also, I picked up my new toy Monday, '08 weestrom. I know what you mean about the scooters being a lot of fun, I ride Z's Silverwing about as much as my RoadKing.
wanderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:28 PM   #73
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

The weather has not exactly been conducive to going out and riding. Cold, rain and snow You'd think it was January or something. This is the south. We are not supposed to have winter for more than a few days

I did get out and ride to the store, but it wasn't worth writing about. I didn't totally waste my time with non-motorcycle activities. I did add some reflective tape and more importantly, AN ADV STICKER, to my tail trunk.

As I was going through some old clothes I came across this interesting old T-shirt.

I picked this up before all the T-shirt vendors renamed it the
"Dragon"

Finally, today the weather got better: sunny and around 50. I took advantage of it to go exploring. I rode back to Rainbow Mountain Park. This time I parked the bike and walked around.

I headed down this trail.

There was a nice view of some small lakes and Madison, Al

ATGATT Hiking???

Interesting rock formation.

The same rock from another angle.

It looked like some kid just stacked a bunch of flat rocks on top of each other. It would need to be a really big kid

Another pile of rocks.

I started down this trail.

But it was a little too wild for the way I was dressed. I was starting to sweat from all the gear I had on.

I enjoy hiking rugged trails like this so I'll come back when I don't have so much gear on.

Tomorrow is supposed to be another great day. I think I'll be going for a longer ride

Old 01-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #74
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I almost forgot the most exciting part of the ride....the full throttle part. After stopping at Wal Mart to pick up some Ice Cream and other less important groceries I stopped at a red light behind two guys on sport bikes. One had a mohawk on his helmet. The other turned around but turned right back when he saw I was only on a scooter.

A quick comment before continueing on. Have you noticed that most american drivers seem to be incapable of going around a curve and accelerating at the same time?? Must be something they are teaching in drivers ed.

Back to my story. We were in a left turn lane and would be turning on to a divided 4 lane. The light turned green. The two sport bikes took off......but like most car drivers seemed incapable of accelerating while in a curve. One guy left his feet down until entirely around the curve. So I motored right past them on the outside and left them in the dust And I didn't even use full throttle and unleash all 11 horsepower

They eventually twisted their throttles and passed me. I decided to see how fast I could go so I finally twisted the throttle wide open
How fast did I go? According to the speedometer, 63 while sitting straight up and 68 when crouched over. Of course, kymco speedometers are known for being very optimistic so actual speed was maybe 55-60. If there had been a speed trap, I doubt I would have gotten a ticket

I guess there is still a little squid left in me

Old 01-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #75
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave View Post
Awesome !
Glad you liked it Dave. Since you like bricks so much, I made sure to get some pics of them today!