User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,936
Metchosin, B.C. (Part 1)

When I set out this afternoon I hadn't planned on this having to be a multi-part day trip, but sometimes things don't go as planned....!

Wanted to start here, making a right hand turn. I occasionally drive a school bus and one of the routes I do requires me going left here, had never been right.

Lots and lots of new construction going on along one end of Happy Valley Road. A metric shit load in fact, which translates into an imperial tonne of new houses. They're springing up everywhere.

This way the road ends up in Langford at an area I know, so it was time to backtrack and head out toward Metchosin. But I'd only gone a few hundred yards when I saw this:

Cool! So I whipped out my camera and started snapping pics. A guy came out of the house and said, "You like them that much?" We started chatting and he asked if I was from New Zealand. Wtf, are you trying to insult me?! I told him I was British and he replied, "Oh, I'm from Wales". I won't hold it against him .

This one was my fave:

It had the original Dutch plate on it still, was a '67.

The guy was great, started to tell me all about the bikes and how he'd come to own them, what work he'd done on them etc. They are all the same make and are all 49cc. He started two of them up for me. One went with one kick of the pedals!

Then he took me into his back garden to show me another that he was still working on.

These three are all from the late '60s/early '70s, but he said he had a shop of others that were from the '30s and '40s. I asked if he was going to be selling those ones, but no, he was keeping them for himself. If you're interested, these ones are each going for $700 OBO. Really cool little scooters, I'm glad I stopped there.

Ok, time to jump back on my own bike and go exploring...and to run into trouble !

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker screwed with this post 01-26-2011 at 10:18 PM
squonker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,260
Nice find.... someone will snap them up and enjoy them all over
Old 01-26-2011, 06:41 PM   #3
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,724
Yesss!!!!!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #4
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Thanks Jenna!

Old 01-27-2011, 09:08 AM   #5
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

I turned off onto a couple of side roads to see what I would find, and there were some pretty nice houses hiding out in the trees.

This place had a couple of dogs that must have been chewing on trees, 'cos every time they opened their mouths, a bark came out. The one on the left looked like it was 400 years old and I suspect that if I'd put my hand through the fence I'd have been licked to death rather than bitten.

Can't remember what the name of this road was, but it was nice and quiet.

Somewhere this caught my attention:

The road turned out to be very short, perhaps only 0.5km, and a dead end to boot. People keep their properties looking immaculate around here, though.

Then it was back onto the main road

and some of this

Old 01-27-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,419

Ben , I like this one and I am sure in your European travels you enjoyed sharing roads with all of the above with out the sign or the fog strip or even a center line. In parts of Poland/Russia in 1991, I would be dodging wagons with pigs, loose cattle,people walking, tractors pulling everything one can imagine and cars using the middle of the road for passing a truck even though there would be another truck meeting us. It was a real challenge but one quickly learns to DODGE towards the empty spaces.

Keep up this ride!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572583
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Hi Gale,

I remember driving in Romania in 1990 in the dark in the countryside...no lights anywhere, and I'd come up behind a horse-drawn cart with no lights or reflectors on it at all. I'd have only enough time to swerve into the other lane and go around, no chance of being able to slam on the brakes in time. Pretty wild, that experience!

Old 01-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #8
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,803
I hope he goes to Kangaroo Road
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #9
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl

Never mind, you inspired me and I went out and rode Kangaroo Road myself
A Cougar goes racing
Old 01-27-2011, 09:50 PM   #10
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Did you snap any pics?

Old 01-27-2011, 09:51 PM   #11
homeontherange
Ochlophobiac

Oddometer: 207

nice pic...always wanted to see a pink crosswalk...
Old 01-27-2011, 09:58 PM   #12
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker View Post
Did you snap any pics?
Not this trip - I took my camera but I was having too much fun to stop and take any
A Cougar goes racing
Old 01-28-2011, 06:00 AM   #13
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeontherange View Post
nice pic...always wanted to see a pink crosswalk...
Egads! I hadn't noticed that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl
Not this trip - I took my camera but I was having too much fun to stop and take any
I know exactly what you mean! I've always wanted to post pics up here from Humpback Rd and Ross Durance Rd, but I am incapable of pulling the bike over in those situations! Maybe one of these days I'll wait until I'm in a bad mood and try it then...!

