Oddometer: 5,528
Walking back,

dwellings in a row:

and,

Huh?

I love everything about this little bubble trailer,

We got ice cream,

Stopped in here for a night-cap,

and called it a day. (am I channeling "On the Waterfront", or what?)

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:55 AM   #3857
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
the light got REALLY good.

You know I was just thinking that while I enjoy the videos and commentary therein I really missed the great pics from past trips. This is a great example. That said, however you do it I'll read and look. Thanks for taking the time to share.

John

BTW You need to check out DockingPilot's Forever West thread. It would make a killer Mobius trip.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:53 AM   #3858
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,827
I might have missed it somewhere, but I have to think you are carrying a better camera with you, on this leg of the trip?? I have read all of the Mobius RR's, and this one has the best shots by far.

Spectacular:

DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #3859
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 10,236
Quote:
Smell-o-vision: seaside salty scent

Ten cars. Rush hour??

Thanks for cranking this stuff out. See ya' in a week...
Old 01-14-2011, 12:06 PM   #3860
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Photo gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
I might have missed it somewhere, but I have to think you are carrying a better camera with you, on this leg of the trip??
Well, as a matter of fact, yes I DID.

Besides the gear, the big difference is shooting in RAW, and spending some care and attention (ie. lots of time and energy) processing the images in Lightroom before uploading to SmugMug and linking them into the ride report.

Just as a point of reference, before posting the next day of the trip, I have to run through 193 photos and video. You'll see just how long that takes me since I'm going to start right after the next post.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 01-14-2011, 12:19 PM   #3861
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day 13 stats & maps

(Click on images below for bigger versions)

Old 01-14-2011, 01:03 PM   #3862
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,827
Quote:
Well, as a matter of fact, yes I DID.

Besides the gear, the big difference is shooting in RAW, and spending some care and attention (ie. lots of time and energy) processing the images in Lightroom before uploading to SmugMug and linking them into the ride report.

Just as a point of reference, before posting the next day of the trip, I have to run through 193 photos and video. You'll see just how long that takes me since I'm going to start right after the next post.
well, it definitely shows..that is for sure..and I do not even have a trained eye.

From looking at the EXIF data, I saw what camera it was...after I asked the question. Nice.

(Ok, enough from me..back to the RR)
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:06 PM   #3863
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,852
I don't know how I could be so busy to miss all of this.

I have been overwhelmed with it all---everything.

I've never been to Canada or alaska---but may this year.

thanks so much DR and LDF

Me and my wife both were mesmerized by the photo's--she's been prodding me for years to do this ride.

You told so much helpful info---for someone like me that may ride up there someday. But until your story----I've been a little put off about going---since most stories are on so much pavement--people riding big bikes on easy roads I didn't think I'd enjoy it----but you sought out the dirt with a vengeance on your small but very capable bikes---you did it my style---thanks again.

The thing you never mentioned---and if you don't want to don't---but what were you paying for lodging and camping in Canada and Alaska on an average ?????

BigDog
Old 01-16-2011, 05:01 AM   #3864
Moose_DK
No stress

Oddometer: 592
Its really fun to read your RR, and especially when we have been the same places..
Just spend this summer on a trip to Alaska, and we have been standing excactly the same places taking pictures.

It seems like you had a great trip!

Our RR: M & M Touring the states. July 2009 to January 2010
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...8#post10289818

Our danish blog
http://touringthestates.blogspot.com/

-------------------------
morgen stunden har guld i munden
men kan også ha ondt i hovedet
Moose_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:19 PM   #3865
rugbyrtcwka
railroader

Oddometer: 512
"the big difference is shooting in RAW"

It would never have occured to me that taking pictures well your naked would make that much difference in the picture quality. Must have been a pain in the a$$ to get off bike, strip, take pic, get dressed, repaet at next photo op. Great pictures though!

I suggest you don't employ that strategy in more populated arias.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:23 PM   #3866
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 10,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbyrtcwka View Post
I suggest you don't employ that strategy
in more populated arias.
I always thought arias were solo.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:07 PM   #3867
rugbyrtcwka
railroader

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
I always thought arias were solo.
Yes true! But I always use the first rule of internet comunication. Don't matter if U spell it wrong as long as U're unnerstood.

I actually thought the spelling of repeat was worst, but left it anyway.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:28 AM   #3868
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Hey Mark,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
The thing you never mentioned---and if you don't want to don't---but what were you paying for lodging and camping in Canada and Alaska on an average ?????
BigDog
thanks so much for the kind words, and for stopping by... Both you and Gaspipe have provided tremendous inspiration for us, not only do the trip, but to do it justice in documenting it in the ride report. You guys have really been generous in dispensing advice and routes and tracks, and gracious in how you do it. I've never really taken the opportunity to thank you, but there you have it.

To answer your question about lodging costs -- in general, the further north you get, the more everything costs -- except when it's free. Because we're only out for two weeks, and not particularly on a tight budget, we're at liberty to splurge for a hotel room if we want to. That said, I can't think of many times we didn't opt for the least expensive choice when there was a choice.

Inuvik, I think we paid $180 for the night, but we were beat up from riding, needed to dry out our gear, were rolling in late, wanted to get an easy dinner, and an early start the next morning. The cheaper places were potentially sketchy, and we felt like we had earned a little luxury for making it there.

That gets averaged into all the free night's lodging: Engineer creek camping, Anchorage camping at the Harley dealer, 40-mile creek camping,
and the cheap camping ($6-$15/night) at some of the private or state camps.

While the less expensive motels can be had for $30-$80/night in the lower 48, up north, they're generating their entire annual income from only a few weeks of the tourist season. I'm struggling trying to remember how much each night's lodging cost.

Honestly, the reason I can't recall is that in most cases, we're not shopping around for the best deal -- we get to our day's destination, find whatever's available, and I hand them a credit card if any money is required. We pretty much take what we can get, understanding that just as often as we might have to pay a little more than we'd like to for a motel, we also get lucky and camp for free somewhere. Let me review my credit card bill. Be right back.

OK, here's the official Motel tally for the two weeks of MVI:
Cantwell (Backwoods lodge) AK: $135
Beaver Creek, YT (Westmark inn): $90
MacKenzie Hotel, Inuvik: $206
Hart D Ranch, AK: $143
Chitina Hotel, AK: $165
Keystone Hotel, Valdez: $100

Of all the other nights camping (and tent-space), half cost us nothing, and half were <$15 or so.

Total lodging expenses for Mobius 6 averaged about $60/night, with a range from $0-$206.

Looking at the credit card statement, we spent about the same amount on gas as on bourbon.

Regarding food, we eat well when we can, otherwise cook cheap. We probably average $30/day for food, but again with a huge range from $0 (fresh caught sockeye salmon on the beach at Seward, AK, to $150/meal+drinks if we find a nice restaurant and we want to splurge.)

Clearly others have done trips spending less (and some more). We enjoy camping and cooking when we can, but we have no problems spending money on a nice hotel or meal as appropriate.

Hope this helps.
d
Old 01-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #3869
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day 14: Thursday, August 19, 2010

This would be a cheater day -- a VERY short ride from the motel to the ferry, then the ferry from Valdez to Whittier, and another short hop back to Anchorage.

It was a foggy morning;

but no issues getting on the ferry.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #3870
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We boarded

the ferry, and it looked like the fog wold be burning off soon.

We found seats inside, in the front part of the boat, but withing minutes we were surrounded by German tourists. I mean surrounded, we could hardly breathe. Plus, they were giving us the stinkeye for having our dirty riding gear piled up next to our seats.

So I went on an expeditionary walk-about to scout alternatives, and found...

the Solarium™ !

where we settle in.