Speaking of which, the road I was on now was much better than I remembered. Although that sign suggested 30 km/h for the corners, that was waaaay over cautious and I don't think anyone would have any trouble at taking the nice, sweeping turns at twice that. Not always that much traffic on that road, either .

They were corners like these, which I snapped on another side road that grabbed my attention.

I stopped in here at the Metchosin Store.

I have a couple of friends that work there and thought I'd see whether either of them were in. She was working, and while we were inventing a machine that measures the firmness of your butt (don't ask!), he came stopped in too and we had the craic for a while.

I told them I was on my way to the jail because not only is it in a pretty spectacular location, but I have a funny story about it that I wanted to share here. I referred earlier to things not always working out as planned...well, now I have two stories about the jail...

They told me that they had heard from others that the guards didn't like people pulling up in the parking lot and snapping pictures - which is exactly what I was planning to do! But whatever, it isn't illegal as far as I know and I wasn't even going to have to hang around long enough to shut the bike off.

Before I left, I snapped this shot from the 'mall' over the road from the store.

Actually the road from the store to the jail is another where I was aware I should have stopped and taken shots. There are some tight corners, and some great views of the ocean on your left. I have to go back now anyway since things were about to go to shit, and I'll make more of an effort to stop next time.

On making it to the jail I was planning my lightening quick photo session and hoping that I'd be fast enough to avoid being shouted at. As I rode into the parking lot there I pulled in the clutch to shift into first, and...

...my engine quit! You have to be kidding me! I hit the starter and she wouldn't run so now I'm not only worried about getting back home, but at any minute I'm expecting to be screamed at, too. I purposely kept my helmet on while coasting to the far corner of the lot, furthest away from the guards. I snapped a couple of pics while I was there anyway...

The gates are up this way. I suspect that it's when you pull up right outside them and hop out with your camera that you get an earful..

So now I'm stranded there with a bike that won't start, checking the carb and obvious things like the kill swtch, hoping that I'm not about to cop a load of grief. I try to push the bike up the hill out of the parking lot at least so that it is off the property, but I'm too puny for that.

Resigned to the fact that I am going to have to take the tank off to see what's going on, I open my tool tube to find that I have all my big tools with me and none of my small ones, so nothing with which to take off the tank.

I'm starting to make a mental list of which friends have trucks when I manage to get the bike going by giving it loads of throttle as I'm turning it over, and as long as I keep the rpms up, she keeps running. I decide to make a dash for home, but I wasn't relishing the thought of having to ride through downtown with all the stop lights and traffic and not being able to idle.

I drive away and have to pull over to adjust an ear plug, and when I pull out onto the road again it is behind a school bus, which promptly puts on its flashers and I stall again when I have to stop! I pull right over and wait for a few mins to let it get ahead.

I have to go to work, but to cut a long story short I got the bike home and will work at it over the weekend and head out again next week to continue this ride. Look out for 'Metchosin (Part 2), and I'll start again back at the jail with the original funny story I was going to tell about it.

And I'll get pics from Kangaroo Road!

squonker screwed with this post 01-28-2011 at 09:26 AM
Old 01-28-2011, 08:46 AM   #14
ToniBraxton
Weeeee

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker View Post

Kaptein Mobylette!
I used to have one of these My parents had one stored in the garage fo my brother and me. When I turned 16 in 1995 it was my turn to own it. Strangely enough my friends didn't think I was cool

The thing was a complete disaster. You had to walk with it while driving away otherwise it would fall over, topspeed was 25 km/hr while a helmet is mandatory for legal reasons (normal mopeds do 45 km/hr in Holland). Every bicyclist accelerated faster at the traffic lights.

Biggest problem was that from time to time it just stopped running. Than you had to twist the little switch (wingnut) next to the pedal and it magically transformed into the worlds heaviest and most uncomfortable bicycle ever. Imagine being 6"2 and cycling that thing for a few miles while being drunk.

Best thing of all was that I had the original luggage rack above the front wheel, especially made for a cool shopping basket
ToniBraxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:31 AM   #15
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Good to hear the other side of the story, 'cos the dude selling them was talking them up something rotten! Hardly surprising, I suppose .

I still think it's a pretty cool ride...as long as I'm not the one riding it!